Your most overused/favourite makeup technique or trick?

litlaur

I tend to use the same shape for eyeshadow.
- one color on the lid
- slightly darker shade in crease area (I have hooded lids...but where the crease would be. Make sense?)
- darkest shade on outer corner/v
- highlight
- sometimes the darkest shade or a contrasting shade on the lower lashline

I also do subtle contouring with the more neutral/brown MSFs like Naked You and So Ceylon.

I apply Smashbox Brow Tech wax before brow color for more defined brows.

Kat

I also stick to the same technique with my e/s, especially during the week before work (i get more creative on the weekends or when I go out at night).

Darker colour on the lid, lighter colour of the same family in the crease and blended up a little just into my under brow highlight...and then of course either the darker lid colour to line or a totally contrasting colour (today I did woodwinked on lid, all that glitters in crease, shroom to highlight and zonk bleu to line).

And sushi_flower - you are so right about the outer lashes and giving them more attention with mascara.

Thanks girls - i have a few new tips to try out now, especially about cheek colour!

user4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
Giving your outer lashes more attention when applying mascara, makes a hige difference to me.

SO TRUE!!!

caffn8me

Two tricks - lining the lower waterline with Fascinating Kohl to make the eyes really open up and mixing Iridescent Powder with whatever foundation I happen to be using which gives the skin a "depth".

BlahWah

Using a contrasting colour on my inner lid/inner corner. It makes my eyes appear less far apart.
tong.gif

jessiekins1

only lining my lower lid half way to the centre of the pupil- it makes my eyes appear larger.

applying mascara to the outer lashes first and rolling the wand as close to the roots as i can and then pulling it out to the ends- plumps and lifts my lashes, opens up my eyes.

applying a darker blush under my cheekbone and a lighter one on my cheekbone- simple highlight and contour.

the old lipstick blot.

encore.gif

divaster

My most over-used and basically my only used e/l technique is the black eyeliner on the top lid only, and heavy black mascara on the top lashes only. I can't stop doing it. Anytime I line my lower lashes it closes up my eye. Anything on my waterline has never worked for me. So, now, 99 days out of 100, no matter what e/s I'm wearing, I have a semi-thick/smudged line of black Stila Smudge Pot on my upper lid, extending just a bit past the outer corner, turning up a bit. I just say it's my "thing".

Oonie

I always bend the mascara brush so that it curves slightly. Makes applying mascara to the entire lash area pretty easy.

productjunkie

I try to use my brushes in inconventional ways... like my 217 brush used for a concealer brush. It just makes everything so much more airbrushed and not so harsh.

Shavwi

I've totally overused this look, but it's my super easy smoky eye look -
one color on the lid (any color), print e/s in the crease and outer v and smudged into upper and lower lashline with my 219 brush and seedy pearl as a highlight on browbone and inner corners. It's super easy and works every time
smiles.gif

I usually wear this with my Tarte Park Avenue Princess bronzer and Tarte's Charm powder blush and seedy pearl e/s brushed over that as a highlight. Lips are Politely Pink with Oyster Girl l/g over that. I've been wearing that a lot lately
smiles.gif

Klava

Quote:
I try to use my brushes in inconventional ways... like my 217 brush used for a concealer brush. It just makes everything so much more airbrushed and not so harsh.

Oh, I agree, I just tried it today and what a difference compared to 194!

kalice

no matter what eye shadow I wear, I always use a light shimmery colour on the lower inner corners of my eye (stopping about halfway). It brightens up my eye completely

User67

I think someone else mentioned this as well. I do my lid color, crease color (usually a frost or velvet finish) blend it well & do my highlight color. Then I go back with the 219 or the top of the 213 I define the crease with a darker matte color that's in the same color family. It's really adds dimension & plus I get bored doing the whole crease & outer V thing sometimes.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaqua
Fix+... I must spray it on me at least 5 times thoughout the course of a normal make-up application, and a bunch of times during the day. Oh, and I am thinking of putting it in my carryon for when I fly to San Juan in a little over a week. I hate how dry my skin gets on planes...

You might want to check up on the new security regulations for your flight, in most airports it's not allowed to have carry-on liquid products anymore since that foiled bombing attempt a while back. If you do have liquids in your carry-on, and it's not allowed, you'll be forced to leave it behind without a chance to reclaim it. Just a heads up.

oddinary

Have to agree with the layering blushes one - single coloured blushes are so flat! It's better to have 3 colours going on, all blended together for that beautiful 3D look
winks.gif
Plus, to make it last all day... Fix+ is your friend!

Probably old news, but I like to touch a little pigment into the centre of my lips for a nice pouty lip of course!

zaralovesmac

I don't really have any tricks but my fav. technique although I guess it's not really a 'technique'...is applying eyeliner!It was probably the first make-up product I ever owned and I just can't live without my little pencils or fluidline(I only have one,Blacktrack!).I always used to wear only black eyeliner but I recently discovered blues and browns..MAC has such a great variety of eyeliners..luv it!I always apply it to the outer third of my top lash line with a little 'flick' and to the bottom waterline.
thmbup.gif

miztgral

I love using my finger (not brush) to just dab some white eyeshadow and do a line down the bridge of my nose to make it look sharper (but not too much as to see a white stripe! haha)