Your most overused/favourite makeup technique or trick?

dollypink

highlighting my tear ducts to make me look more awake
tong.gif

jenee.sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Two tricks - lining the lower waterline with Fascinating Kohl to make the eyes really open up

I DO THAT TOO!!
thmbup.gif
but its staying power isn't big. Do you set it with a white or highlighting e/s color to make it stay? Or do you have another trick to make it stay? Too bad Fascinating doesn't come in technakohl.

beth_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlelilien
Lining my upper waterline. I used to see people do that in tutorials and think "What's the point of that? The upper waterline doesn't even show" but then I tried it and it makes everything look 10 times better.

The exact same thing. I do it every single day!

ShortnSassy

hmm let's see. some MUSTS:

*green concealer to counteract my red spots on my face

*sonia kashuk brow wax followed up by a dark brown shadow=perfect brows every time.

*TIGHTLINE. i can't even tell you how awful liner looks in photos of girls who are "makeup artists" where their liner if either far from the actual waterline or their smokey eye has skin peeking through because they didn't tightline. i can honestly say it's one of the number 1 mistakes that "professionals" make.

*lashes. always.

*my signature is really intense cat eye. not like, kind of winged cat eye. i'm talking massive amounts of liner. my friends joke that i look asian sometimes... i always say thank you.
smiles.gif

Caderas

Mine is highlighting the top of my cheekbone with Pink Opal or a cream product such as Pearl CCB!!

I know once my hair is darker, I'm going to fill in my brows dark but with the tail being a deeper-coordinating color to what ever make-up I have on. Say.. Pink lips? Dark pink brow tail. Green shadow? Forest/Olive green brow tail. I saw a MUA do it ages ago, and have yet to see it since, and I LOVE IT!

reesesilverstar

Tight lining my upper lashline. It really helps when you have hooded lids to take down some of the droopy that regular lining does.

franken_stein

When I tried out a dark smoky eye, I put a small dot of white shimmer on my bottom lashline, right in the center. I had a small sample of a Sephora eyeshadow called Aspen Summit (I probably got it by accumulating those points, I don't really remember!) and it worked so well.

I tried it again later using MAC Shroom (the lightest MAC shadow I have), and it barely showed up! Those colors aren't dupes - but it was similar enough that I wanted to try it out and I was convinced Shroom would look better. I had this idea fixed into my head that MAC shadows are better than Sephora shadows - and I still think that's true in general - but in this one situation, the Sephora one wins!

Nicala

The EASIEST way to get glitter off your face!! Grab a piece of scotch/magic tape, tape it to the back of your hand. Then put the tape over the sparklies, and it will take it away
smiles.gif

uh_oh_disco

- Use a cream blush over liquid foundation, followed by a powder blush for cheeks which will stay bright and fresh all day.

- Use a waterproof liquid eyeshadow/ eyeliner as your eyeshadow base and your eyeshadow will be budge proof, heat proof and party proof! Love this for nights out and concerts.

- Lipsticks can be used for cream blush, too! Just smudge a bit from the tube onto the back of your hand, warm it up with your finger tips and apply to the apples of your cheeks. THE easiest way to tone in your blush with your lips.

- Sweep a bit of your cheek highlight onto your brow bone, great to liven up your eyes in a neutral look.

- Always, always, ALWAYS shape your eyebrows - don't let them be unruly! Also fill them in if they're a bit bare. I can't stress how much more professional and polished your make-up will look!

They're my top tips, I used them aaaall the time
smiles.gif

Fiberluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortnSassy
hmm let's see. some MUSTS:

*green concealer to counteract my red spots on my face

*sonia kashuk brow wax followed up by a dark brown shadow=perfect brows every time.

*TIGHTLINE. i can't even tell you how awful liner looks in photos of girls who are "makeup artists" where their liner if either far from the actual waterline or their smokey eye has skin peeking through because they didn't tightline. i can honestly say it's one of the number 1 mistakes that "professionals" make.

*lashes. always.

*my signature is really intense cat eye. not like, kind of winged cat eye. i'm talking massive amounts of liner. my friends joke that i look asian sometimes... i always say thank you.
smiles.gif

What's that? I've never heard of it.

Thanks!

kittykit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorne_again
i didn't think i had any tricks until i read this thread and it reminded me of some things i do!

highlighters:
-use matte white/light shadow as highlighter on brows, inner corners, and above outter 1/3 of eyebrows(yup, ABOVE your brows) for mostly neutral looks - it opens up your eyes naturally, as shimmery highlighters are often really distracting and unnatural looking
-no matter what colour family i am using, i always use gesso/brule/nylon/pollen/magic dust etc. as a neutral off-white highlighter right under the brow, b/c a different colour shimmer (like pink opal) look unnatural to me, and then there is a harsh division between the skin under your brow (pink opal colour) and the rest of your face. if i do want to use those colours to highlight, i put it on mid brow, and graduate it up to the neutral colour, if that makes sense!

This is what I do everyday after defining my brows. Brule is my most used e/s.

nunu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberluver
What's that? I've never heard of it.

Thanks!

It's when you line your upper water lashline.

kenmei

My most overused "trick" is red lipstick. Honestly. On a lazy day, or on one where I might have say, 10 minutes to do my makeup... I put on some red lipstick (takes 5 minutes to do it carefully), tinted moisturizer, and mascara. That's it. A pull together, classic look in 10 minutes. Best trick ever.

jardinaires

i have a few.

black mascara on the top lashes, brown mascara on the bottom lashes. usually i'll use zoom lash mascara in zoomblack on my top lashes, and dazzle lash mascara in star brunette on my bottom lashes. i also always use prep + prime lash.

my favorite makeup technique is mixing a little pigment (generally either vanilla or naked, depending on the look i want) into my foundation to give my skin a glow, and then using a mixture of strobe cream and vanilla pigment on the top of my cheekbones to further illuminate my face. usually i also put some vanilla on the inner corners of my eyes to open them some. do that, with a little bronzer on the cheeks and eyelids, a nice groomed brow, defined lashes, moist lips, and you look wide awake.

as far as my most overused makeup trick, it's definitely putting a light shimmery color (shroom, crystal avalanche, naked lunch, etc) on my inner corner. i do this almost every time i do makeup, unless it's more dramatic. i also always end up using wedge eyeshadow somewhere in or around my crease. also, tinted lip conditioners. i love them. petting pink makes your lips look SO healthy and full. it's rare to see me without some strobe cream on my face, NW20 moisturecover concealer under my eyes, my eyebrows filled in with strut brow pencil, and petting pink on my lips.

aradhana

- using a warm red-toned liner on the lower lash line, e.g. raven or teddy for that doe-eyed look

-cream blusher applied under foundation for a more glowy look

LeopardLove

Mine is using a bit of shadow primer on my lid and lightly along my lower lashline, then lining with a 266 and shadow! I get the most pigmented, beautiful looking liner ever that way, and it stays put.

I also love mixing concealer with gloss and lipsticks to create nude lips.

My other fav is applying concealer after foundation. That way u only apply exactly what u need, ur foundation may cover better then u think. Waiting helps take away that cakey look also, esp underneath the eyes.