Your most overused/favourite makeup technique or trick?

user79

I sometimes use scotch tape to tape off the area outside the outer eye where I don't want to get any eyeshadow on it to make a pointy cat eye look.

I also use while kohl liner on my waterline to make my eyes pop.

Putting a highlighter such as MSF or irridescent powder just above my eyebrows and on the bridge of my nose to add depth and highlights to the face.

Use concealor on my lips to "white out" pigmented lips for doing a nude liplook. I put lipglass or lipstick overtop though.

Dusting translucent powder underneath the eyes to catch eyeshadow fall out. At the end of the application, I sweep away the powder with big fluff brush and it sweeps away the fall out as well without leaving streaks.

geeko

Using lightscapade to highlight my t-zone and undereye area.

and i always use at least 2 blushers...one as the base color...the other (usually a beauty powder or msf with shimmers) to top it off so that it looks more glowy

oh and i only line half of my lower lash line as lining the entire eye will make my eyes look smaller.

blueyedlady87

Had to add-

I am really into winging out my eyeshadow lately. I always use eyeshadow to line and I started just bringing it a little up and further than usual. It really opens my eyes and makes them more awake. (6 hours does not constitute beauty sleep unfortunately!)

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_willb
not my personal trick but a bunch of my friends always to this to turn themselfs into girls...hehe

to hide their "umi's" (beard) or (5 o'clock shaddow) they blast wet and wild bright red lip stick which is only like 99 cents all over there chins and jaw line.Then take full coverage foundation with a spounge and buff it out.Then contour with highlighting powder the jaw line and chin.Then brush off with loose powder.

AND YOUR A WOMAN!!!!

I personally dont do drag but I know a bunch of guys that do and they got some tricks.

Why would having a slightly red face hide stubble? :S

LatinaRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_doll_713
I am in love with this technique:
I use a darker crease color and put it on w/ the 219 pencil brush and then I go over it in a similar, slightly lighter color w/ the 224 and blend. It makes perfect crease colors every time!

I do this too!! Knight Devine and Carbon, Blue pigment and Contrast, Fuchsia pigment and Beauty Marked, etc.

beauty_marked

ditto on the fix+. i use it religiously.

also recently at MAC the lazy MA kept giving me the wrong shade (nc45, i needed nc50) in the moisturecover concealer. but when i applied it at home it was just too ashy looking on my skin. But over the weekend i find that when i apply a little with the wand to my eye and then use a sponge applicator to smudge it in, it gives a nice base and holds my eyeshadows very well.

also i bend all my mascara wands (except for my diorshow). they really make my lashes look amazing.

Showgirl

I do a lot of the things you lovely Specktrites have already listed

- 2 shades of blush to contour face
- loose powder under eyes
- shimmer on inner corner of eye to widen eyes and make 'em pop
- mascara concentrated on outer corners and top lashes only to widen eyes

other tips:

- to make lips look fuller, apply a clear, supersparkly gloss in the middle bottom lip only on top of well blotted lipstick.

- This is probably quite a naughty tip, I'm sure it's not good for your skin but I sometimes use a spritz of unscented hairspray, sprayed from about a foot away from myself with eyes closed, as a fixative for my makeup. I only do this for "big" nights out where I'm wearing really bold makeup that I don't want to budge, and it seems to work really well....

CaraAmericana

I don't like put white liner on my bottom waterline because I like to put a color kohl there but I will instead apply the white liner to my UPPER waterline to pop the eyes out.

valley

Pushing liquid eyeliner into my lash line. I used to do the obvious 60's type thick black line when I 'started out' but I really like the subtle emphasis I can get from this technique. It was a happy day when I realized my only options were NOT tightlining or 'the black swoosh'.

bjorne_again

i didn't think i had any tricks until i read this thread and it reminded me of some things i do!

highlighters:
-use matte white/light shadow as highlighter on brows, inner corners, and above outter 1/3 of eyebrows(yup, ABOVE your brows) for mostly neutral looks - it opens up your eyes naturally, as shimmery highlighters are often really distracting and unnatural looking
-no matter what colour family i am using, i always use gesso/brule/nylon/pollen/magic dust etc. as a neutral off-white highlighter right under the brow, b/c a different colour shimmer (like pink opal) look unnatural to me, and then there is a harsh division between the skin under your brow (pink opal colour) and the rest of your face. if i do want to use those colours to highlight, i put it on mid brow, and graduate it up to the neutral colour, if that makes sense!

mascara:
curl lashes carefully, apply mascara, and hold either wand, makeup brush, or fingers horizontally under lashes pushing up the base of the mascara til it dries. my lashes stay realllly curled that way!

liner:
i always smudge a dark brown or black shadow into my lashline b/c i can never get my liquid/khol/fluidline in between my lashes and it makes my lashes look thicker and you dont get that icky flesh between the lashes thing going on.

lipstick:
-use concealer all around edges of mouth, blended onto the lip a bit
-use Urban Decay Primer Potion over the concealer - it is PERFECT!
-use a lip brush to apply colour, and i almost never use a lip pencil.
my lip colour never feathers and always looks amazing for a lonnnng time this way, and reapplication is a breeze cause the colour stays put!

iamlelilien

Lining my upper waterline. I used to see people do that in tutorials and think "What's the point of that? The upper waterline doesn't even show" but then I tried it and it makes everything look 10 times better.

Dreamergirl3

my most overused 'tricks' would be:
-adding shimmer to the OUTER corner of the eye, in addition to or instead of the inner corner.

-using a highlighting/luminizing powder to 'clean up' and 'straighten out' the edges of winged shadow on the outer corner

-when wanting a heavy liner look, always TIGHTLINE!!! It's pretty much vital IMHO when doing a smokey eye.

-using a velour powder puff on my ring finger, velour facing out, as a sort of pad and barrier for my hand to rest on my face. That way, instead of resting your 'non brush' fingers on the skin, it's just the puff. It really helps prevent your face makeup from smudging, esp. if you work a lot on other people.

-as mentioned, layering blushes. A fun thing is also layering bronzers. I like to use light pigmented/transluscent bronzers first, then keep layering/contouring with darker colors, then if needed, adding a shimmery bronzer on areas to highlight. sounds like a lot but of course you do it with a light hand and buff buff buff!

-paying attention to undertones. Saves SO much time if you wonder why you look sallow or tired, when you're wearing a really warm cheek with a cool lip. Unless, it's intentional
winks.gif

-putting a crease color slightly above the actual fold/crease. I guess, kinda like creating a new crease... I notice this is done a lot on TV. It's hard for me to explain, but I've seen Carmindy do it a lot, Stacey London likes to do it (actually I bet she has Carmindy do it lol), and Tyra Banks.

-For mineral makeup, I prefer bronzer FIRST, then mineral makeup, buff buff buff, then more bronzer touch ups if needed

-the brighter the blush, the softer the brush is a general rule of mine. That way, it picks up less color and really softens the application, as well as help in creating a more airbrushed look

-Purposely loading up my lip brush (one with a cap) with product before leaving the house. An easy way for touchups.

-saving mascara wands from old tubes. Often times I find I hate most mascaras because the brushes suck, not the formulas. So if that happens, I'll pick a diff one from my mascara brush collection. Keep them clean and take care of them, they should last you and really come in handy.

-applying bronzer as the first face color after the base is done. Helps keep everything in balance

-using two curlers. A reg one first, then a smaller one like Sephoras or japonesqe for the outer corners.

-using an eyeliner brush that resembles more of a lip brush for blending pencil liner. It's the ONLY brush I'll use for blending pencils.

-blotting the face before using powder. I use less powder that way, and less powder is always a good thing IMO. My fav is tissue paper, or rolling papers. A side plus is often you'll find after blotting you may not even need powder at all. Also helps makeup last longer.

-adding some foundation (just a teensy bit) to concealer and mix before using. Gives a great consistency and perfect color. this is great if you sometimes OD on concealer.

whew! hahaha. hth
greengrin.gif

Matrix_doll

I love love love using Mac's brow set in Show off to define my eyebrows and following up with Rich ground fluidline on top I get tons of girl your brows are fierce comments.

StArCaNdY

I only line half of my bottom lashline to make my eyes look bigger
and since my eyebrows are really sparse i fill them in with Anastacia's brunette eyebrow powder using a stencil and then i take a little piece of tissue and pass that over the eyebrows lightly. That makes it look less harsh and more natural.

I always bring my eyeliner a bit outside the lashline for that cat eye look.

And for foundation first i wet a sponge wedge and that gives it a more flawless look.

Thats all I can think of for now
wavey.gif

Hilly

So you don't get lipstick on your teeth, make kissy lips around your finger in your mouth and then pull your finger out. Off comes lipstick that may end up elsewhere
smiles.gif

Pucker up buttercup!

Also, I like to put a tad of Melon piggie on top of lipgloss.

Vasaline makes a good eye shadow base when applied sparsely and evenly.

Charcoal Brown Eyeshadow for my eyebrows

Shroom as my highlight and to soften dark colors in my crease (for work friendly looks)

Azuresyren

Applying a white highlighting shimmer on the inner corners of my eyes and cupid bow to give things an ethereal kind of lift. I do it almost with every look.

_Drugz

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltweekstar
i always put white eyeshadow on the inner corners of my eyes to make them pop

I knew someone else had to do this, except with me i use white eyeliner.