187 Brush Owners: Do they generally have a problem w/shedding?

SoSoAmazin

Hi lovelies
smiles.gif
I have a 187se that I've had since november from the holiday set and it sheds like crazy! It may be because I wash it a lot (maybe 2x per week) but I have to cuz I use it for foundation and I don't want bacteria build-up.. KWIM? I use MAC's brush cleanser and most times my gentle facial soap since that cleans it better. Anyway, my 187se just isn't as full and dense anymore and I feel like upgrading to a regular 187, but first I want to know if the shedding is a common thing cuz I don't want to drop some serious $$$ on a brush that will end up just like my other one
ssad.gif

So, can you 187 owners tell me if your brushes shed a lot?

Thanks for your input!
greengrin.gif

Divinity

I've had my full size 187 for years and never had a problem. I get a few hairs shedding once in a while, which is totally normal, but nothing like you are describing. Maybe you got a lemon 187se? I vote you get the full size considering you use it so much.

mena22787

well i know the se brushes aren't as good of quality as the regular brushes. i have a regular 187 and the first few weeks i had it it shed quite a bit, but it sheds less and less (i wash mine once a week, and i use it for foundation too). it definitely sheds the most out of all my brushes too. i'd stick w/ ur se for now until it's just too shredded to use, and then upgrade to a regular 187. i've heard ppl having their reg 187s for maybe 4-5 yrs and they're still going strong. hth!

elegant-one

Not had any problems with shedding, but i switched to cleaning mine with Wet Ones (red cap) antibacterial wipes. That way I can switch colors right away without having a wet brush, plus i like the antibacterial cleaning.

I did notice that my holiday 187se seemed much fuller than the brand new long handle one I just bought at the MAC store

TamEva Le Fay

Funny...I just posted this yesterday. Forgive TamEva for reposting this here!

O.K. is it me, or is the 187 brush a bitch to clean and maintain?!?

I just finally got this brush, used it once (loved it, I get what all the hype was about!) and, of course, had to clean it. Easier said than done! Every time I thought I was done rinsing the brush and went to dry it with a clean towel I could hear and feel the baby shampoo still in the bristles. Back to the sink to rinse 3 times over. I still don't think I was able to fully rinse the shampooo out of it.

And then trying to shape it so that it doesn't look like I bought it from Walgreens for $3.99...uhhhh...should I be worried about this brush?

Is this brush really that high maintenance?
shockt.gif

I eventually put it in its original sleeve part way so that it would bind the bristles and hung it upside down as I do with all my brushes - it's taking for ever to dry. And that sleeve will only last so long ( I suppose I could use saran wrap)

Am I the only one that's having upkeep drama with this brush???
th_dunno.gif

And don't laugh, but a very intelligent friend of mine suggested we clean our natural hair brushes with...
...you guessed it - Dog shampoos and conditioners!
shockt.gif

Allowing for a more compatible Ph balance found in most animal hair. Your thoughts anyone?

Oh and yes mine sheds as well, but I believe that's the nature of the beast with new brushes. Oh what a joy it is to pick long black hairs off and out of your freshly laid makeup! Good times! Good times!

SoSoAmazin

Thanks for all your input
smiles.gif
I suppose it is just the quality of the mass-produced SEs (and I knew there was a quality diff. when I bought the set, but I didn't know it would be like this! lol) I would wait until it was totally too shredded like Mena suggested, but my b-day's coming up and I'm planning a haul
greengrin.gif
Maybe I'll just reserve my 187se for powders.

Thanks again!
winkiss.gif

SoSoAmazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamEva Le Fay
Funny...I just posted this yesterday. Forgive TamEva for reposting this here!

O.K. is it me, or is the 187 brush a bitch to clean and maintain?!?

I just finally got this brush, used it once (loved it, I get what all the hype was about!) and, of course, had to clean it. Easier said than done! Every time I thought I was done rinsing the brush and went to dry it with a clean towel I could hear and feel the baby shampoo still in the bristles. Back to the sink to rinse 3 times over. I still don't think I was able to fully rinse the shampooo out of it.

And then trying to shape it so that it doesn't look like I bought it from Walgreens for $3.99...uhhhh...should I be worried about this brush?

Is this brush really that high maintenance?
shockt.gif

I eventually put it in its original sleeve part way so that it would bind the bristles and hung it upside down as I do with all my brushes - it's taking for ever to dry. And that sleeve will only last so long ( I suppose I could use saran wrap)

Am I the only one that's having upkeep drama with this brush???
th_dunno.gif

And don't laugh, but a very intelligent friend of mine suggested we clean our natural hair brushes with...
...you guessed it - Dog shampoos and conditioners!
shockt.gif

Allowing for a more compatible Ph balance found in most animal hair. Your thoughts anyone?

Hi
smiles.gif
I've never had a problem with the actual cleaning part of my brush and washing out all of the shampoo/soap. As for shaping, I just keep all the bristles close together while it's still wet and let it dry that way (which usually takes ALL NIGHT to dry) and it's good to go in the morning.

SoSoAmazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamEva Le Fay
greengrin.gif
Maybe I'll just reserve my 187se for powders.

Oh nooooo.....it's getting demoted to powders!
cry.gif

On noo! I meant that when I get my Full size 187, I'll use the 187se for my powder blushes/bronzers.
greengrin.gif

TamEva Le Fay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSoAmazin
On noo! I meant that when I get my Full size 187, I'll use the 187se for my powder blushes/bronzers.
greengrin.gif

I was just kidding. Hee Hee Hee!
winks.gif

I'm actually thinking about getting another #187 for blush myself or even the #188 brush for highlighters.

I just checked the condition of my drying #187 brush it seems O.K. but definitely needs something to bind when drying to maintain its shape.

I'm such a freak!
shockt.gif

Funny how this brush gets so much buzz!

Meryl

Mine shed a little and they take forever to dry, which is annoying, since that is the one brush that needs to be washed the most often.

janwa09

I have the full size 187 and it never shed even while washing it (only once a week). I also have the 188 and it never shed on me too. Maybe it's how the 187se was manufactured for the Holiday Set? I've heard that the se versions of the brushes aren't really of the same sturdy quality as the full-sized ones.

gigglegirl

I think the 187se's for the most part will be shedding more than full size. They are just made cheaper. I love the 187se I have but it does shed a bit and its annoying when trying to blend out the foundation, but my love for the brush persists and I will be making the big jump and eventually get at least one full size. I'd like one for wet foundation, one for powders. Or a kabuki to buff out highlighters.

sdpfeiffy

I've got both the 187se from the holiday set as well as a full size 187 purchased after I fell in love with the 187se. I use the full size for my SFF and wash it every night and I use the se for my setting powder only. The full size is much easier to clean which is why I use my se for just powder (and wash it only once or twice a week.) Here's how I clean both of them (usually right before I go to bed):

First spray the dry brush with Mac blush cleanser mostly just at the white tips. Then I gently swish the tips in my palm and you'll see a lot of makeup on your hand. I add some water and swish some more, then I place the brush under the running water, head down, with the water streaming only into that part and avoiding the ferrule. I swish the brush around then pull it out of the stream and gently, gently squeeze the water out, squishing the brush into a point. If the brush is really dirty, I might have to repeat some or all of the process. After it's clean, I lay it on a folded towel with the handle propped up on the edge of my sink. It's usually dry by morning. I fluff the brush in my palm (this is my favorite part lol) and it's soft and lovable again.

The se doesn't clean up quite as well and sometimes I use a dab of shampoo to get the white hairs closer to white. With the se it seems like the black hairs are still releasing color. The full size comes clean *much* easier and I really give that brush a workout--foundation and sometimes cream blush too. I love both of these so much that I'm seriously considering buying another 187 just so I can alternate days.

Hope this helps
smiles.gif

SoSoAmazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpfeiffy
The se doesn't clean up quite as well and sometimes I use a dab of shampoo to get the white hairs closer to white. With the se it seems like the black hairs are still releasing color. The full size comes clean *much* easier and I really give that brush a workout--foundation and sometimes cream blush too. I love both of these so much that I'm seriously considering buying another 187 just so I can alternate days.

Hope this helps
smiles.gif

Yeah, my 187se bleeds blue-black dye EVERY time I wash it as I can see it on the paper towel I lay it on.. But I'm glad to hear that the full size 187 is easier to clean and what not. I'm soo excited to upgrade!
greengrin.gif

sdpfeiffy

Oh it's a nice upgrade
smiles.gif
Like I said, one of my favorite parts of my morning is fluffing that 187. I'm sick, I know. And I still love my se--it's perfect for powder. I was using pressed Blot and I've switched to Cargo blu_ray. I should try it with studiofix. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.