187 Brush Owners: Do they generally have a problem w/shedding?

SoSoAmazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpfeiffy
Oh it's a nice upgrade
smiles.gif
Like I said, one of my favorite parts of my morning is fluffing that 187. I'm sick, I know.

Oh don't worry, you're not the only one! lol
winks.gif

mena22787

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamEva Le Fay
Funny...I just posted this yesterday. Forgive TamEva for reposting this here!

O.K. is it me, or is the 187 brush a bitch to clean and maintain?!?

I just finally got this brush, used it once (loved it, I get what all the hype was about!) and, of course, had to clean it. Easier said than done! Every time I thought I was done rinsing the brush and went to dry it with a clean towel I could hear and feel the baby shampoo still in the bristles. Back to the sink to rinse 3 times over. I still don't think I was able to fully rinse the shampooo out of it.

And then trying to shape it so that it doesn't look like I bought it from Walgreens for $3.99...uhhhh...should I be worried about this brush?

Is this brush really that high maintenance?
shockt.gif

I eventually put it in its original sleeve part way so that it would bind the bristles and hung it upside down as I do with all my brushes - it's taking for ever to dry. And that sleeve will only last so long ( I suppose I could use saran wrap)

Am I the only one that's having upkeep drama with this brush???
th_dunno.gif

And don't laugh, but a very intelligent friend of mine suggested we clean our natural hair brushes with...
...you guessed it - Dog shampoos and conditioners!
shockt.gif

Allowing for a more compatible Ph balance found in most animal hair. Your thoughts anyone?

Oh and yes mine sheds as well, but I believe that's the nature of the beast with new brushes. Oh what a joy it is to pick long black hairs off and out of your freshly laid makeup! Good times! Good times!

actually, the first time i washed my 187 it took foreverrrr to dry, but since then it doesn't take that long at all to dry. and OMG, yes, this brush, no matter how much i wash, is still dirty!!!
angry.gif
angry.gif
idk what to do??!

sdpfeiffy

Do you mean that it's hard to get the shampoo/cleanser all the way out? For me the only way to do it is to swirl the brush head under running water. It does take a while, depending of course on how much shampoo I've used. If it's the white tips that you mean, I've found that spraying the brush cleanser on the dry bristles really helps get some of the stuff off, then following up with the shampoo. I forgot to say when I posted earlier, that I've noticed MAC products come out of my 187 the easiest. Not sure if that's because the cleanser is formulated to work best with MAC or what. hope that helps.

COBI

I have a full-size 187 for liquids and another for powders. The one I use with powders doesn't shed at all; the one I use for liquids sheds regularly. I use the technique the MA showed me for cleaning gently each day with the brush cleaner (brush cleaner on cotton round and then clean the brush against it.)

The shedding does seem to be getting less often, but it's frustrating when you pay that much for a brush to be picking hairs off your "airbrushed" finish.

Karlita Bonita

Any natural hair brush will shed if you are using oil based products such as foundation on it. Synthetic brushes work better with foundation and will not shed. That should solve your problema! =)

CreamPuffer

I have both the full size 187 and 187se. The full size does shed when I apply liquid foundation but only a little bit and with each use it sheds less and less. As for the 187se, I haven't had a problem, haven't had any shedding at all. I'm not sure why your se is so bad, I'm sorry.

AngiTN

I have a full size 187 (bought at a MAC counter last summer) and it sheds like a b@tch every time I use it, powder or liquid. It's so bad that I actually hate to even use it. But I use it because I paid so much $$$ for the thing. I just know when I use it I have to use the tweezers to pick all the tiny black hairs off.

-KT-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamEva Le Fay
Funny...I just posted this yesterday.
And don't laugh, but a very intelligent friend of mine suggested we clean our natural hair brushes with...
...you guessed it - Dog shampoos and conditioners!
shockt.gif

Allowing for a more compatible Ph balance found in most animal hair. Your thoughts anyone?

I was organizing under my bathroom sink last night and the shampoo I use on my cats caught my eye as a brush cleaner. It's called "Nature's Salon", an herbal all natural shampoo and conditioner with vitamin E.The ingredients are : Honey, vitamin E, Panthenol(vitamin B-5, Calendula, Lavender, and Chrysanthemum. I tried it on a couple of my cheaper brushes and it cleaned them really well and made them nice and soft. It's a pretty cheap shampoo and a little goes a long way.

marielle78

My 187 is shedding like crazy. It sheds more than the cheap flirt brush that I bought from Kohls for $6. I love the effect that it has on my foundation, but I still feel like I didn't get the quality that I paid for.

Mais

I own 2 187 brushes. I had to purchase a second one since my first one sheds like crazy. Mainly, I use my 187 to apply my liquid foundation. I just LOVE how it gives that natural finish. I haven't had a problem with the second one (cross my fingers). I still use the problem 187 to apply my blushes though. I'm thinking of getting a third since I love the 187 SO MUCH!!!

tiddlescymru

Oh thank goodness other people are having this problem! I thought I was washing the brush wrong or I had a lemon brush! *phew*
Actually, come to think about it, when I had the foundation demo at the store she kept picking off bristles from my face...

I do love this brush though, it really blends the liquid foundation so it looks like you have naturally flawless skin! I
bigheart.gif
187!

jin1022000

I have 5 #187 brushes... I wash them every 6 weeks. I know they shed, that's why I use each brush for a different color.

Ex.
1 brush for cotton pink color blushes (NARS angelika, MAC sweetness etc.)
1 brush for peach color blushes (NARS gina, MJ peach)
1 brush for foundation use (I barely use the #187 for foundation, because then I gotta wash it often, and that causes shedding~)
1 brush for rosey pink blushes (NARS deepthroat, orgasm, oasis, MAC pinch o peach etc.)
1 brush for darker color blushes (NARS lovejoy, MAC prism etc.)

this way, I don't have to use the shampoo (sephora) to clean them often. right after my every use, I just wet the beauty cotton w/ MAC brush cleanser. And wipe #187 brushes gently on the cotton~

*I keep my brushes in a clean container w/ a lid. that way no dust! and I use anti-bacteria spray inside of the container every week, gotta keep the container clean!

MissChriss

I was going forever without washing my brushes with no problems and then I go and read online that I am supposed to so I did and I have been shedding every since. Soo makes me not want to wash them.

blindpassion

I have a full sized 187 and a 187se
Ive never noiced shedding with either,
What I have noticed is that on the SE brush,
when I wash it, the black hairs bleed into the white ones, making them slightly grey! But once it dries its no problem.
They are amazing brushes;.
The only brush I have that I find sheds a lot is the 109.