kdemers1221

I'm taking a class in college about the Maya and there calender is seriously confusing. At any given time there are at least 3 calenders at work. Almost all of their calculations were based on the movement of the stars and their interpretation of what it meant. Like others have said when the calender ends in 2012 another cycle of their calender begins. Think of when they were writing this calender... the Maya were prominent between AD 300 and AD 900.... the year 2012 was 1,112 years AFTER they collapsed. It makes a lot of sense that they just didn't "predict" any farther ahead than that. There culture is really interesting but we have no need to worry about the world ending. Like I said before it's a way for Hollywood to cash in on people's fears.

jess126xo

the movie looks really good. But honestly you have nothing to be worried about. 2012 is about the myans calander not ours, just because their calander ends it does not mean it will effect us. Just remember all the other dates that was spoken about, all it did was scare us, so if something was to happen it will happen because it is meant to be. so dont worry dear !

SakurasamaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
^^Actually, the North & South poles do shift magnetically every so often. But about the only thing that would happen there is compasses would be out of whack.

Yeah thats what I meant to say : it wouldn't be the end of the world like they say in the 2012 movie on youtube.. this video is bullshit all the way throught.

Half N Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrao
hey everyone

Im really scared that the world is going to end in 2012, with everything thats going on right now with the whole mayan calender, scientific predictions and so many other things about the world coming to a end. I know i probley sound crazy but i dont want us to die. we got our whole life ahead of us. I try to talk to my friends and family about it but there like "stop worrying, nothings going to happen." but hey if that day does come i want my family to be prepared. I know alot of people are probley going to say that this is like the Y2K thing and nothings going to happen, but seriously its not. the mayans dident predict Y2K, they predicted that Dec 12, 2012 will be the last day. idk about you all but thats pretty convincing that something might happen.

sorry if i sound crazy but i just want to know if you all feel the same way.
th_dunno.gif

I'm honestly not trying to be rude, but yes you do sound crazy. If you are seriously worried about the world coming to an end in 2012...STOP! You have a better chance of getting hit by a bus BEFORE 2012
smiles.gif
. Like you said, you have your whole life ahead of you, so you should probably enjoy it and stop being paranoid about a bunch of hocus pocus. When it's your time to go, it's your time to go and there's nothing you can do about it!

Ruby_Woo

Im excited for the movie, it looks like it its gonna be great. But as far as 2012 its dumb, I mean, like someone said earlier, tomorrow is never promised, maybe you're not here tomorrow anymore. 2012 should be the least of our worries.

Anyway, I think its a cycle, mother earth gets rid of any species that becomes a danger to others. We humans are the biggest threat to this planet and other species that share it with us. The best thing that could happen to earth is to get rid of the human race as a whole.

Im more worried about thieves, rapist and all of the P.O.S humans out there than some prediction about the end of the world. Im sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh but with everything else going on around us, I think this should be the least of our worries.

I use to believe in this when I was little, but that was way long ago.

roarcow

I'm pretty interested for the movie. I remember seeing those trailers in the theaters for it with this temple on a mountain that crashes down once 2012 hits, and with this monk that was inside ...............
cry.gif

For 2012 itself? You never really know what's going to happen. If it so happens everyone dies, I guess everyone dies. Can't change it. This kind of stuff used to freak me out before but I'm over it.

The whole thing about the calendar starting a new cycle just makes more sense ya know

kimmy

it's like the Y2K thing; everyone's going to get all in a tizzy three months prior and then nothing is going to happen.

and if something does happen? you can't stop it, change it or fix it, so why worry?

paperfishies

The Mayans also sacrificed children, often toddlers in the 1-2 year old range, to make their "Gods" happy. Sacrifices on these kids were often by removal of the child's heart while the child was still alive or by slitting their throats. Although I am a complete and total atheist and I rely heavily on science, any one person with logical thought can not possibly believe that these people who sacrificed living humans to appease their gods could possibly be in the know about when the world will end.

OP, I'm not at all saying you're dumb, I don't believe you are, however you like a lot of people have bought into the 2012 "we're all gonna die" hype. The media wants this, so it can be cashed in on. For years the media has survived and thrived on fear alone.

If this is SERIOUSLY something you are very fearful of and it's stopping you from living your life the way you'd like to live it and if it's consuming your thoughts, maybe talking to a professional counselor will help ease your worries. There are people who live with all kinds of fears very similar to this and it eventually turns into an anxiety disorder.

Latest posts