$50 min purchase vs. Makeup on Demand

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManda
Keep in mind I'm not at a mall location. I could see how this way wouldn't work in a lot of place.

I really believe this is the biggest issue right here. Between freelancing and my permanent employment, i've worked both counters and freestanding stores and malls vs stand alone locations. And this is true of the stand alone location. People actually stop by to purchase makeup....so the whole $50 min purchase was not really an issue there but this mall thing is just crazy. Wandering droves of teenagers going from counter to counter asking for free makeovers.

I had a bunch show up for me to do their makeup before they went to class (high school) at 10am as i am alone on the floor trying to stock. No purchase..nothing - not even a gloss.

Bernadette

As far as I know, you are not suposed to let your customers know that the $50 min purchase applies to weekends only. In fact, I am pretty sure that coutners that share that info get a good talking to. So when someone asks about getting their makeup done you kind of investigate first, see when they want to get it done and then tell them "It's a minimum purchase of $50." or "Just so you know, you have to purchase at least $50." If people say to me "So I have to spend $50?" I say "Or more." There are ways around making it sound like they only have to spend $50.

I think there should be a minimum purchase at ALL TIMES unless you are slow and are offering up demos because you can. I think having it vary by days pisses of customers and causes a ton of confusion in the long run. When someone come sin that got a demo at one location on a wednesday and there was no minimum purchase and they come to you on a saturday and you tell them they have to purchase they usually think you are lying to them. It jsut causes problems. Plus you always want to avoid saying we charge on the weekend etc. because then that pretty much just encourages them to only come when it's free.
I don't know, I think the policy really needs to change to be a minimum purchanse at all times. Maybe Mon-thurs can have a $40 min and weekends can still be $50. I just don't think it's very effective or smart.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
As far as I know, you are not suposed to let your customers know that the $50 min purchase applies to weekends only. In fact, I am pretty sure that coutners that share that info get a good talking to. So when someone asks about getting their makeup done you kind of investigate first, see when they want to get it done and then tell them "It's a minimum purchase of $50." or "Just so you know, you have to purchase at least $50." If people say to me "So I have to spend $50?" I say "Or more." There are ways around making it sound like they only have to spend $50.

I think there should be a minimum purchase at ALL TIMES unless you are slow and are offering up demos because you can. I think having it vary by days pisses of customers and causes a ton of confusion in the long run. When someone come sin that got a demo at one location on a wednesday and there was no minimum purchase and they come to you on a saturday and you tell them they have to purchase they usually think you are lying to them. It jsut causes problems. Plus you always want to avoid saying we charge on the weekend etc. because then that pretty much just encourages them to only come when it's free.
I don't know, I think the policy really needs to change to be a minimum purchanse at all times. Maybe Mon-thurs can have a $40 min and weekends can still be $50. I just don't think it's very effective or smart.

i agree, but i think that it should be a minimum of $50 everyday. having a different policy on different days does get a little confusing (you hear " i didn't pay on tuesday when i got my makeup done."). my job isn't to do free makeup. my job is to know makeup, do makeup (not just free makeup), and SELL makeup. as you can see, hours are getting cut, and people are being let go, and not charging to do makeup isn't helping at all. only charging on the weekends helps some, but not enough.

if people come up on the weekends and ask how much it is to get their makeup done, i say with a $50 purchase. if they come up during the week, i say it is complimentary during the week, and with a $50 purchase fri-sun. this is how we all say this, but we haven't been talked to about it. it may just be a regional thing. i don't think this only causes them to come in for free makeup during the week, cause most people want their makeup done for weekend events (parties, weddings, going out). we have been doing more free makeup during the week than we use to, but it is mostly teens after school and housewives/moms killing time at the mall, and then they don't buy cause they are housewives/moms and they don't really wear makeup.

with the way things are right now at mac, i hope they re-think the weekday free makeup idea and charge all the time. i don't think doing this will cut business (it didn't cut business on the weekends since we have started charging), cause people are always gonna come to buy makeup. it will just bring in more money during the week, instead of people just getting free makeup done and leaving.

heathcliff79

I'm confused, and I'd love some clarification. Some of the posters seem to suggest a $50 minimum for any demo or advice. I often ask an MA for help when I have an idea in mind, but don't know where to start, or how to adapt it for myself. I don't ever go to "just have my eyes done," but I do want advice on how to use a particular product or collection b/c I'm a relative newbie. I go to MAC b/c of the fantastic customer service experiences I've had, and being able to try it on really increases the probability that I'll buy it (e.g., an unusual purple e/s). While I *can* buy bold e/s to experiment at home, I just don't have the confidence to do that without seeing it on myself first and getting some advice.

Are you suggesting that $50 minimum apply to the customer who is just looking for the perfect nude lip, and an MA helps her with it? Or the customer is looking for a few e/s to round out her work wardrobe? I do this all the time, and have had great experiences. But I would hate to be committing a terrible faux pas, or if the MAs hate it. I always end up spending $$ b/c I always like what they suggest, but it's rarely over $50 in one shot. Honestly, I think I spend more money this way ($30 two, three times a month) than if an MA took the attitude that I should figure out now everything I might want to get that month.

gatsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathcliff79
Are you suggesting that $50 minimum apply to the customer who is just looking for the perfect nude lip, and an MA helps her with it? Or the customer is looking for a few e/s to round out her work wardrobe? I do this all the time, and have had great experiences. But I would hate to be committing a terrible faux pas, or if the MAs hate it. I always end up spending $$ b/c I always like what they suggest, but it's rarely over $50 in one shot. Honestly, I think I spend more money this way ($30 two, three times a month) than if an MA took the attitude that I should figure out now everything I might want to get that month.

I don't work for MAC, so take this for what it's worth
smiles.gif
But I think what they mean is customers who come in and want to get their makeup "done" -- i.e., plop down in the chair and sit while the MA makes them look pretty. Helping someone decide on a lipstick or eyeshadow is one thing. Actually doing someone's makeup is a different beast. I think MAC has a policy of a $50 minimum purchase where the MA is doing your makeup and working on your face. Which is more than fair IMO
smiles.gif

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby
I don't work for MAC, so take this for what it's worth
smiles.gif
But I think what they mean is customers who come in and want to get their makeup "done" -- i.e., plop down in the chair and sit while the MA makes them look pretty. Helping someone decide on a lipstick or eyeshadow is one thing. Actually doing someone's makeup is a different beast. I think MAC has a policy of a $50 minimum purchase where the MA is doing your makeup and working on your face. Which is more than fair IMO
smiles.gif

This is how I interpret it, also... as a customer and not a MAC employee.
smiles.gif

When I go the MAC f/s, I normally have 2 things: a list of wants and a list of "want to see" items. The MAs are ALWAYS more than happy to show me things. They are often the ones who suggest trying it on; I usually know by looking at the color in person if I'll use it or not so typically I decline trying items on.

But asking for help with a nude lip or a shadow combination is *very* different than wanting a free makeover with no intention to buy.

amoona

We're talking about the people who come in and want their make-up done without purchasing a damn thing. They start by asking us to try a couple eyeshadows on their eyes, then eyeliner, then the new mascara, then Studio Fix, then a blush because they want to bring back the color in their skin and then we might as well put on a new gloss. Or the customer who knows that if she's only getting her eyes done up to go to the club we can't say it's a $50 min. purchase. Or the little girls who hang out at the mall and think it's fun to play with make-up.

Listen I understand sometimes it's not easy to constantly spend $50 on make-up everytime you want to go out, it wasn't for me. That's why I went and had a whole make-over and then had the artist give me a face chart and I bought everything and took it home. I started practicing on myself and 3 years later I'm now working for MAC.

The eye demo girls should be happy we only require a $50 purchase min. because if I wasn't wearing my MAC pin I'd be charging them a lot more and they wouldn't get any make-up to take home at the end.

yummy411

as a consumer i have no probs buying the minimum for makeup application. i usually know what i want or know enough about the artist to say give me a look using whatever collection's items. now my problem comes when i already have it set in my mind that i'll be purchasing $150-$200 worth of stuff and i get bad service. the last time i went in for makeup application, i called and made the appointment, talked to a certain artist told them what i wanted (a look from a trend show) all details. i get there and i'm given half ass service! the girl did my eyes (i guess an eye demo- which when i called, i told her about my desired look on the eyes, cheeks and at least lips.) she gave me some shadow and used reflects glitter and tried to play off the fall out of the glitter as something on my cheeks. i was HIGHLY disappointed and had had enough. at that point i didn't even want her to have my sale. i had to ask.. is this the cheek combo you used for the show? can i at least have some lip gloss to go with my look?? terrible! i know that's one incident, but on most occassions i feel like when i go to make purchases i have to go to a particular mac counter, out of my way to patronize nice and helpful MA's. i'm a reasonable person, i'm not demanding and not annoyingly indecisive. it's a challenge on both ends for some consumers and some employees =(

MelodyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl216
UPDATE:
well today i went to work to hear some more sad news. they let go of another MA!!! for the same reason as before. so now we're missing 2 MA's! this really sucks.

heads up...they are doing that across the board....someone got let go in our area...not my store.....but something fishy is really going on....scary!

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette

I wish they would just figure out what they want us to say and make it consistent. It always seems to change with everything, and frankly I can't keep up with it all. As soon as I get used to doing something a certain way, they say, "Now we are doing this way."
th_dunno.gif

I don't remember as many people freaking out when it was a $40. minimum. Too bad they can't adjust our hourly AUS expectation and just charge $40 throughout the week for all full makeup applications, 30 minute slots. It's cheaper for the customer and then hopefully we wouldn't have to worry about being taken advantage of as much. If they just want to try a product, no charge...but if they try to pull a fast one and add everything else, they are politely told that the service of a full makeup application is with a $40. purchase. *big smile*

amoona

My favorites are the ones who come in for a free eye demo, knowing damn well that they're not buying jack shit and they get all picky about their make-up. Listen honey an eye demo at my counter consists of a highlight color, a crease color and a paint pot on your lid and carbon as your eyeliner. If you are looking for Seedy Pearl as your highlight, Passionate in your crease, sketch to deepen the crease, goldmind on your lid, carbon on the outter corners and some fierce winged liner you need to calm down and schedule yourself an appointment.

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
My favorites are the ones who come in for a free eye demo, knowing damn well that they're not buying jack shit and they get all picky about their make-up. Listen honey an eye demo at my counter consists of a highlight color, a crease color and a paint pot on your lid and carbon as your eyeliner. If you are looking for Seedy Pearl as your highlight, Passionate in your crease, sketch to deepen the crease, goldmind on your lid, carbon on the outter corners and some fierce winged liner you need to calm down and schedule yourself an appointment.

and let's not forget smolder in the waterline, vellum in the inner corner, matching colors under the eye, and mascara on the lashes which took 15 mins to pick out.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
and let's not forget smolder in the waterline, vellum in the inner corner, matching colors under the eye, and mascara on the lashes which took 15 mins to pick out.

All while the mirror is held 1" from the face.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
All while the mirror is held 1" from the face.

But it doesn't look the picture that I saw in the magazine! Why aren't I airbrushed? I can still see my wrinkles! Hand me a Q-Tip, I insist that I'm going to fix this myself!

I take the mirror away, tell them to stand up and look at themselves in the mirror from a distance of two or three feet away. Get some perspective on your look, love.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
yeah, its kinda nice on the weekends. people roll up thinking they're gonna get their makeup done cause they're going to the club and we have to drop everything and make them look gorgeous. then we say, "sure, we can do your makeup. just to let you know it's with a $50 purchase." then their smile fades, and they get all shitty about it. yeah, keep it up. now i really wanna do your makeup. then they say they just want their eyes done. again, "sure, we can do your eyes. just to let you know it's with a $50 purchase." they aren't having that, so they turn around and walk off all pissed, yelling about how it isn't fair that they gotta pay.

GreekChick

What we've started doing is kind of discouraging them when they ask to "get their eyes done". We all do this: " No problem, but just to let you know, it might take 15 minutes, it might take an hour. I will be walking away to help other customers."
If she's impatient, she'll go somewhere else. If not, I will sit her down, start explaining everything I'm doing, but IMMEDIATELY tell her I have to step away when someone approaches. 9 times out of 10, saying this with kindness will make them shut the ef up and not complain. We have no choice but to do this. I can't do a complete makeup in an hour without selling a single product.
Frankly, I'm all for the 50$ purchase. Do you walk into a hair salon and demand to get your hair done for free? And even then, with a set 50$ purchase, an complete makeup means 1 hour of of application wihtout interruption. This in turns means that in 1 hour, I will sell 50$. It's dreadful, especially when you're shift is 5 hours and you're goal is 956$$ and you kow that if you want to make it, you have to aim for 200$ in a single hour.

I know this amazing artist who has been with the company for years. She always always makes her sales. Her secret? During an eye demo, she'll complete the eye makeup, and when she's done, she will quickly say "So, what will you be purchasing today?! *with a killer smile* Works every time!

FacesbyNiki

Girl!! Oh my gawd! I was just talking about this the last time I freelanced. It seemed like everone made appointments for the Fafi event just to get their make up done. Or at least the majority of the folks I worked on. They loved everything but wasn't willing to buy something. And then you have those that will buy but like you said, are tired of waiting for a free artist because we are tied up with someone who just wants to get their eyes done to go to the club that night.

GreekChick

Quick question:
So what do you do when a client comes by the counter, with a MAC store gift card, or with the willingness to purchase eyeshadow pans and palettes (both of which cannot be found at your counter), but wants YOU to try all the eyeshadows on her?
I just can't believe how impolite some people can be. If you are going to purchase pan shadows, or if you do not have a counter gift card, ask an artist at a MAC Store for help, and stop ruining my sales, kthxbye.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona

OH MY GAWD!! Yes and get nasty about it too.

Latest posts