$50 min purchase vs. Makeup on Demand

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
Quick question:
So what do you do when a client comes by the counter, with a MAC store gift card, or with the willingness to purchase eyeshadow pans and palettes (both of which cannot be found at your counter), but wants YOU to try all the eyeshadows on her?
I just can't believe how impolite some people can be. If you are going to purchase pan shadows, or if you do not have a counter gift card, ask an artist at a MAC Store for help, and stop ruining my sales, kthxbye.

That kills me during Christmas time or even after Christmas when they get it as a gift. They know damn well, they can't use it at a Nordstrom counter. Stop playing with me!!!
angry.gif

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
What we've started doing is kind of discouraging them when they ask to "get their eyes done". We all do this: " No problem, but just to let you know, it might take 15 minutes, it might take an hour. I will be walking away to help other customers."
If she's impatient, she'll go somewhere else. If not, I will sit her down, start explaining everything I'm doing, but IMMEDIATELY tell her I have to step away when someone approaches. 9 times out of 10, saying this with kindness will make them shut the ef up and not complain. We have no choice but to do this. I can't do a complete makeup in an hour without selling a single product.
Frankly, I'm all for the 50$ purchase. Do you walk into a hair salon and demand to get your hair done for free? And even then, with a set 50$ purchase, an complete makeup means 1 hour of of application wihtout interruption. This in turns means that in 1 hour, I will sell 50$. It's dreadful, especially when you're shift is 5 hours and you're goal is 956$$ and you kow that if you want to make it, you have to aim for 200$ in a single hour.

I know this amazing artist who has been with the company for years. She always always makes her sales. Her secret? During an eye demo, she'll complete the eye makeup, and when she's done, she will quickly say "So, what will you be purchasing today?! *with a killer smile* Works every time!

She's good. I get the, "I don't need anything today, thanks." Or "Can you just write it down?"

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
She's good. I get the, "I don't need anything today, thanks." Or "Can you just write it down?"

No matter how it's said - our customer came with only the $11.96 in their pocket to buy the lashes ;-)

squeakers

I feel for you all, I've never worked in cosmetics but sold jewelry for many years and know what it's like when you have a sales goal to meet and are stuck forever with someone trying on engagement rings "for fun". Too bad you couldn't do just one eye when someone asks for a free demo.
winks.gif

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakers
Too bad you couldn't do just one eye when someone asks for a free demo.
winks.gif

What, you haven't read the endless posts here from people bitching that their MA only did one eye in the demo and how they flounced out of the store with all their cashmoney because they thought we were ripping them off and giving them substandard service? I can think of at least five threads like that off the top of my head.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
What, you haven't read the endless posts here from people bitching that their MA only did one eye in the demo and how they flounced out of the store with all their cashmoney because they thought we were ripping them off and giving them substandard service? I can think of at least five threads like that off the top of my head.

Danapotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla2120
But, isn't an eye demo supposed to be one eye? I mean, I usually do both just to be nice so they don't have to walk around with one eye done. But, I think it is supposed to only be one eye anyway.

Personally, I love the one eye demo. Once the MA used Naked Lunch, Expensive Pink, Patina and Espresso on one eye. I figured out that I liked the way Naked Lunch and Expensive Pink looked on me, and purchased those. Then, she handed me a wipe and I took off.

It was not necessary for her to do both of my eyes, because it was too heavy to walk around the mall with anyway!

Personally, out of the 3 times I did a $50 appointment, the MA did a look on me in 15 mins, I bought my items ($75 of stuff), and she went and helped other customers. (They are REALLY fast in Queens Center Mall)

I just think it works better like that!
th_DANCE.gif

amoona

Yea I'm super quick about my appointments too. I've learned to be with all the free eye demos I have to do haha. I try to get an appointment out in under 30 minutes because they don't want to spend an hour getting their make-up done just like I don't want to spend an hour doing it haha.

weezee

It would be nice if all of the MAC counters were consistent huh? I signed up for a makeover the first week in April at my local Nordstrom. It is a corporate event to launch the Heatherette line. The MA I made the appointment with said that all corporate events are "free" and that the $50 min purchase was in effect all other times. I've got a Heatherette fund going so I'm sure my MA will be happy with my purchases!
greengrin.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezee
It would be nice if all of the MAC counters were consistent huh? I signed up for a makeover the first week in April at my local Nordstrom. It is a corporate event to launch the Heatherette line. The MA I made the appointment with said that all corporate events are "free" and that the $50 min purchase was in effect all other times. I've got a Heatherette fund going so I'm sure my MA will be happy with my purchases!
greengrin.gif

actually, the heatherette event isn't a corporate event. it's an individual store/counter event. they pick the days that wanna do it, if they do it at all. fafi was a corporate event because every location had one and corporate pick the days, and we charged for that one. so, it may just be a regional thing to charge or not to charge. my area charges for all events now (fafi was the first) and for any makeup done fri-sun.

macaholic2912

i havnt gotten my make up done at a mac counter(yet) but when I was browsing at one of the counters a woman came over and asked what eyeshadows would suit her.The make up artist did a nice demo one one eye and explained what she was doing.After that she asked if the woman wante to buy something or have a while to think about it.The woman bought 3 eyeshadows but it was only after the purchase was agreed that the make up artist asked if the woman would like the other eye to be done.
Seemed fair enough to me!

amoona

I wish we could do that. I wish we could only do one eye but our customers are getting a demo because they learned how to get a free make-up haha. They know we can't say "no we can't do your make-up for free" thats why once we tell them the purchase min. they jump and say "yea but i just want my eyes done".

I'm going to try to use the one eye demo though whenever I can.

dreamerbabiiee*

what i usually do is go in ; get the make over ; and buy what they used on me..i like doing this when im going for a new look ; something i can wear everyday and not look like im doing too much. it usually works out fine and you know that's way more than $50.

erine1881

i just wanted to let all mac artists know this. we had a counter meeting today, and we were talking about the $50 purchase on fri-sun and during thurs-sat launch events (all of them). this is a COMPANY-WIDE policy, however, it may be different at nordstrom and pro stores. i've heard some of ya saying you didn't charge during events, you charged different amounts, no charge for walk-ups (aka makeup-on demand), etc. there was a memo that came across counters/stores at the end of august. we still have the memo on our clipboard at the register.

it states that effective in sept., all appts on fri-sun, including walk-ups, require a $50 purchase. and going forward, all launch events require the same. there was also some other info on there on how to handle this new policy with your customers. so, check it out, see if you got this memo, and if not, try to get it. just thought i'd let ya'll know.
winks.gif

scorplove

Well, the MAC artists at MY location don't play that. They charge the $50 throughout the entire week. There's also a reservation fee in case they don't show up. Believe it or not, this is a GOOD THING. Trust.

The customers at my Macys are very low end and will definitely try to get over if you let them.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorplove
Well, the MAC artists at MY location don't play that. They charge the $50 throughout the entire week. There's also a reservation fee in case they don't show up. Believe it or not, this is a GOOD THING. Trust.

The customers at my Macys are very low end and will definitely try to get over if you let them.

i wish we charged all week! oh i know its a good thing. we have custies that always try and get away with free makeup, and we talked about ways of handling those people. we don't have alot of em, but there are some. its just in the way we need to word the policy. and if there are repeat offenders, we are gonna require them to buy a gift card before the appt., then use it to buy their $50 worth. and ya know what, if they try and get around it by returning the stuff on a different day, they get store credit with a gift card!

scorplove

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
i wish we charged all week! oh i know its a good thing. we have custies that always try and get away with free makeup, and we talked about ways of handling those people. we don't have alot of em, but there are some. its just in the way we need to word the policy. and if there are repeat offenders, we are gonna require them to buy a gift card before the appt., then use it to buy their $50 worth. and ya know what, if they try and get around it by returning the stuff on a different day, they get store credit with a gift card!

Because our store has a bunch of "cheapies" the artists decided that this was what THEY were going to do to make their goals.

Trust me, the customers at our store are CHEAP! You really can't push them to get more than what they need or they'll return it, bringing down your counter and commission.

So what if they complain and say that "other" counters don't charge? Let them go to THOSE stores. It's called weeding out the time wasters.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla2120
But, isn't an eye demo supposed to be one eye? I mean, I usually do both just to be nice so they don't have to walk around with one eye done. But, I think it is supposed to only be one eye anyway.

That's what I thought too. If it's super busy, I let them know, I am only doing one eye.

boudoirblonde

*I haven't read the whole thread yet - sorry*

But I just wanted to say, I have absolutely no problem in the world with the minimum purchase policy. THE MAKEOVER IS STILL FREE! Its not like you spend $50 and walk out with a full of makeup. You pay $50, walk out with gorgeous makeup AND $50 worth of product! People wanting one without a purchase ARE INSANE!

Im in Australia. Our minimum purchase is $95. I still don't have a problem (although, it sort sucks when your total comes to $92-$94, and they make you buy something else to get over the $95!)

Oh, and does anyone know if in Australia its $95 fri-sun or all week? I was under the impression its all week but I dont know

Latest posts