African Black Soap

ashk36

Has anyone tried it? I just ordered some off Coastal Scents. I'll give an update when I try it and see how it works for me! It's supposedly really good for breakouts, so I'll be a good guinea pig for that! Especially since my evil bitchface Aunt Flo will probably be in town by the time my order arrivies...
angry.gif

gingin501

I love it!!! I buy my DuDu-Osum (black soap) off ebay and I love it! I wash my face with it every morning. Also, I bought the liquid form to wash my hair with once a week! Very Good stuff!

HerShe

Black Soap is the truth I use Ultra Glow and Du Du's Black soap. It has evened out my skin and i have had virtually no breakouts since using it but make sure yours is authentic. I know DuDu is authentic and Ultra Glow isnt 100% but my skin still loves it.

ashk36

Thanks ladies! I also ordered some unrefined shea butter, I was reading some really great reviews on it, especially when used with black soap. I have a tendency to scar after pretty much any little pimple I get, so I'm hoping this stuff works as well for me as it has for you and others. I'm not expecting any miracles, but I wouldn't mind it!!

reesesilverstar

Oh wow... All these mama's fave's!

Black soap is some real good stuff. You could use it everywhere too, hair face body, and it clears up your skin beautifully. I mix it with my store bought stuff just to get a nicer scent.

makeba

black soap is the biz for real. i get mine from the market place where i live but i have ordered it from Nasaab.com and its great stuff. unrefined shea butter is very healthy for the skin too. you only need a little bit though. it will melt into the skin perfectly. when i use my black soap i use warm water becuz if its too warm/hot it will irritate my skin. after you use it rinse your skin with cool or cold water so the pores will close.

ashk36

I live in South Carolina and when I was in Charleston last year there was a lady selling unrefined shea butter at the market. I really wish I would have known more about it then before I passed it up so quickly! I can't wait to get my order...I love ordering stuff off the internet cause it's like Christmas when it finally arrives!

chocolategoddes

I don't know how authentic Coastal Scent's "African" soap is, but my mother and I have black soap shipped to us straight from West Africa and it really is amazing. I use the papaya scented one!
smiles.gif

And if you are interested in shea butter, my mom makes home-made shea butter body butter, shipped straight from Africa as well. If you guys are truly interested, you can send me a PM and I'll tell my mom. It's nothing sketchy... she's been doing it for about 5 years.

ashk36

I was wondering about the authenticity as well, but my order arrived today. It's a big ol chunk and not pretty to look at. It's quite soft and easy to break apart. It doesn't leave a stain, and it doesn't have a strong smell of anything really. And it lathers amazingly well. The CS website says it's made in Ghana, and I read somewhere that Ghana is one of the countries where authentic black soap is made. So we shall see how this works out. Hopefully I'll see some good results! Just waiting on the unrefined shea butter to get here..

And the soap looks just like to does on the CS website. I do think it's the real stuff.

Black_Soap_800%20pix.jpg

Totally off topic, but I ordered a gel liner, too, and it's niiiiice.
thmbup.gif

ETA: Added pic...and it's huge!! Sorry bout that!!

naijapretty

African black soap is nice, but I found the original dudu osun to be harsh for me. Also try Amina Salata, its ghanian or lotion willy from Nigeria. Lotion willy is what Proactiv wants to be with less harshness.

reesesilverstar

It looks and sounds like the real stuff... It is supposed to be soft and easy to crumble/form into a shape. And it melts and lathers very easy. I don't suggest you store it near water at all.

ashk36

I'm not. I've got a little ball of it in a soap dish in my cabinet, so I keep it dry and away from water. My face definitely is squeaky clean! Now I want my shea butter dammit!

elongreach

Ok, you all have convinced me to try this product based on your reviews. It's not too expensive on ebay and I have mild breakouts and some acne marks that I would love to get evened out.

My question is which should I get? I found Dudu Osun on ebay and I also found some "Black Soap from Ghana". Also, what is your morning routine using this? Do you use the black soap and then the shea butter? Do you use toner or moisturizer? And do you do your regular skin care process at night?

wonderdust

I love Black soap. I use it on my face and its the best facial wash/cleanser ever. I'm not overly keen on the smell but it works so I shouldn't complain. Shea butter is one of my all time faves too!

Blushbaby

My soap looks similar to the one pictured. My friend bought back a huuuuuuuuuuuge block of it along with shea butter fresh from Ghana for me.

I only use the soap at night and then put shea all over my face. The soap's quite drying so I need the mositure of the shea butter afterwards if I use it on my face. I find it too greasy and heavy for daytime use so it's better suited for use before bed ..for me anyway.

I can use the soap on my body whenever though.

ashk36

I just received my shea butter today. How do you all store yours? It came double bagged, I figured maybe I'll use the ziplock bags as well as tupperware? I don't want it to spoil!

kariii

I just ordered both shea butter and black soap from CS, can't wait for when it arrives so I can give my review!

reesesilverstar

Ok, I use my black soap to bathe, wash my face, hair etc... Shea butter, I mix a little bit with my usual moisturizer - just to thin it out a bit, for daytime use. At night I put it on with a little EVOO, jojoba and aloe vera mixture I made. My mom uses it straight day and night - she can stand the scent apparently, but her skin is LOVELY.

Anyhow - storage:

Soap: I put mines in ziploc bags then in huge tupper wear bowls with them silica gel packs inside the bowl to keep moisture away. You can buy silica gel packs at storage places.

Butter: Again, huge tupper wear bowls. No silica just put the cover on and leave it.

Both I store in a closet that's cool and dry and take out what I need when I need it.

HTH!

ashk36

You know, I honestly do not mind the smell of the shea butter. My favorite hobby is baking, and when I received my shea butter it looked like something I'd use in the kitchen. Kinda looked like white chocolate. I think I tricked my brain into smelling something different because to me it smells like something I'd use in my baking. Then again, I only used a teeny tiny bit. I really do feel like my skin looks brighter already after just one night's use. Doubt I'll be using it in the daytime though, it does make me feel quite greasy. And with the humid summers we have here I do not need any added greasiness to my face in the daytime!!

Oh and it is a great lip balm! This morning my lips were so soft, I can't remember them ever feeling this nice!

reesesilverstar

Oh yea? It's a bit too strong for me...

I agree about the lips tho, I put it on with vaseline. Really makes the lips soooft and smooth.

Latest posts