after the baby is born....?

Shimmer

Absolutely, and anyone giving birth in a military hospital:
Know the name of the commander and DO NOT be afraid to use it, nor to meet with him or her prior to birthing the baby.
Not the section's CO, but the hospital commander. Usually it's a full bird, and while it's not necessary to relay your fears to him, it's good to know him and have a name with the face.
Additionally, know who the OIC of the departments are. All doctors are Majors (usually...I'll say that and someone will contradict me...) and nurses are generally lts and cpts. Be as nice as possible but as nasty as necessary and don't hesitate to call in the section OIC if necessary.

Shimmer

Girl.
I have curvature of my spine. Not a lot but enough to make my anatomy a little "off".
We discovered this when the anesthesiologist had problems with my spinal block in my second section, so prior to my third I told the CRNA performing it that I DID NOT WANT to endure that kind of pain again (imagine a needle touching a raw nerve...then imagine that nerve being the main receptor for both your legs, and your tail bone...sweet God I'm welling up with tears just remembering it...) so if at any point she had problems with my anesthesia, please...STOP...the section OIC had said he (as he was a friend of mine) would GLADLY do it for me.
She reassured me saying "I've been doing this for over 20 years girl, I have it figured out..."

Right.

So, we go and do and all that, and the next morning we arrive bright and shining early in the a.m. for my section.

She starts my anesthesia and CAN'T HIT THE FREAKING SPOT. She tries for forty five minutes while I'm literally screaming in agony, my mom is outside the window being held back by my nearly hysterical (now ex) husband, and I'm in so much pain and distress I start lactating and my tears have pooled within my glasses to make puddles in the lenses. My friend is the nurse holding me on the table, he's so angry he's shaking, and my OB (also a friend) had to leave the room because he wanted to slap the woman.
Finally, she throws her stuff down and says "I can't do this. I'm doing an epidural."
"YOU SHOULD HAVE FUCKING DONE THIS FORTY MINUTES A FUCKIN GO YOU FUCKING IGNORANT CIVILIAN FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT."
She gets her epi tray, comes back gives me the epidural ALSO IN THE WRONG SPOT and I go limp IMMEDIATELY, the ONLY thing that precluded me from falling off the table was my nurse friend catching me. They get me set, and start the draping. As they're draping the epidural REALLY starts kicking in and I can't breath. I can't turn my head, I can't swallow. I can't do annnything but BLINK.
I'd worked with one of the nursing students in the room before and she looked at me as I was turning effing BLUE and says "JAMIE. Oh my God y'all she can't breath."
They put a bag on me and administered something to my IV...
That's the last thing I remember until they pulled him out and I said "Cool" and passed out again for another three or four hours.

That dumb bitch owes me, and I will collect someday.

*Stargazer*

OMG, Shimmer, what a nightmare. AD at the time? Don't you wish that rule about AD not being able to sue the system didn't exist? Sadly enough, as horrifying as your experience was, I've heard something similar from two other people. I had a miserable experience, but it doesn't sound as bad as yours, for sure. I am sincerely sorry that you had to experience that.

All of the problems I had to deal with stemmed from three things I KNOW about myself that they REFUSED to accept when I told them (sounds like the root of your problem as well, huh?). I have a spinal curvature issue, plus narrow disk space, that sounds similar to yours. I also have a tilted uterus and issues with my veins. But apparently, since I don't have an MD, the doctors, nurses and corpsmen can't take my word for it.

I have serious, serious (probably should see a psychiatrist) issues with being touched by men medically. I freak out and freeze. Combine that with my tilted uterus and its a disaster in the making. So when I had to be seen and internally examined at the NH (because at 39 weeks my daughter flipped and was suddenly breech), I told them, "please get a female OB or midwife or Nurse Practitioner because this experience will not end well for you or me if we proceed with a male doctor attempting this." Think they'd accept that? Nope, I got "oh no, Dr Mike knows what he's doing, no problem, just relax." And then they wonder why they had to physically restrain me to stop me from punching the OB while he was basically assaulting me.

I didn't find out until I had my second daughter that with my spinal issues I never should have been given anything but an epidural and the the spinal I was given is probably the direct cause of the twice-a-week-physical-therapy back pain I have. When I told my second anesthesiologist that I'd had a spinal with my first she was horrified. Partly because she was concerned someone on HER staff (at the private hospital) had done it and I could have sued them! All to save a few bucks because a spinal was cheaper.

I have weird veins. I cannot give blood for donations or testing from my arms. Same for IV placement. The veins in my hands have to be used for both situations. I learned this years and years ago. But no one ever wants to believe me about it. So when they wanted to start an IV after I had my first daughter, they sent in some corpsman who was still in training. Who insisted he could use my inner elbow area despite my protests (I wasn't strong enough at that point to be more forceful) he spent 30 minutes jabbing my with numerous needles attempting to get a line in. Finally my Dad came back into the room from visiting the baby in the nursery, took one look at me and threw the guy out. At that point, the bed looked like someone had been murdered in it there was so much incidental blood from his jabbing all over the place.

Plus the bitch OB, who I hadn't met till she tried to perform THREE EVs on me (never let anyone do an EV on you, its the most painful thing I've ever felt) wouldn't let me wear my contacts in the OR. Ok, no biggie except that they took my glasses from me as well. I am blind as a bat and didn't even get to see my daughter when she was born. Then because I was Group B positive, they took my daughter for "6 hours of observation in the nursery." They finally brought her to me TEN hours later. I didn't get to see or hold her for ten hours. I didn't find out till I had my second that there was NO need to observe her for 6 hours because I was Group B positive because she was not delivered vaginally. I hate those people so much I want to cry thinking about how much they ruined my first daughter's birth for me.

Sadly enough, I count myself lucky that it wasn't worse. Have you seen the stories about the Jacksonville FL, NH? I've read the most disturbing stuff ever about their practices.

I can see why you and I are both so vehement about patient rights LOL

Shimmer

Oh no, I was civilian, but only 2 months out of service, so I had lots of the same mindset still.

Shimmer

I haven't, but I was Army not Navy.

Quite frankly, I don't believe civilians should be allowed to treat patients in a military hospital. Their level of accountability is NOT the same as it would be in a civilian hospital, and you're right, they DON'T listen without you jumping up and down throwing a screaming fit.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Oh no, I was civilian, but only 2 months out of service, so I had lots of the same mindset still.

Ahh, so theoretically, you could sue them. Or could have, I don't know the SOL of those things.

I've found that the blanket assumption in military medicine is that every patient is a half-wit. I've also observed the same thing about civilians practicing in military hospitals that you have. I think the military health system deserves every single bit of the crappy reputation it has. For us, it has become a pleasant surprise when we actually find a functional person in the system.

I've read, in the Marine Corps Times, a lot of stuff about serious, serious negligent mistakes at Jacksonville. The kind of stuff that would NEVER fly at a private hospital because of the liability issues. http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...20814239.shtml

The disturbing part about that article is that since the dateline on it, I've seen several other cases come out of that hospital that demonstrates that they are still making the same mistakes.

*Stargazer*

Ok, I just read back over this topic and I seriously need to apologize. This is one of my hot button issues and I have the worst verbal diarrhea when I get going. I need to shut up now LOL

pumpkincat210

epidurals.. did you all get them? I had them 3 times and they were the best. I could actually sleep up until the birth, which helped immensely and also i could enjoy the actual "birth" part more. The best epidural was at a women's hospital, it was almost painless. I'm a real fan of women's hospitals. they are much more sympathetic and realistic. They make you very comfortable.

IslandGirl77

I gave birth to my first child at a very young age. My first pregnancy was hard. Giving birth was stressful for me. I was in labor 22 hours and had toxemia. They were scared I would have seizures because I had such high blood pressure. I had my first vaginally with a epidural. I snapped back into shape pretty quickly at the first child.

Eight years later I had my second. My pregnancy went fairly well, I didn't gain much weight. I ate really healthy and worked so I walked around alot and stayed really active. My son was a week overdue and again had a hard labor. After 15 hours of labor they decided to give me a c-section because my son wasn't budging. Seven of those hours of labor I had no pain meds. I got a epidural, which ended up not worknig. So I pretty much felt everything. I went for a c-section and they gave me the spinal because the epidural didnt' work. My was 9lbs 10oz which is why I coudln't have him vaginally, I'm only 4'11! lol The dr.'s where like how did he fit inside of you? LOL After my son, I snapped back into pregnancy weight, and I also breastfed. I had very light stretch marks because he was so huge and I was overdue. My boobs stayed a little larger than prepregnancy, but that was about it.

Now, my third. Whew, I did eat as healthy. I didn't do to bad though. I think I gained about 35 lbs. This time I gave birth in a military hospital. I also had my tubes tied after I gave birth. This labor again was hard and long. 14 hours, 7 no drugs. Almost couldn't get any drugs because the person who did the epidurals was in surgery. I was not happy about that. It didn't matter though, because he put it in and I still felt everything again!!! Sucked! I was miserable. I almost had to have another c-section. They kept giving me poticin which sucked. They ened up using forceps which sucked and felt like crap. On top of that, they let like 5 interns in my room to watch the birth. I was mad, but wanted the baby out sooo I was like whatever!!! After I gave birth, they gave me a room and then took me to get my tubes tied. Now they tried to talk me out of it but I was like NO tie them. They let some person who wasn't a dr peform my surgery. While another dr oversaw it. Needless to say, my tubes were tied a year and then failed! Yeah, so I will never trust military doctors again. My last child, I breastfed and got most of the weight off. I need to lose maybe 15 lbs for me to be back the way I was before.

Sorry so long.

IslandGirl77

I forgot to also add that while I was giving birth at the military hospital when I got there they had no rooms!!! I was literally waiting in a room on the table where they give you pap exams! And one lady gave birth in the exam room! It was crazy, I was so uncomfortable and in pain it wasn't even funny. And having a epidural not work is not cool. I had a lot of pain in my back and not to sound real graphic, but a stabbing shooting pain in the vaginal areas! I wanted to punch somebody. LOL

IslandGirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
In those last few days of my pregnancies, I'm pretty much living on slurpees and milkshakes, so I bet that's why I haven't had any issues. I can't even abide the thought of solid food at that point LOL. I do remember the bastards at the Naval Hospital telling me I couldn't eat after my section until I passed gas. They brought me nothing but broth made with powder for THREE days. I had my family sneak food in after the first 24 hours. I couldn't take it anymore. I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about that experience LOL

Man they told me that after I had my tubes tied! I was sooo hungry!

IslandGirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Girl.
I have curvature of my spine. Not a lot but enough to make my anatomy a little "off".
We discovered this when the anesthesiologist had problems with my spinal block in my second section, so prior to my third I told the CRNA performing it that I DID NOT WANT to endure that kind of pain again (imagine a needle touching a raw nerve...then imagine that nerve being the main receptor for both your legs, and your tail bone...sweet God I'm welling up with tears just remembering it...) so if at any point she had problems with my anesthesia, please...STOP...the section OIC had said he (as he was a friend of mine) would GLADLY do it for me.
She reassured me saying "I've been doing this for over 20 years girl, I have it figured out..."

Right.

So, we go and do and all that, and the next morning we arrive bright and shining early in the a.m. for my section.

She starts my anesthesia and CAN'T HIT THE FREAKING SPOT. She tries for forty five minutes while I'm literally screaming in agony, my mom is outside the window being held back by my nearly hysterical (now ex) husband, and I'm in so much pain and distress I start lactating and my tears have pooled within my glasses to make puddles in the lenses. My friend is the nurse holding me on the table, he's so angry he's shaking, and my OB (also a friend) had to leave the room because he wanted to slap the woman.
Finally, she throws her stuff down and says "I can't do this. I'm doing an epidural."
"YOU SHOULD HAVE FUCKING DONE THIS FORTY MINUTES A FUCKIN GO YOU FUCKING IGNORANT CIVILIAN FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT."
She gets her epi tray, comes back gives me the epidural ALSO IN THE WRONG SPOT and I go limp IMMEDIATELY, the ONLY thing that precluded me from falling off the table was my nurse friend catching me. They get me set, and start the draping. As they're draping the epidural REALLY starts kicking in and I can't breath. I can't turn my head, I can't swallow. I can't do annnything but BLINK.
I'd worked with one of the nursing students in the room before and she looked at me as I was turning effing BLUE and says "JAMIE. Oh my God y'all she can't breath."
They put a bag on me and administered something to my IV...
That's the last thing I remember until they pulled him out and I said "Cool" and passed out again for another three or four hours.

That dumb bitch owes me, and I will collect someday.

This happened to me at a regular hospital, I thought I was going to die. I couldn't breathe and my arms were strapped down and I started freaking out. They kept telling me to relax, how do you relax when you can't breathe? After the c-section was done my blood pressure and oxygen levels were extremely low and I had to be on oxygen for a couple of days. They said they gave me to much of the spinal.

XsMom21

Well, I had to be induced with my son. When I went into the er two weeks prior, they told me I was leaking urine and it ended up being amniotic fluid.

It wasn't until I hadn't felt him kick for a few hours that I knew something was wrong, so I called my husband and we (along with momma) packed up and went to the hospital. I didn't even eat my french fries that I'd been craving like horrible.

Get to the hospital. and the doctor tells me I'm having my baby three weeks early. My uterus is completely devoid of amniotic fluid. I ask if there is any way I can grab a Hardee's burger lol

They start a fluid supplement, to cusion the baby and I'm induced with an ulcer medicine on my cervix and then the next day they start the pitocin. I was alright until I had the epidural.

WARNING TO ALL OF YOU: Pitocin mixed with an epidural does screwy shit to your bloodpressure. I was sleeping peacefully when suddenly about ten nurses rush into the room. My bloodpressure had dropped really really bad, and Xander's heart rate monitor had fallen off the charts.

They had me lay on my side and his heatbeat registered. I had to alternate sides for about 6 hours until it was time to push. This was when we realized that the cord was wrapped partially around his neck. They called a surgical team. I was small, and it was hell, but when my doctor said "One more push and then we have to go to the OR" my son came out with the help of foreceps.

He was healthy, he was ok. I didn't find out until a few hours later, after an episiotomy of about 45 stitches and a BOMB ASS hospital dinner (lol) that they almost lost us both, or at least they were fearful of it.

I was blessed with a GREAT nurse, Nurse Robinson. I will never forget her. When she came on shift at around 8am, she told me I'd have my son at 5:30pm. He was born at 5:35pm. She called it! lol

Poor thing, when I was getting my epi, I had a SERIOUS contraction and I held onto her shoulder. I know I bruised her. I sent her flowers from my son and me a few days after we were released.

About six months later, we all noticed that I was tired all the time, and my skin was dry, my hair breaking off everytime I took a bath. One of the girls I was working with at the time told me that my weight gain and all of the other symptoms pointed to thyriod disease. I went and got teasted and my thyroid had pretty much stopped working.

I gained 50 lbs in three months. OMG I was/am horrified by the way I look. It took them 2 years to get my meds right and I'm just NOW getting back to normal. I finally have some energy.

When I hurt my back a year ago, they told me it was mainly because my body can't support the weight that I gained from the thyroid condition. I mean, come on! Then, I was diagnosed with postpartum depression and anxiety.

Giving birth was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced, and now my son is 2 1/2 and he's my best buddy. I, however, am still recovering and am still not allowed (by the dr.) to have another one, until I've recovered from this one lol.

My only advice is to watch your weight after you have your baby. If you have hypothyroid and it goes untreated for too long, the repercussions can effect the rest of your life. I have to have blood tests and take pills for the REST of my life.... it SUCKS.

mzcelaneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsMom21
If you have hypothyroid and it goes untreated for too long, the repercussions can effect the rest of your life. I have to have blood tests and take pills for the REST of my life.... it SUCKS.

OMG, we're in the same boat
th_hug.gif

Anywhoo...

I gave birth at 19 and snapped back into shape *likethat*, if not better shape (size 6 pre-pregnancy; size 4 post-pregnancy). Breastfeeding does wonders for mother AND child
greengrin.gif
Another pro is that my boobs went from a size C to a D. No noticeable sagginess either. Score!

Cons: my feet did grow a whole size; my nose got rounder during pregnancy but went back to normal after a few months; still have the goddang stretch marks.

Few years later, I start to gain weight and am unable to lose ANY of it. Come to find out, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Not sure if it's pregnancy related/induced though.

XsMom21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcelaneous
OMG, we're in the same boat
th_hug.gif

Few years later, I start to gain weight and am unable to lose ANY of it. Come to find out, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Not sure if it's pregnancy related/induced though.

Are you on Synthroid? How did you respond? It took them TWO YEARS to get me right, and I'm still at 200 lbs. (120 pre pregnancy, 160 at 9months pregnant, 135 two months after I had Xander). They've had me on .075 for about three weeks now, and I finally have the energy to pick up my house!!!!! Grrrrrr! I told them to up my meds, and she was like "You're in the normal range blah blah blah." What they don't tell you is that the "normal" range spans about 4 digits, and they base it on one hundreths of a point. Like 3.02 or .35. So stupid.

Oh, and for the stretch marks, I've found that concentrated Vitamin E Oil does wonders. I didn't get any when I was pregnant, but when I started the steroid shots for my back they came in almost overnight... cover my entire stomach and both upper arms. I've been using the oil for about two months and the marks went from dark purple to a light pink in that time. Hopefully they'll fade even more! It's called Nutra E and they sell it on Drugstore.com.

mzcelaneous

Quote:
Are you on Synthroid? How did you respond? It took them TWO YEARS to get me right, and I'm still at 200 lbs. (120 pre pregnancy, 160 at 9months pregnant, 135 two months after I had Xander). They've had me on .075 for about three weeks now, and I finally have the energy to pick up my house!!!!! Grrrrrr! I told them to up my meds, and she was like "You're in the normal range blah blah blah." What they don't tell you is that the "normal" range spans about 4 digits, and they base it on one hundreths of a point. Like 3.02 or .35. So stupid.

Yes I am, but I've only been on it for about....9 or so months. I was just recently diagnosed. So far it's okay. I'm still tired (not as often though) and I've only lost 5 lbs
ssad.gif

Ms. Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
I think it depends on your doctor as well. My first section was a miserable, craptastic job done by a military doctor. It was crooked and left me with a pooch. The OB I had with my second daughter was shocked when she saw it and promised to rectify it when she delivered my second daughter. She did, straightening it out and tightening my skin and muscles when she sewed me up. I am eternally grateful to her for pointing out that it didn't have to be the way it was. Now I know to bring it up with my OBs in the future. .

Wow, that's great she did that for you.
clap.gif

Ms. Z

Quote:
Giving birth was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced, and now my son is 2 1/2 and he's my best buddy. I, however, am still recovering and am still not allowed (by the dr.) to have another one, until I've recovered from this one lol.

My only advice is to watch your weight after you have your baby. If you have hypothyroid and it goes untreated for too long, the repercussions can effect the rest of your life. I have to have blood tests and take pills for the REST of my life.... it SUCKS.

Wow, you have been through so much.

I know a few woman who seemed to develop thyroid problems a short time after giving birth. I have a throid problem too (goiter, which is rare these days), but I was diagnosed more than 10 years after having my child. I had a thyroidectomy last summer.

I have to admit that after researching my problem, I had no desire to have any more children.

jenii

Unfortunately for me, my breasts went from DD to F... Yeah, as if they weren't uncomfortable enough as it was, now they're even WORSE. I hate how much they hurt my back. Ugh...

Latest posts