Am I asking too much?

TwiggyPop

The next time I head to MAC I planned on buying about $150 worth of stuff, but wanted a few samples as well. Would asking for a sample of foundation and 2 of the piggies be too much?
I don't want them to think I'm just trying to get a bunch of free stuff. I do plan on buying a foundation if it works out in photoshoots, I just don't want to spend the money on something I'll never use.

TIA!

spectrolite

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't see why it should be a problem. You are a customer willing to spend your hard earned dollars on MAC products. The least they can do is give you a few samples. Besides, you might end up buying a full sized item if you like it. And by giving you a sample to try first there is less chance of you having to return something that didn't suit you
smiles.gif

Xqueeze_me

I agree with Spectrolite. You're gonna buying over $150 worth of stuff. I don't think 3 samples would be asking too much! I have asked for samples even if I didn't buy anything at all. They either say no or give it to you. The MAC MAs have been really nice and gave me samples whether I buy or not. So spending more than $150 is not asking for too much at all! Don't be shy to ask!!
smiles.gif

k.a.t

Last time i went to MAC i only bought an eyeshadow and the guy who helped me was more than happy to give me 2 foundation samples so i say that's reasonable. (Yes i only got 1 single eyeshadow lol)

LMD84

yeah when you spend that kinda money at least they know that you're not just coming for freebies - you're a good customer who they want to please! plus with foundations i always like samples of a few colours and stuff. i think they expect it with foundations.

twilightessence

I only spent $50 (with the F&F discount and a free B2M lipstick) three weeks ago and my MA gave me (without asking LOL) four samples LOL. VAE, Green Gel Cleanser, Moisturizer (don't know which one) and a orangey lipgloss. I wanted to ask her for samples of Chocolate Brown or Tan pigment sample but felt like I got enough as it was LOL.

TwiggyPop

thank you ladies! I'm just starting to buy MAC and the MAs aren't familiar with me so I just didn't want them to get the wrong impression of me right off the bat. I'm sure that after a few more months they'll start to realize that I'm quickly becoming a regular customer.

melliquor

It should be fine... my ma gives me samples no matter what I spend. It never hurts to ask for one.

Chrystia

I personally love giving people samples. I love to try new things myself, so I love giving people the opportunity to try new stuff. I don't love people who come in for samples and keep asking for more and more. Then never buy anything in the future, but just come back for more samples. And the only reason this bothers me is because these people often demand up to 20 minutes of my time with random questions for samples, and there will be other clients patiently waiting with honest questions on products.

The foundation sample should be just fine. I always give out a foundation samples to first timers. I also will put foundation on people and tell them to walk around a for a bit and come back and see how it feels. The pigments mght be trickier. My counter doesn't like to give out those typically because as most of us know, a little lasts forever. But you can ask, just know that is why we generally avoid pigment samples. However if you are interested in a skincare item, let them know. We love giving out skin care samples.

Brittni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystia
I personally love giving people samples. I love to try new things myself, so I love giving people the opportunity to try new stuff. I don't love people who come in for samples and keep asking for more and more. Then never buy anything in the future, but just come back for more samples. And the only reason this bothers me is because these people often demand up to 20 minutes of my time with random questions for samples, and there will be other clients patiently waiting with honest questions on products.

The foundation sample should be just fine. I always give out a foundation samples to first timers. I also will put foundation on people and tell them to walk around a for a bit and come back and see how it feels. The pigments mght be trickier. My counter doesn't like to give out those typically because as most of us know, a little lasts forever. But you can ask, just know that is why we generally avoid pigment samples. However if you are interested in a skincare item, let them know. We love giving out skin care samples.

Nice to see you are willing to give out skincase samples. My counter NEVER has jars for samples, even for face stuff, it makes me SO mad. I've been stopping in for the past SIX months w/no luck!

MAC_mallory

I've only been able to ask for a sample once. Even though I'm at MAC just about every day, and spend tons of money there, I feel weird about asking for samples. I'm not sure why!

jrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_mallory
I've only been able to ask for a sample once. Even though I'm at MAC just about every day, and spend tons of money there, I feel weird about asking for samples. I'm not sure why!

OMG I so know what you mean...

I was at my local MAC counter talking to my regular MAC MUA, and whilst I spent a few hundred dollars AUD on more products for my ever-growing collection, I still didn't feel comfortable asking for a few samples of the solar bits from the neo sci-fi collection
ssad.gif

Paramnesia

I always ask for skincare/foundation samples. I personally wouldn't buy either without trying them out first. In my opinion it should be fine to get them but i find most of the time MA's just assume that i'm just taking advantage of the sample system and say they don't do samples, despite i know these counters do. I've had no prob with the pro store though, I go monday morning/noon-ish and its generally pretty quite.

MAC_Enthusiast

Just ask. I was at a Nordstrom's this weekend and got a sample of one of the new Nordstrom exclusive pigments that won't be sold until July 18 - rose something.

stacylynne

When I goto MAC & buy. They are always offering me samples & I don't even ask. But then again, They know me very well.
Get to know some of the ma's @ your counter.

fidelistoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylynne
When I goto MAC & buy. They are always offering me samples & I don't even ask. But then again, They know me very well.
Get to know some of the ma's @ your counter.

that's reallly nice! the MAs at the mac store nearest
to me always seem very unfriendly so i never dare to ask! :x

liv

I've had no problem getting samples before (foundation), and one girl tried to get me to take a Vanilla pigment sample, but I just don't *do* loose eyeshadow, so I declined. Now I am thinking I will take up her offer though, pictures of pigments are so pretty. =]

By the way, I did purchase something when I asked, but it was "only" about $50 or so. I wouldn't have the balls to ask for a sample if I didn't make a purchase, but that's just me.

Latest posts