Am I the only geek who loves giving her brushes a bath?

Sanne

I don't really like cleaning themwith water and shampoo, but I love it when they are all feresh and clean...
the rest of the week I use my brush cleanser an a tissue to wipe the brushes clean

Sushi_Flower

Come on then you brush washing lovers! What's your routine and technique for cleaning them?

Also does 'spot cleaning' with a wipe or brush cleanser on tissue, like Sanne said, and then leaving it like that and not rinsing it with water affect the brush in any way? As in the ingredients/chemicals left on the brush? And also the fact that it will be used on the makeup in that state?
I did a spot clean of my brush with a babywipe for the first time the other day as Jude gave me the idea of doing it, but then i got worried that it might not be good for thr bristles if the traces of the wipe are left on the brush to dry?

lara

I have to clean mine upwards of four times a day, plus a good scrub at night!
lol.gif

fishchick72

Into a 30 cc med cup I put eye make up remover & rubbing alcohol & then I stand the brushes up with the tips soaking while I do my hair. (I do my face first, then my hair) Then when I'm done with my hair I take them out & wipe them on a washcloth & then lay them out on the counter on a piece of tp to air dry. It's so easy it's not much of a chore, but I don't get extremely excited about it, either.
smiles.gif

michy_mimi

I wash mine every few days in johnson and johnson's bedtime bath diluted in water. They always smell so pretty and look so clean! But I don't particularly like doing it. I am just wierd about germs..lol

Kristen

Haha.. I LOOOOVE washing my makeup brushes. I love how they become clean and fluffy. Every Sunday when I go back to rez, I do a load of laundry and troop off to the bathroom to wash my brushes. I clean my cup of brushes and roll them into a towel to take back to my room. I think everyone on my floor thinks I'm insane.

JGunnar

Yeah. I like doing it to haha. I love how the water turns purpleish black and I love how theyre so soft and how their original bristle colors is restored afterward.

bellaetoile

god. does someone who LIKES washing brushes want to get hired by me to wash mine? i use the quick cleaner-on-a-paper-towerl method often, but i don't deep clean them anywhere near enough. i hate it. i find it so time consuming, and tedious. i should find someone to do it for me, hah.

aznsmurfy

I usually love washing my brushes but I did the biggest brush washing no-no. I soaked them in a concentrated mix of shampoo and water. I kept washing and washing and the soap just kept coming out. *sigh* I ruined like 95% of my brushes in one go. So sad. I knew not to do it either!! ARGH! I'm probably over exaggerating, the brushes aren't "ruined" but I know what I did to them and I feel so bad!
ssad.gif
haha Drama queen. . .lol

Sushi_Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsmurfy
I usually love washing my brushes but I did the biggest brush washing no-no. I soaked them in a concentrated mix of shampoo and water. I kept washing and washing and the soap just kept coming out. *sigh* I ruined like 95% of my brushes in one go. So sad. I knew not to do it either!! ARGH! I'm probably over exaggerating, the brushes aren't "ruined" but I know what I did to them and I feel so bad!
ssad.gif
haha Drama queen. . .lol

What do to mean by a concentrated mix of shampoo and water? I always clean mine with baby shampoo and water!

I clean mine differently to everyone elses it seems though which is probably why i hate doing it more than others. I put a little shampoo in my hand and soak the brush i'm cleaning in water and then apply it to shampoo in my hand and swirl it around in my hand, rinse, swirl it around in more shampoo, rinse etc untill the water runs clear from the brush. I do this one by one with each brush so it's really time consuming.
I've never tried the 'leaving standing in solution to soak' method. I imagined it wouldn't get all the dirt out properly and also i'd be scared to leave the brushes standing on their bristles as it might damage them. I guess i'm wrong about these assumptions then?

yam900

I wash mine in a weak solution of baby shampoo and warm water. I dont soak them though as i heard somewhere it was bad for them. I dry them on a paper towel and leave them out to dry.

Eemaan

i wash mine everyday but find it a royal pain in the ass. hate colour transfer from the previous days brush workout!

you need to be careful about immersing the whole brush it water and the glue sticking the metal part to the wood will moisten and ruin the brush.

Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi_Flower
What do to mean by a concentrated mix of shampoo and water? I always clean mine with baby shampoo and water!

I clean mine differently to everyone elses it seems though which is probably why i hate doing it more than others. I put a little shampoo in my hand and soak the brush i'm cleaning in water and then apply it to shampoo in my hand and swirl it around in my hand, rinse, swirl it around in more shampoo, rinse etc untill the water runs clear from the brush. I do this one by one with each brush so it's really time consuming.
I've never tried the 'leaving standing in solution to soak' method. I imagined it wouldn't get all the dirt out properly and also i'd be scared to leave the brushes standing on their bristles as it might damage them. I guess i'm wrong about these assumptions then?

I do the exact same thing as you. (Except I usually use a gentle face wash for sensitive skin though) I love how the white cleanser foams up to whatever colour product was on the brush. Maybe it's because I only have a dozen brushes to wash?

MissMarley

I don't particularly enjoy doing it, but I do it at least once a week, and more for the brushes I use most often, or with emollient products (those I wash after every use). I also wash my white-bristle brushes after each use, because I don't want them to stain! I just use baby shampoo on mine, in warm water- I pour a little shampoo in my hand, massage it into the brush, and then rinse till the water runs clear.

alysia

smiles.gif
I have a nice tangerine shampoo that I use. One of the MAC girls told me not to use baby shampoo as the no tears formula is bad for the brushes & just to use regular shampoo. I use the wet brush, swirl in shampoo method (same as my paint brushes)

BabyFu18

I don't really enjoy cleaning my brushes, but I try to do it pretty often cause I cannot stand the makeup buildup that the brushes get if I don't clean them often. I use a kids shampoo to clean my brushes (the swirl in hand method) on a daily basis, and then I clean them with brush cleaner once a week. My foundation brush seems to take forever to clean, which makes me less than thrilled to clean my brushes.

What brand of brush cleaner do you guys reccomend? I have been using Clinique but I'm all out so I thought I'd see if anyone suggest a different brand?

arbonnechick

I use the MAC brush cleaner, but I've been following that with the Grins and Giggles baby wash for sweeter smelling brushes.