anaaliyahfan03's MAC hiring story

anaaliyahfan03

hi..i looked to see if there was a thread like mine..i saw one about working weekends but i think it was talking about being off on weekends...so i thought id post cause mine is different...there are a couple of employees at 2 macs that want me to turn in an application..at the pro store its for freelance and at the counter its to be perm...the thing is for the pro store is that i dont have reliable transportation for freelance but for perm at the counter i got reliable transportation but just for the weekends (just sat and sun)..im in school and times are hard so i share a car with my boyfriend and he already has a steady job..so the freelance is pretty much out...but i just wanted to know from people that already work at mac store or counter, am i able to work just sat and sun before i even turn in an application? (i thought it wouldnt be a prob since knowing saturdays is the busiest days anyways) HELP!
weeping.gif

P.S. working at the counter can you still get 60% off at the pro store? (cant help it, had to ask
graucho.gif
)

giz2000

Re: Only Working Weekends At Mac

As a perm, unless there is a 10 hour position open, then probably not just Saturday and Sunday...around here, the 10-hour counter MAs usually work Sat/Sun because they go to school during the week. Then again, they usually get scheduled for more hours (one of my old countermates was a 15 hour and got 20-25 hours every week). I say turn in your application for both places and see what happens. What's the worse they can say..no? It's better than not trying at all!

And yes, you do get the 60% discount (and gratis and EMS) as a counter employee...and even if you only work 10-15 hours/week! Good luck!

FacesbyNiki

No problem.

I worked friday night, saturday and sunday. I have a full time job and it was ok with them to have a schedule like that.

anaaliyahfan03

cool..i just thought about just sat and sun..im busy with school mon-fri and plus i dont have a way there...so i am going to go sat morning and turn in the application...i wish i could find time during the week this week (as in weekday)

NaturalSister19

At my counter, the best sales days have actually been Thursdays and Fridays more consistently than Saturday. Go for the perm, I say.

anaaliyahfan03

makeup counter experience to freelance with mac???

ok here is my story..i went to turn in my application for freelance to mac..the manager told me that the freelance hiring was relocated to a different mall in houston..so i called that manager and she told me that i had to have makeup counter experience to freelance or work for mac and of course i don't..i just have regular retail experience in a fast paced environment..a lady that's a pro makeup artist said i should have lied and said i worked for one cause sometimes they be trippin..but i can't lie..lol...is it really true that u have to have to have makeup counter experience cause i am a little sad (yea i cried
weeping.gif
)

Bernadette

Re: makeup counter experience to freelance with mac???

Everyone I know that works for MAC that started as an artist had previous counter experience. The one person I know that didn't, had gone to cosmetology school and has her esthitician license. She started as a cashier and moved into an artist position after about a year and a half. I don't know if it varies by region.
It's good that you cna't lie, it can and will bite you in the ass further down the line.

anaaliyahfan03

oh yea..lol..im not that sneaky...one of the manager's at the mac store said i just had to have knowledge of makeup..which i do..and just have retail experience..which i do..this is all confusing..all im trying to do is work for them and they are whoooa buddy! confusin the hell out of me..boy boy, don't know what to do

mello

Try applying at a counter first for experience? Then later on you could try again for freelancing.

FacesbyNiki

Most of the girls that worked my counter had NO other make up artist experience. I think it depends on the person that is interviewing you.

anaaliyahfan03

thats what i am thinkin..we were on the phone though..and she said i had to have makeup counter experience..and i thought she was full of shit because i was telling her i have makeup and retail experience..it might not be fashion show, photo shoot, etc like that..but i have been doin it for 6 years and she was just like u need to have worked at a makeup counter..bla bla bla..i'll either work at a counter somewhere or just try at the other mac store

BunnyBunnyBunny

I did not have any previous experience. When I got hired as a freelancer, I had just turned 18 (last year), and it was my first job ever!! I had no previous job, and almost no knowledge of makeup, I was just good at applications. I did however, present a large portfolio, mostly pictures of myself, of makeup I have done, maybe that's what made a difference. I'd been freelancing til about May-Juneish, when the manager at my closest location told me they may be having a job opening. After a few interviews and ALOT of working there, I got the job in July of this year. =)

I think it's just circumstantial really. But definitely make a portfolio. Introduce yourself to all the counters closest to you and try and befriend all the artists. It'll definitely help you. Good luck!!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaaliyahfan03
thats what i am thinkin..we were on the phone though..and she said i had to have makeup counter experience..and i thought she was full of shit because i was telling her i have makeup and retail experience..it might not be fashion show, photo shoot, etc like that..but i have been doin it for 6 years and she was just like u need to have worked at a makeup counter..bla bla bla..i'll either work at a counter somewhere or just try at the other mac store

Yes, keep trying because to me that doesn't sound right.