Another reason I *DISPISE* extream animal rights groups

Hawkeye

Should this Polar Bear Die?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17703212/?GT1=9145

according to some animal rights activists- YES it should!
Why? Because one day someone saw an abandoned polar bear and decided Oh No! I don't want it to die- so I will take care of it. And (it goes on in the article) the zoo and stuff then an uproar began about how it should be destroyed because they made the mistake of handfeeding the cub.

So a polar bear- an endangered species at that- should be destroyed because of a human error.

Honestly, and I'm all for protecting animals. I'm the idiot that will stop on the freaking interstate to get a freaking chicken out of the road. So this is coming from a very biased perspective here.

The Polar Bear shouldn't die because of human error. If I saw an abandoned Polar Bear- guess what I would do? Take him home, take care of him and try to get him in a zoo.

But what baffles me the most- is these people saying that because of human error- the polar bear should die. Now- not only that but Polar Bears are endangered. Sure little Knut (the polar bears name) can never return to the wild again- and thats sad thats a result of human error but how many polar bears live in zoos? I mean there is no reason to destroy it.

The critisizm is horrible. I mean if there is an endangered species- wouldn't it make sense to I dunno- let that little guy live and then try to mate him and then try to get his offspring out in the wild?

It just baffles me. Not only is this an animal rights thing its an animal protection thing whatever. It's still ridicuouls.

And the best part is- What if someone said it about a human being-lets destroy him- oh we can't because it's human and that's an animal. Whatever.

I wish these animal rights people would make up their damn minds.

And Andre- buddy I have all the respect in the world for you - his quote:
"These criticisms make me angry, but you can't take them so seriously," Andre Schuele said. "Polar bears live alone in the wild; I see no logical reason why this bear should be killed."

What are your thoughts on this?

Beauty Mark

I didn't understand it myself. I'm ridiculously protective of animals; I try to free insects and only kill ones I think are poisonous.

I've been trying to figure out if the group is against caging, ie zoos and/or domesticating animals period. I can't strand those groups myself, but it's less hypocritical if they are.

Their arguments make no sense otherwise, because domesticating animals should be considered against nature. Medical services should be considered not natural. People who make arguments like that always annoy the hell out of me. Besides, perhaps in our nature to fend for all creatures.

That little bear is adorable, and I would've saved him had I found him. Maybe his mother was off (don't laugh; I think some animals can be crazy and God only knows what's in the environment that may have made her reject her children) and it wasn't really nature acting. He seems healthy and fine; there's no reason to kill him.

There are plenty of animals born in captivity that cannot be released in the wild. They're important for us to study, and as long as it's a decent zoo, they seem to have good lives.

Hawkeye

That's the only thing I can figure too. It's just so annoying. I wish they would get on one side of the fence or the other.

STOP BEING SO DAMN LUKEWARM- CHOOSE DAMNIT

*stomps foot on ground* OK I'm better.

It's just annoying. Very very annoying.

But then if they are the kind against animal confinement- why does the zoo themselves say the Knut should be destroyed? that makes no sense?

sharyn

Yup I've heard about Knut since he's german
smiles.gif

I am against fur, animal testing and I believe that NO animal should be tortured or put through pain for humans. Buuuuut...

Saying you should kill this little thing will not make animal rights groups look better. If you really wanna change something in the world and make it a better place for animals, stop talking b*shit bout killing an Icebear because he's at a zoo and go help the animals that really need it, fur "farms" or animals who are used for experiments.
Demanding that Knut should be killed makes lots and lots of people think that animal rights activists are all insane and will probably make it even harder the next time they really want to drag attention to something.

silverblackened

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharyn
Saying you should kill this little thing will not make animal rights groups look better. If you really wanna change something in the worls and make it a better place for animals, stop talking b*shit bout killing an Icebear because he's at a zoo and go help the animals that really need it, fur "farms" or animals who are used for experiments.
Demanding that Knut should be killed makes lots and lots of people think that animal rights activists are all insane and will probably make it even harder the next time they really want to drag attention to something.

Exactly. I saw the article about Knut in the newspaper today and was totally stunned. Go take your energies elsewhere, where they're really needed. Let the bear live; doesn't he have a right to?

It's not like it's a discussion on abortion. He's already been born.

veilchen

Knut is everywhere in the media over here, too, and I'd rather have these stupid activists killed than the little bear, who hasn't done any harm to anybody and surely has a right to live just like any other creature here on Earth. Ok, so maybe his being raised by a human is not the way nature would go, but zoo animals in general don't live exactly like they would out in nature. So should all zoo animals be killed as a result? There have been and will be many many more animals raised by humans because their mother wouldn't look after them, Knut is not the first and won't be the last.
No one would ever think of claiming something like this when a baby were concerned - just because its mother can't or doesn't want to keep it no one would kill it. What a perverted idea this would be ... Some people are just plain stupid, animal activist or not - such people can't really have a heart.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilchen
.... I'd rather have these stupid activists killed than the little bear......

That pretty much sums it up for me.
smiles.gif

MissMarley

I just don't understand their logic. Shouldn't they be ranting against zoos in general? Humans are feeding the animals, they aren't hunting on their own...should we just let them starve in their enclosures unless some unlucky rabbit or squirrel happens to wander by? Poor little bear. I hope it has a long and happy life, and screw those bastards who want it put down.

kimmy

i'm absolutely in L
eyelove.gif
VE with polar bears (especially baby ones) so i might be a little biased. but, this is just plain stupid. i'm going to agree with veilchen and say that i'd rather see these moron "animal rights activists" killed than the poor little bear that never did anything wrong.

the baby bear has my vote.

ps. this is kind of off topic, but this reminds me of those "animal rights activists" that were pushing for people to feed their cats vegetarian food. if they knew their asses from a hole in the ground, they'd know that cats are carnivores which means they NEED meat, and depriving them of that need is just downright cruel. i think most of these people just get so damn emotional that they can't see straight and they can't differentiate right from wrong, no mtter how blatantly obvious it is to the rest of us.

thestarsfall

I hate animal rights activists.....they both place animals higher than humans, and at the same time treat any that come into contact with humans as if they should die.

Didn't PETA kill a bunch of pets or something cuz they "shouldnt be under human control" or whatever....I dunno

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
And the best part is- What if someone said it about a human being-lets destroy him- oh we can't because it's human and that's an animal. Whatever.

People destory human life all the time. I say that sometimes people can't see the nose for their face...in other words, they are so blinded by their ideology that they can't see the sensible thing to do. (and i am speaking broadly here, not about any specific group)

Jacq-i

PETA is horrid... And THAT is coming from me, a vegetarian, for moral reasons.

*sighs* If nobody wants to take care of the polar bear, I'll take it!
winks.gif
greengrin.gif

Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq-i
PETA is horrid... And THAT is coming from me, a vegetarian, for moral reasons.

*sighs* If nobody wants to take care of the polar bear, I'll take it!
winks.gif
greengrin.gif

i think i love you. lol
seriously- peta- wow they scare the hell out of me. i mean those people...*shudders* I get a fear of pure evil running down my spine when I think of them.

macslut

Here is a website you might be intersted in:

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Disclaimer: I have not really looked around it all that much. But it is a fact that PETA kills animals. IMO, I consider them weenie activists. In it as along as they don't break a nail.
lmao.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestarsfall
I hate animal rights activists.....they both place animals higher than humans, and at the same time treat any that come into contact with humans as if they should die.

Actually, not all animal activists are like that (I'd say they're the minority but they're a loud minority)... Some are working to save certain animals from extinction, stop animal abuse, stop unnecessary animal testing (some testing that's done is really ridiculous and pointless; I'm not talking about medicine), encourage adoption, stop puppy/kitty mills, better treatment of animals in farms (some of them truly live in disgusting settings), etc.

While I don't like animal testing or wish to perform it myself, I think it's a necessity in medical cases. I don't think I'm in the minority of animal rights people when it comes to that.

While I do not support PETA myself (I think some of their resources are decent but do not care for their means of promoting animal rights), I do question sites like the one about PETA killing animals. I think a lot of people who already dislike orgs like PETA are more inclined to believe a site like that. Wikipedia, though it can be easily changed by anyone presents an interesting reason why the animals might be killed.

I think there are plenty of reasons to dislike PETA in any case. For me, it's about their aggressive campaigning. I hate fur myself. I think it's disgusting and especially ridiculous when it's chinchilla coat; not because chinchillas are cute but because it takes so many of them to make one coat. However, throwing paint on people isn't going to win them over. I think sometimes fur shops secretly love it, because it's just going to cause someone else to buy it.

About the polar bear... is it safe for him yet to interact with other polar bears?

sharyn

Beautymark, I think there are more secure ways to test medicine than animal testing. I have a website where a group of doctors demand that animal testing should stop because it gives patients the feeling that the medicine is safe when it really isnt - since (example) rats react different than humans.

http://aerzte-gegen-tierversuche.de/i.php4?Lang=en

I do not mean to correct you - I just wanted to show my point of view.
smiles.gif
And I totaly agree with the rest of your post.

Beauty Mark

Oh, I think animal testing can be faulty. Sometimes, for instance, scientists put way too much of a substance, like fake sugar, in a rat and declare it unsafe, even though it would be virtually impossible for a human to consume that much.

I think it can be useful, though, at least as a starting point. I just don't want to do it myself.

ilovexnerdsx

ack. i mentioned this in another thread already but it bears repeating...

i used to do community service for a vet (because my school required it, not because i am a criminal
winks.gif
) and one day a lady from PETA came in and adopted 4 puppies. before she had even left the parking lot she euthanized them, claiming dogs aren't meant to be slaves.
WTF2.gif

to a certain degree, animal rights groups have my complete support. im all for saving and helping animals. but there are some people who cross the line and actually cause harm because of a silly misconception, and it ruins the respect i have for them.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovexnerdsx
.....and one day a lady from PETA came in and adopted 4 puppies. before she had even left the parking lot she euthanized them, claiming dogs aren't meant to be slaves.....

Call me an asshole, but I would have no compunction over euthanizing her. In a parking lot no less, so it was nice an impersonal and uncomfortable. Who is she to deprive them of the possiblity of being adopted into a loving home? What a f**king nut job.

Did you guys call the police?

And no, I am not an animal activist. I just have a low tolerance for idiots and assholes.

Latest posts