Any of you girls 18-ish and younger?

LeeanneMarie

If so, how do you guys fund your MAC obsession? I have an allowance, and I'm supposed to use it for food, nights out (like movies and stuff), clothes, pretty much everything, but lately I've been using it all on MAC.
whistle.gif

I'm just wondering if there are many other girls on this board around my age (I'm 17).

Also, how do your friends view your obsession? I feel like no one understands me because none of my friends are really that into makeup. And it gets frustrating but then I come to Specktra and I feel a bit better, haha!
winks.gif

elib067

alright girl i'll help you out here, i'm almost 20 and i'm in college and let me tell you i have actually gotten a lot of my friends addicted to mac. i have a job so i don't spend my parent's money on makeup but they definitely disapprove of my addiction haha. but what can you do, its your life and do what makes you happy. personally i HATE shopping for clothes because i hate the preppy type of style my friends have so i spend my money on mac. i would much rather buy things that make me feel good about myself and mac me feel pretty than stupid things that will go in and out of style.

girl do what you want and i'm sure you can always come to specktra and talk about makeup with your new friends!

user46

i'm 19 tomorrow (yayy). besides that, i have a credit card, and i work. besides christmas and things like that, i pay for my makeup myself.

chocolategoddes

I'm 16. No one understands my MAC (makeuup) obsession. Most of my friends are guys and I'm so much like them personality wise and I'm not even that girly but I'm always hanging out with them wearing some bright color on my face. My girl friends aren't into makeup as much. Sometimes they let me do their makeup but thats it. I've always heard about how awesome MAC was and I bought my first MAC products probably back in October and now I have like 15 things. I'm still building up my collection. Makeup has always been an interest of mine so I don't know what really got me into it.

WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF WE COULD HAVE A GROUP OR SUB-COMMUNITY FOR YOUNG SPECKTRA MEMBERS? LIKE 20 OR YOUNGER...

MACActress

There used to be a teen subforum, but I think it was really inactive so it got deleted or something.

I'm 17, and I sorta grew out of my mac addiction? I'll still get the occasional thing from a collection but I'm not buying a lot like I used to. But I had a really good babysitting job and I get allowance so I would usually use that, and get the occasional thing from my parents.

NutMeg

I'm 18, and I really can't remember how I funded my collection. I went makeup crazy after my cousin died and I now have a collection worth several thousand dollars... I don't know where the money came from. I had enough of my own money (through working and money that I got when I was little that has been growing ever since) to pay for most of it, but the rest... I guess must have been Christmas money and stuff like that. My parents almost never gave me money for makeup. Anyway, I don't buy MAC anymore. I have so much that it will take me years to use it up and now that I'm in university I have more important things to spend my money on. I love what I've got though.
greengrin.gif

newagetomatoz

I'm 17 and I worked for my collection. Over the summer I worked as a market research interview--basically I called people and tried to get them to do surveys with me--, worked at a food stand in an outdoor concert series, and babysat nearly every week for this woman who always over paid me. And because I quit my job since they required a mandatory 20 hours/week, my parents give me an always allowance and some extra money now and then because I work my ass off in school.

I get how people don't see the value in me spending my money on MAC, but it is something that I place a high priority/importance on, versus someone who wants a car or sports tickets. The Clearance Bin is a life saver.
smiles.gif
But right now, I have a pretty decent collection and try to be realistic about what I will actually use in a collection. Like I love those Fafi lipsticks, but I rarely wear lipstick, or if I do, it is a nude color and I always forget to reapply it. So, Specktra definately helps curb the impulse buying since I have time to reflect on collections before they come out.

My friends really don't know about my "addiction." They know I love makeup, but not how much. Though, they did buy me a traincase. But something they do ask me to do their makeup, and when they see my collection, the whole "Holy Crap!" thing happens.

But hey, it's my money and my life and I really don't regret anything I have bought. I guess it just makes me Tay.
th_DANCE.gif
I'm such a dork!

CantAffordMAC

I'm 18 (will be 19 next month) and I work two jobs. I get between $700-800 a month. I still live at home (for another few months) so I don't pay any real bills. I give my mom $100 a month for rent. I pay my phone bill which is $55 a month. And the rest I spend when needed (food mostly, then anything I want/have been needing, etc) I always put away at least a couple hundred every month.

That being said, I have just begun really spending money at MAC. I couldn't afford it before, and now I have been budgeting so that I can afford it. I'm trying to build my collection, and its something thats important to me. I just don't go over a certain amount usually. I don't go crazy with money. Like I figure when certain collections come out I'm not going to let myself spend over X amount of dollars on it. I have some lipglasses/lipsticks and shadows that i really want, but I will get them in small increments, or else I'll be broke for 2 weeks until my next check. I think you should choose whether or not you need it. Foundation and concealer--is a must. And it lasts for a long time. But aside from that, figure out how much you'll need per week/month on food and going out, and then figure out how much you'll need for your MAC. I've been writing down my MAC wishlist and then writing down the cost of those items, so i can budget accordingly and figure out which stuff I want the most and buy like 3 of those things first. Then when I get more money or whatever, I can get a few more things.
winks.gif

You're lucky you get an allowance girl. pray your family doesn't make you get a job, pay for all your own shit, and then pay them rent on top of that. it sucks. AND I won't have health insurance next month. I've been working consistently since I was 16, paying for everything I bought (including food, doctors visits, prescriptions, etc) I work 2 jobs now, and I pay rent at home (I just graduated in June) and now I won't have insurance. Ain't that a bitch? lol
th_rolleye0014.gif

Anyways, I don't really have friends. So it doesn't matter what anyone thinks lol. My boyfriend doesn't mind my addiction too much he just laughs at me. he doesn't understand how a MAC gift card could be the perfect gift. Boys!

pahblov

I'm 18 and going to university. I get an allowance for food, rent, books etc...with a little bit for spending money (ie. going out) every month. I basically sat down with my allowance and budgeted out some money for MAC every month. It's not a lot, but I find that if you know exactly how much you have to spend when you go in, it's a lot easier to quell the obsession!

LeeanneMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
I'm 18 (will be 19 next month) and I work two jobs. I get between $700-800 a month. I still live at home (for another few months) so I don't pay any real bills. I give my mom $100 a month for rent. I pay my phone bill which is $55 a month. And the rest I spend when needed (food mostly, then anything I want/have been needing, etc) I always put away at least a couple hundred every month.

That being said, I have just begun really spending money at MAC. I couldn't afford it before, and now I have been budgeting so that I can afford it. I'm trying to build my collection, and its something thats important to me. I just don't go over a certain amount usually. I don't go crazy with money. Like I figure when certain collections come out I'm not going to let myself spend over X amount of dollars on it. I have some lipglasses/lipsticks and shadows that i really want, but I will get them in small increments, or else I'll be broke for 2 weeks until my next check. I think you should choose whether or not you need it. Foundation and concealer--is a must. And it lasts for a long time. But aside from that, figure out how much you'll need per week/month on food and going out, and then figure out how much you'll need for your MAC. I've been writing down my MAC wishlist and then writing down the cost of those items, so i can budget accordingly and figure out which stuff I want the most and buy like 3 of those things first. Then when I get more money or whatever, I can get a few more things.
winks.gif

You're lucky you get an allowance girl. pray your family doesn't make you get a job, pay for all your own shit, and then pay them rent on top of that. it sucks. AND I won't have health insurance next month. I've been working consistently since I was 16, paying for everything I bought (including food, doctors visits, prescriptions, etc) I work 2 jobs now, and I pay rent at home (I just graduated in June) and now I won't have insurance. Ain't that a bitch? lol
th_rolleye0014.gif

Anyways, I don't really have friends. So it doesn't matter what anyone thinks lol. My boyfriend doesn't mind my addiction too much he just laughs at me. he doesn't understand how a MAC gift card could be the perfect gift. Boys!

Yeah, I do feel really fortunate and lucky that I get an allowance. I've been looking for a job and I've had a few interviews but thats a whole nother story, lol.

I feel like I don't have much time to work and I think my parents understand that. I'm taking a bunch of AP classes, and I was drum major of my marching band with a lot of responsibility and time commitment.

That really sucks that you have to pay rent to your own parents.
ssad.gif
Isn't half the point of staying home saving money on such expenses? Don't tell me you're going to school too on top of everything! Thats just too much!

LeeanneMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetomatoz
I'm 17 and I worked for my collection. Over the summer I worked as a market research interview--basically I called people and tried to get them to do surveys with me--, worked at a food stand in an outdoor concert series, and babysat nearly every week for this woman who always over paid me. And because I quit my job since they required a mandatory 20 hours/week, my parents give me an always allowance and some extra money now and then because I work my ass off in school.

I get how people don't see the value in me spending my money on MAC, but it is something that I place a high priority/importance on, versus someone who wants a car or sports tickets. The Clearance Bin is a life saver.
smiles.gif
But right now, I have a pretty decent collection and try to be realistic about what I will actually use in a collection. Like I love those Fafi lipsticks, but I rarely wear lipstick, or if I do, it is a nude color and I always forget to reapply it. So, Specktra definately helps curb the impulse buying since I have time to reflect on collections before they come out.

My friends really don't know about my "addiction." They know I love makeup, but not how much. Though, they did buy me a traincase. But something they do ask me to do their makeup, and when they see my collection, the whole "Holy Crap!" thing happens.

But hey, it's my money and my life and I really don't regret anything I have bought. I guess it just makes me Tay.
th_DANCE.gif
I'm such a dork!

I know exactly waht you mean about being realistic. I mean I hardly ever wear lipgloss for the same reason you don't wear lipstick but sometimes its hard to resist. But you're right, thats what the clearance bin and CCOs are for :]

x-ivy

i'm 15
smiles.gif
youngest one here so far...truthfully I have to beg my mum to get new eyeshadow for me...I don't have a job yet or anything, so when I get money from family at anytime, it usually goes towards small stuff and make-up (new mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow etc.) I'm not really obsessed...yet. I just enjoy making different looks. For the forum and the looks you guys post on here, they're subtle, but at I school I feel like I stand out
th_dunno.gif
. My friends don't wear anything but eyeliner or mascara at most, but I did noticte one of my friends that uses MAC make-up. Her looks are really smoky....that's about it
smiles.gif

SmileyfacedPen

I'm 16. I work at an animal hospital, and since my dad died, I get monthly death benefits. I pay for all my own stuff, or if it's something super expensive (like the laptop I got two months ago), my mom will put it on her credit card, and I will pay her back a few hundred dollars every month.

Usually I alternate between saving money for MAC or Sephora orders, and saving for tattoos... I have two tattoos, and I'm getting another (hopefully!) next month, so I've been saving like crazy for the tattoo and the Fafi collection!

I get paid quite a bit more than most people my age, because half of the days I work, I work from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. I should have a lot of money on my paycheque that will be coming soon because I worked over Christmas, and most of that will be saved for my tattoo. I try my best at budgeting, and when I place MAC or Sephora orders, I try not to go over a certain amount, depending on how much I've got left for the month.

My friends are pretty indifferent about my makeup. Between my tattoos, and my My Little Pony and Beanie Baby collections, I'm pretty sure that nothing I do seems weird to them anymore.
winks.gif

NubianHoneii

I'm 19.
I dont have a job right now (I did a while ago and I saved like hell), but since I'm in college right now I get about 850 a month from the government because my dad was a Vietnam vet. I take some of that money, and I save up my loose change for the day in a bucket then go cash it. You'd be shocked at how much money you can save that way.

oh, and my life revolves around my credit card =)

as for the friend thing... everyone only ask one thing "can you do my make-up?"

TangoMango

I'm 18 and I get money from my dad every month. When I started wearing MAC (at 15) most of that money went to buying MAC. I think I'm growing out of it though, because I'm truely sick and tired of MAC coming out with a new l/e collection every month. After the Fafi and Heatherette collections come out, I'm taking a break from MAC and will be trying other brands like MUFE and NARS. Plus, I need to save up so I can go study abroad.

glam8babe

i turned 18 on new years eve! woo lol
anyway i dont have a job.. i hate working the only place i would love to work is at a makeup counter but im applying for Estee Lauder once ive passed my driving test next week [well i hope i pass! :|] and theres jobs going there and you dont need experience or makeup school as long as you know the basics of makeup etc.
everytime a new mac collection comes out my boyfriend spends at LEAST £120 [$240] on mac for me.. basically we go to Newcastle to the mac counter.. i pick out everything i want.. he pays.. i guess im just very lucky lol i love it! i never pay for anything and people might think im shallow or something but thats just my boyfriend for ya.. he pays for EVERYTHING and when i had a job during xmas i quit because i could make more money from my boyfriend by sitting on my ass lol

my auntie lives in Belgium, shes a millionaire and worked for a huge company and visited the white house often and went all over the world... her husband is a pilot [not sure what type] but he makes LOADS and she always sends me gorgeous things.. she buys me £100s worth of clothes every few month because she wants me to be very fashionable.. she pays for my hair to get done but recently my bf has been paying for that because his sister has her own salon and he can get it cheaper for me... same with nails his other sister is a nail tech in the same salon so i get them done free
my mother hardly pays for anything, she doesnt work .. we aint rich [its just me and her ive never met my father and i dont want to.. i dont have any siblings which i love.. and my nana passed away in 2005 who lived with us and i miss her EVERY day] my millionaire auntie bought me a house when i was 6 years old the one that me and my mother live in so its in my name and everything but i live with my bf half of the time now anyway so i dont need a house to myself .. yet
i quit college.. i hated the work YES I HATE WORK im so lazy but i dont care .. my family care though but to be honest i dont wanna work on an airplane serving food n shit [i did travel and tourism, maths, english etc.] and quit after 3 month... then i was gonna do beauty but i thought 'ive learnt SOO much off specktra and i dont wanna clean peoples skin, wax their sweaty pits or crap like that' and i KNOW how to do makeup now so i didnt bother doing beauty.. but now im doing i.t with my best friend and my boyfriend and we are doing photography in a few month...
but yeh thats basically most of my life story lol... i cant afford mac myself coz i dont get money i just get things bought for me... im so glad to have a lovely boyfriend [he doesnt understand this makeup addiction though but he tries to act happy lol] oh and i first bought mac when i was 16 with my ex bf.. but i bought it myself [eagar lipstick!] haha yeh only one item but i didnt even know about specktra so i didnt know all this amazing stuff i do now

i really dont wanna get old
ssad.gif
i feel old being 18 now

LeeanneMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyfacedPen
Usually I alternate between saving money for MAC or Sephora orders, and saving for tattoos... I have two tattoos, and I'm getting another (hopefully!) next month, so I've been saving like crazy for the tattoo and the Fafi collection!

What are your tattoos of?

LeeanneMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
i turned 18 on new years eve! woo lol
anyway i dont have a job.. i hate working the only place i would love to work is at a makeup counter but im applying for Estee Lauder once ive passed my driving test next week [well i hope i pass! :|] and theres jobs going there and you dont need experience or makeup school as long as you know the basics of makeup etc.
everytime a new mac collection comes out my boyfriend spends at LEAST £120 [$240] on mac for me.. basically we go to Newcastle to the mac counter.. i pick out everything i want.. he pays.. i guess im just very lucky lol i love it! i never pay for anything and people might think im shallow or something but thats just my boyfriend for ya.. he pays for EVERYTHING and when i had a job during xmas i quit because i could make more money from my boyfriend by sitting on my ass lol

my auntie lives in Belgium, shes a millionaire and worked for a huge company and visited the white house often and went all over the world... her husband is a pilot [not sure what type] but he makes LOADS and she always sends me gorgeous things.. she buys me £100s worth of clothes every few month because she wants me to be very fashionable.. she pays for my hair to get done but recently my bf has been paying for that because his sister has her own salon and he can get it cheaper for me... same with nails his other sister is a nail tech in the same salon so i get them done free
my mother hardly pays for anything, she doesnt work .. we aint rich [its just me and her ive never met my father and i dont want to.. i dont have any siblings which i love.. and my nana passed away in 2005 who lived with us and i miss her EVERY day] my millionaire auntie bought me a house when i was 6 years old the one that me and my mother live in so its in my name and everything but i live with my bf half of the time now anyway so i dont need a house to myself .. yet
i quit college.. i hated the work YES I HATE WORK im so lazy but i dont care .. my family care though but to be honest i dont wanna work on an airplane serving food n shit [i did travel and tourism, maths, english etc.] and quit after 3 month... then i was gonna do beauty but i thought 'ive learnt SOO much off specktra and i dont wanna clean peoples skin, wax their sweaty pits or crap like that' and i KNOW how to do makeup now so i didnt bother doing beauty.. but now im doing i.t with my best friend and my boyfriend and we are doing photography in a few month...
but yeh thats basically most of my life story lol... i cant afford mac myself coz i dont get money i just get things bought for me... im so glad to have a lovely boyfriend [he doesnt understand this makeup addiction though but he tries to act happy lol] oh and i first bought mac when i was 16 with my ex bf.. but i bought it myself [eagar lipstick!] haha yeh only one item but i didnt even know about specktra so i didnt know all this amazing stuff i do now

i really dont wanna get old
ssad.gif
i feel old being 18 now

You sound like a very lucky girl! When you say you're applying to estee lauder, are you applying to a counter?

Yeah, I don't college isn't for everyone. I think its really about doing what you're passionate about, and if college isn't in that picture then thats still a-okay.
yes.gif

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeanneMarie
Yeah, I do feel really fortunate and lucky that I get an allowance. I've been looking for a job and I've had a few interviews but thats a whole nother story, lol.

I feel like I don't have much time to work and I think my parents understand that. I'm taking a bunch of AP classes, and I was drum major of my marching band with a lot of responsibility and time commitment.

That really sucks that you have to pay rent to your own parents.
ssad.gif
Isn't half the point of staying home saving money on such expenses? Don't tell me you're going to school too on top of everything! Thats just too much!

Well I understand. When I was 14 I was trying to get a job but no one would hire at such a young age. I had been trying to get a job from then on, and Mcdonalds was the first place to give me a chance at age 16. I know it can be hard trying to get a job while being a teenager. You sound pretty responsible, just don't blow all of your money on MAC. Its a good idea to put away at least $10 every time you get an allowance (I'd put away more, but it depends on how much you get) Because you never know when something could happen to your family's financial situation, or they may just try to make you grow up too fast. Just remmeber that its always a good idea to have something saved for a rainy day.

No I'm not in college. I decided not to go since I have my cosmetology license. Its a good thing I decided not to, because I couldn't handle everything. My family is in a bad financial situation right now, which has nothing to do with me and I wasn't paying rent until a few months ago. But still, I just graduated and sometimes I don't think its fair. I can't change it though...I should have an apartment by March so everything will change
winks.gif