Any thoughts on living in Austin, TX?

pale blue

So my fiance got an offer to do a job transfer to Austin. Any rants/raves about living there? The cost of living will be cheaper than living in NJ, so in a way that's good. We'll be visiting soon, but I'd appreciate any information anyone can offer
smiles.gif

kaliraksha

Although cost of living is cheaper my boyfriend's parents moved from Chicago and they complain that property taxes are much higher at the end of the year... so keep that in mind if you are planning on purchasing a house.

I really like living here... something is always open... it's a great place to live if you are in your 20s-30s. It's the city with the largest # of that age group. The temperature is usually really pleasant... as a Texas city though it's also a bit crazy and changes randomly.

I think it really depends on what you're interested in. Lots of nice cheaper "cultural" things to do because of UT performing arts. Tons of neat restaurants. We have a dlp projector movie theater... one of the few outside of NY and Cali. Ohh it's a big health city too... lots of "wholesome food stores" and tons and tons of parks.

pale blue

lol my property taxes are outrageous now as it is, I think NJ has some of the worst in the country. I currently pay almost $3000/year for a small 1 bedroom condo...at that rate I can't imagine it being too much worse, but maybe it is...I'd have to look into it.

I knew it's a big health city...I believe quite a few doctors live there which I'm sure pushes up the cost of housing.

What's a dip movie projector? lol I've never heard of one
blush-anim-cl.gif

kaliraksha

hehe i couldnt disagree with asteffey more =)

im democratic every single one of my friends is demoractic... in other cities in texas... maybe. but austin is really liberal. we have a resident transvestite that runs for mayor every year.. or maybe she/he use to...

unless asteffey is looking at other points of view and im just thinking about the fact that i havent even met a republican in austin yet?

yeah 3000 for a one bedroom is a lot. my parents paid like 8000 for their house... but we have a 5 bedroom... so yeah =/

lovejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteffey
if you arent a republican, don't live there.

My cousin tells me Austin is a bit different from everywhere else in Texas. I mean, I still wouldn't choose to live there, but if I absolutely had to live in Texas? Austin would probably be where I'd be most willing to go.

pale blue

I figured Austin would be the most liberal town in all of TX, but honestly political affiliations wouldn't sway me from moving there...even though I am a dem
smiles.gif

Thanks for all your input, it's really helpful. Keep it coming if you've got something else to say!

Classic Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteffey
if you arent a republican, don't live there.

Don't make judgements just because it's in Texas.

Travis county (the county where Austin is located) is mainly the only democratic county in texas. But dont let that get to you. You will find all Republicans and Democrats and Independents and Greens here.

Austin is my favorite city that I have ever been too. It's big, but it's small. The restaurants are always great, you can find live music everywhere. It's pretty clean. There are many great parks and the hill country is BEAUTIFUL! It does get hot in Texas, but it's not a big whoop. There are many places to cool off like Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, Lake Travis, and Lake Austin. The University of Texas has great sports (if you are into them) and great museums. Shopping is fine, but not awesome. Um...if you are single, it's the best city for singles. The Bobby Bones radio show is the best.

Oh, and last but not least Leslie. She (he) is a transgender, homeless man running around in women's clothes and lingerie. She is always running for mayor. She's really cool to talk to, too.

Shimmer

Austin is really liberal, especially compared to the rest of Texas. I love Austin. It's so central that you can find anything to do you want whether it's outdoorsy or athletic or artistic or whatever.
smiles.gif
It's close to New Braunfels (toobing down the Guadalupe) or close to Dallas (city/nightlife) or close to the coast or whatever.
smiles.gif

I enjoy Austin, though I haven't been in forever.

pale blue

Thanks guys, you've all been a great help! I think the only thing I knew about Austin before this was that they have great music festivals like Austin City Limits and SXSW lol

I do have one more question, is it big enough to have good/bad neighborhoods? I'll be looking to buy a condo/townhouse/small home and I'm not sure what section(s) to start looking in. Any suggestions?

Classic Beauty

There are some bad neighborhoods, but I cant really tell you which ones they are. Are looking into buying something downtown?

Professor Fate

rants....

1 - austin is full of hippy wannabes that think that they are all different,cool,and unique but,it's quite the opposite.

2 - there is a ton of live music here....sounds like a good thing,huh? negative.the music scene here is full of a bunch of low level shitty bands with a few decent bands here and there.this town is not the huge music town that people make it out to be...unless you are into that tired folk pop bullshit.

3 - worst drivers ever!

4 - it has the highest level of allergens than any other texas city.my family never had allergies until we moved here.

5 - there is nothing to do here. this must be why austin is a bigger alcohol market than houston,dallas,and san antonio.(all which have at least 2x the population)

6 - hearing about fucking UT sports every 5 minutes....i fucking HATE UT!

koolmnbv

I live in san antonio now and I lived in austin for a few years, I like them both but Austin is completely different from any other city in tx. It is a very NEW city in the sense that I don't find many ppl that have always lived there whole life and new stuff is always happening getting built etc. the "city" is growing outwards quite a bit, round rock is north of austin and it is almost considered Austin, Barton Creek and the arboretum areas are nice areas w/o living downtown.

Also ya gotta love the alamo drafthouse!
Downtown 6th street is fun lots of clubs and bars
The town is very liberal IMO w. lots of artsy things to do, Also while I lived there we had tons of good concerts. (not inc. in SxSW) Also Austin is pretty central so you can be to many other major Texas cities within a few hours.

All in All I loved Austin, it's not overly huge yet (it will be very soon) but it's not a small city by any means. It will be ALOT different from NJ (you have to pump your own gas LMAO) and its alot more open everything is kinda spread out throughout the cities and suburbs and theres not like a good side/bad side everything is everywhere.

Professor Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmnbv
it's not overly huge yet (it will be very soon) but it's not a small city by any means.

it's amzing how bad the traffic is here and like you said...it's not even a "big city". i believe it had the worst traffic in the nation last year.

koolmnbv

Yeah it was like #2 or #3 in the whole country for traffic, i think NYC and LA were the only cities higher than Austin...If they could ever finish the construction of the new highways/toll roads It would help!

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmnbv
Yeah it was like #2 or #3 in the whole country for traffic, i think NYC and LA were the only cities higher than Austin...If they could ever finish the construction of the new highways/toll roads It would help!

It was #1 in the nation for medium sized cities.

source

Georgiecat

You don't have to live in Austin if you don't like big cities. It is surrounded by smaller towns that are convenient and pretty. Property is actually affordable in Austin. I can't imagine paying as much as you posted for a one bedroom. You should be able to live in a beautiful home there. Professor Fate should try living in my town, Laredo. I wish we had the entertainment Austin affords.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyester
It's true...

And watch out for the big white vans.

OK, I'm curious....What are the big white vans???

Latest posts