Applying your makeup: Face first, then eyes... or vice versa?

ch33tah

Ok, so after spending some time while bored @ work, I managed to look through almost every tutorial and the one thing that slightly irked, or maybe confused me, was when i see girls who start off doing their eyes first, and then do their faces/foundation/powder after. I've always been under the impression that the canvas (face) should be prepared first, and then the eyes done after. It only makes sense.
hmm.gif

so lets do a tally to make sure i'm not completely mad. ;]

1. Foundation/powder/blush first
2. Eyes/brows first

give reasoning to your choice as well please!

edit: i totally just realized that this may not be the correct forum to post... so if it needs to be moved, then go ahead!

Gblue

i know some people like to do eyes first because if you make a mistake then it's easier to take just eye makeup off and start again than it is to take your whole 'face' off and start again.
i do face first then eyes personally. i need my 'base' there first though.

ledonatella

I know some MA's do eyes first, some do face first (like me), I think it's all in what you are comfy doing.

Randy Rose

I do face first . . . specifically -

Foundation
Darker shade of foundation for conturing
Blot Powder Highlighting
Blush
Eyes
Lips

Krasevayadancer

Eyes first so that you don't have to deal with cleaning off the residue of eye powders and worrying about losing your concealer

Janice

Eyes first. My reasoning is (for myself) it's easier to clean up fall out, and be confident in the eye looking nice and neat. Somehow I -always- manage to get a smudge of mascara or brow gel on my skin ruining that little spot of foundation and powder if I do my face first. ^_^ (ya, just a little anal)

lara

Face first. it gives a seamless finish to the base, rather than having a subtle but noticable demarcation line where the two applications meet.
smiles.gif

lipshock

Face first, definitely, for me. I tried doing my eyes first one day and I just didn't like the finished look. Wasn't as clean and seamless as I would've liked.

I cannot get my concealor/foundation/ powder products into the little nooks around my eyes well enough if there is already eyeshadow/eyeliner/mascara there. I'm too scared to smudging/ruining it.

My key thing when working with messy eyeshadows and pigments is always, always have a nice heavy lashing of powder underneath my eyes that I can brush away with a big brush that has a little bit of my face powder on it so that it blends into that area where the loose powder was to catch fallout.

Shawna

I always do face first because once I have the bare canvas to work with, I can envision what I want to do. Also, I really find that if I do my eyes first, I tend to really overdo them. I don't have that problem if I have foundation and concealor on first. As for the fallout, I just use my synthetic fan brush to remove any residue. It is soft enough so it just flicks the fallout away rather than blending it in.

MACATTAK

I always do my face first....if I have a little fallout from my eyes I just wipe it with my powder, not a big deal. There is no specific reason I do this, it's what I've always done & what I am comfortable with. Everyone has their own routine.....

NaturalSister19

Face first.

I do the eye product fall-out insurance step.

That excessively applied layer of loose powder under eye, across nose & top of cheek. Any mistake or fall-out is whicked away with a fan brush.

Beauty Mark

Face. That's how I was taught because of the blending issue with your eye makeup. I think it makes sense, because it's like putting on underwear then your pants. You don't do the opposite.

ARmakeupjunkie

For years I did the face first. Now, I do my eyes first. That is what takes up most of my time when doing my makeup. My face is simple. Most of the time it's just powder and one shade of blush. I hardly ever wear foundation or concealer. I don't contour or highlight. To me, it makes more sense to do my eyes first.
smiles.gif

Latest posts