Bad news about Stila...

lovejam

Apparently, Estee Lauder is dumping Stila, because they had some big financial losses this last quarter. No other company has stepped up to buy the line, so it is being considered a "discontinued" brand.
ssad.gif

BTW, I read this news in an e-mail from Paula Begoun's beauty update thing.

This is so sad, I love Stila!! I guess I should hurry up and buy whatever products of theirs I've always wanted to try, because it looks like I won't get another chance.

Summer

They have been saying that like for forever. I hear Paula is out of date with the info the give.

lovejam

That is such a relief, Chelsea! Especially seeing that they're the ones who also own UD. Here's hoping we'll see cool new products from Stila.
greengrin.gif

midnightlouise

Dang, you guys had me scared there for a minute...*crosses fingers*
So I guess that means no more Stila at the CCO. Or will they still have some stuff from when EL owned them? Hmmm....

Jude

I guess that is why my CCO got rid of all the Stila stuff. Which totally sucks, by the way.

MargaretD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
Noooooo, I love their lipglaze dammit. I hope you are right Chelsea.

Chelsea is RIGHT, Stila is NOT going out of business. All the Stila employess I know have confirmed EL is selling Stila to either the group that owns sephora or BBW. A buyer has not been confirmed yet but the line is not being discontinued. It sells well. EL just doesn't give a crap about it and hasn't bothered to promote it the way it does their other brands.

shriekingviolet

Is LVHM the one responsible for the de-punking of UD? If so, that would make me worry a bit about stila. Not because I think it can get any girlier of a brand, but UD's offerings have changed for the worst (IMO anyway) in their product offerings since they started moving away from their edginess in the 90s and I'd be nervous about another company trying to reshape Stila in some way too.

Also, I wonder if this means Gloss.com is going to stop selling them?

mspixieears

Stila's not my fave brand, but that would be a great shame, them being dumped. Where did you hear about LVHM picking them up, Chelsea?

UD's 'de-punking' (great term btw) is really sad...bit like a spayed pup...I don't know what the heck they were thinking discontinuing their lippies etc. They had such variety. Stila in the meantime...their collections seem so...samey. They must've released a different version of their Plum or Auburn etc. palette...20 times or so! It was good that they revamped their tube lip shines and made bigger lipglazes though.

koolkatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriekingviolet
Is LVHM the one responsible for the de-punking of UD?

No. LVMH doesn't own UD. For those that are interested, here are a list of LVMH companies:
http://www.lvmh.com/
Click on "Group" --> "Companies & Brands" --> "Perfume & cosmetics"

BTW - if any of you are interested in the animal testing policies of LVMH, feel free to send me a msg here or on MUA (same name on MUA).

moonrevel

LVMH did own Urban Decay for a while and is responsible for its depunking (great word...and I totally agree). It was sold to someone else a couple of years ago, though. I don't know what they thought/think they're accomplishing by destroying the image of what made UD so popular in the first place (though the new spring line is a step in the right direction of restoring it to its former glory). I really hope a buy-out of Stila doesn't do the same thing, though I'm sure it will change somewhat no matter.

Cruella

As of yesterday, the Estee Lauder Company said that they are in negotiations to sell Stila and hope to have the sale complete by the end of the fiscal year. This is according to a second quarter earnings conference call.

xiahe

weeping.gif
oh noes! their lipglaze is awesome stuff....and i've always wanted to try their kajal eyeliner. i better stock up...

sindais

Stila has been sold back to the Stila Corp, it will be pulled out from most department stores and it will only be available in one pro store, sephora and bergof.

Stila's empolyees were not part of the deal and EL has laid off more than 200 people in one day. (only about 20% still have their former position).

mspixieears

Oh man, sucks about all those people losing their jobs. I never thought of Stila as a brand that would do badly, it seems so popular, especially in Asia.

lovejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindais
Stila has been sold back to the Stila Corp, it will be pulled out from most department stores and it will only be available in one pro store, sephora and bergof.

Stila's empolyees were not part of the deal and EL has laid off more than 200 people in one day. (only about 20% still have their former position).

So, Sephora will still stock it... Well, that's something, at least.

But, laying off all those people? Eesh. EL sucks for doing that, I don't care if it was best for business or whatever. They suck for dropping Stila, and they suck for laying off those people.
nonono.gif

Latest posts