Bad news about Stila...

The layoffs do suck. I really feel sorry for anyone who lost their job.

As far as the brand goes, breaking with Estee may be a good thing. Strange timing, since the Stila summer collection looks so great.

hickle

I think the Stila brand is kind of in a weird place. They have some of the best foundations in the world in their line, at a very reasonable price, but a lot of the packaging is very immature and childish, namely the little cartoon characters that they put on their packaging, and the little flowers and things. I started using Stila when I was 15, and at the time, cartoon faces on my compact were great, but now I'm 22, and it's a little embarassing. I mean, I'm not embarassed by the product, because it's a great product, but I am embarassed by the packaging. I think it's definitely time for them to overhaul their brand image. But, I agree that it definitely isn't going to be discontinued. It's just too much of a cash cow.

celesphine

I think that EL has been focusing on the big money. Stila is a cult brand overseas, if not in America. The products are high quality, and the feminine and girly packaging set it apart from more conservative branding.
I think the fun/girly packaging is quite nice.

katisha

One of the reasons why I am yet to splurge on Dior, Chanel, etc. is that their packaging can look rather ...old. Stila was such a fresh concept and I love the packaging.

There's nothing over-the-top about the 4, 6 and 8 pan palettes, for example, they look as 'mature' as other palettes and they hold shadows of excellent quality.

I am never embarrassed of the packaging of my Stila items. If others perceive them as too girly, then they'd probably think the same of my clothes, makeup, accessories, etc.
cutey.gif

sweetmelissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by katisha
I am never embarrassed of the packaging of my Stila items. If others perceive them as too girly, then they'd probably think the same of my clothes, makeup, accessories, etc.
cutey.gif

I feel exactly the same way! I love the cute and different look of Stila's packaging-it's one of the first things that drew me to try this brand and I found the quality of most things to be excellent (with a few exceptions of course).

krazysexxykool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickle
I think the Stila brand is kind of in a weird place. They have some of the best foundations in the world in their line, at a very reasonable price, but a lot of the packaging is very immature and childish, namely the little cartoon characters that they put on their packaging, and the little flowers and things. I started using Stila when I was 15, and at the time, cartoon faces on my compact were great, but now I'm 22, and it's a little embarassing. I mean, I'm not embarassed by the product, because it's a great product, but I am embarassed by the packaging. I think it's definitely time for them to overhaul their brand image. But, I agree that it definitely isn't going to be discontinued. It's just too much of a cash cow.

See, it's different strokes for different folks. I'm the total opposite, I love the packaging, 34 years young and I'll always be girly girly, I actually miss the girls on the packaging and hate the new bland packaging they are moving towards that will look like every other brand, sigh.

I used to be Stila fans, not anymore. I'm not put off by the packaging (in fact, I found it quite charming & cute), nor the quality (which I think is pretty good, albeit the quickly-turning-rancid lipsticks). But it's the creative part that needs revamping. How many peaches, bronzes, taupes theme can you recycle each year? Peach Daquiry, Perfectly Peach Fall, Bamboo Blossom peach, and Italian Ice Due, all are practically the same gradation of Peach, not to mention the many variations of Bronzes..

I'm sad to see the line go down this way. I think Stila has a lot of potential and faithful followers. It's just perhaps been badly managed.

DaizyDeath

I was just at sephora yesterday and they were doing a HUGE promotion for stila they had about 10 makeup artists from stila there and they had all these ballons and all the products all over the place and they were offering free makeovers.

So i guess thats a good sign

but that really sucks about them laying off all those people
ssad.gif

sweetmelissa

Quote:
But it's the creative part that needs revamping. How many peaches, bronzes, taupes theme can you recycle each year?

Lets not forget the Plums! I completely wholeheartedly agree with you!

Beauty Mark

Stila is my favorite line (for the lipsticks, mostly), but it definitely needs some ravamping. I'm not sure how, though. I think the color issue is part of the Stila image of being girly. If I want more interesting colors, I go to Urban Decay or MAC.

I think they do listen to the customers eventually. The lipsticks used to come in these cardboard containers, which I think were environmentally better but fell apart so easily.

themandy

I went to a Stila event at a Sephora a few weeks ago also. They had a couple artists there and the makeovers were free!

LaStupenda

I'm SO glad Stila wasn't discontinued. I've been using their makeup for years! I'm a lipglass whore, so I of course think their lipglosses are the best thing since sliced bread, and I LOVE their foundations, eyeshadows and concealars. Great overall brand. The only downside is that now I can't get it at the CCO near me
ssad.gif

Kgal

So has Stila officially been bought now?

I'm lucky - for some reason, a little specialty cosmetics boutique near me actually kept a counter!