Beauty/cosmetics shopping in Paris?

ThePowderPuff

Thanks Amber and Anita. That's absolutely perfect! Thank you so much. I will just go the MAC Pro store and to Sephora on Champs Elysee. It seems I can everything there. And the I can get to the L'artisan Parfumeur and Annick Goutal shops as well. Lovely! Sounds like a great plan.

If I can get some more hours to shop is there any good department stores? Also for other things than beauty?

And can anyone reccommen where to go for handbags, fashion etc.?

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katjamo
Thanks Amber and Anita. That's absolutely perfect! Thank you so much. I will just go the MAC Pro store and to Sephora on Champs Elysee. It seems I can everything there. And the I can get to the L'artisan Parfumeur and Annick Goutal shops as well. Lovely! Sounds like a great plan.

If I can get some more hours to shop is there any good department stores? Also for other things than beauty?

And can anyone reccommen where to go for handbags, fashion etc.?

You're welcome!

I wrote a long response with recommendations but my laptop crashed and I lost everything.
thmbdn.gif

Long story short... I prefer Printemps to Galeries Lafayette. It also has a very nice restaurant on the top floor. But they're next to each other so you can always pop into GL if you fancy a quick look.

For clothes and handbags, I'd recommend Le Marais. It's a nice area in Paris and will be easy for you to get to (take line 1 from any metro station on the Champs Elysées to either Hotel de Ville or Saint Paul). There's a more eclectic range of independent boutiques there, plus franchises of high-end lines. I'm from London so I don't find it eclectic enough, but it's still a nice change.

TOP TIP: There's an outlet shop on rue des Francs-Bourgeois called Piscine where you can find great deals on high-end and deisgner Italian clothes and accessories. My friend bought a Roberto Cavalli leather jacket there for 120 Euros! If you get a lot of stuff it's worth asking the sales assistants if they'll give you an extra discount. The ladies are really sweet, and if you ask nicely and with a sense of humour they might just do you a deal. But if they're running a special promotion on that day (e.g. extra 60% off) they won't reduce the prices any further, which is understandable.

More info on Le Marais here - www.parismarais.com/

I'm so excited for you about your trip! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

ThePowderPuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber_j
You're welcome!

I wrote a long response with recommendations but my laptop crashed and I lost everything.
thmbdn.gif

Long story short... I prefer Printemps to Galeries Lafayette. It also has a very nice restaurant on the top floor. But they're next to each other so you can always pop into GL if you fancy a quick look.

For clothes and handbags, I'd recommend Le Marais. It's a nice area in Paris and will be easy for you to get to (take line 1 from any metro station on the Champs Elysées to either Hotel de Ville or Saint Paul). There's a more eclectic range of independent boutiques there, plus franchises of high-end lines. I'm from London so I don't find it eclectic enough, but it's still a nice change.

TOP TIP: There's an outlet shop on rue des Francs-Bourgeois called Piscine where you can find great deals on high-end and deisgner Italian clothes and accessories. My friend bought a Roberto Cavalli leather jacket there for 120 Euros! If you get a lot of stuff it's worth asking the sales assistants if they'll give you an extra discount. The ladies are really sweet, and if you ask nicely and with a sense of humour they might just do you a deal. But if they're running a special promotion on that day (e.g. extra 60% off) they won't reduce the prices any further, which is understandable.

More info on Le Marais here - www.parismarais.com/

Thank you so much, that's so helpfull.

Do you know anything about hotels in Paris? Which area would be good place for good but not too expensive hotels? Or can you maybe reccommend any hotels? We will be travelling with my son who is 18 months.

anita22

Quote:

Do you know anything about hotels in Paris? Which area would be good place for good but not too expensive hotels? Or can you maybe reccommend any hotels? We will be travelling with my son who is 18 months.

No worries. I haven't spent all that much time in Paris to be honest (though when I have, you can bet that makeup shopping was on the priority list, LOL). In the past when I've stayed there it's been well outside the centre - it's better value for money, and Paris has a great Metro system as long as you're near a Metro station then it's not very difficult to get around. I'm not sure how well that strategy would work in terms of having a young child with you though, as the subways do get quite crowded during the peak times.

This time I'm going on business so will be staying at the Mercure Hotel on Rue de Richelieu. No idea what it's like, but it seems very well located. I'll definitely be popping by Sephora so if there's anything you want me to check out for you when I'm there feel free to PM me :)

ThePowderPuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita22
No worries. I haven't spent all that much time in Paris to be honest (though when I have, you can bet that makeup shopping was on the priority list, LOL). In the past when I've stayed there it's been well outside the centre - it's better value for money, and Paris has a great Metro system as long as you're near a Metro station then it's not very difficult to get around. I'm not sure how well that strategy would work in terms of having a young child with you though, as the subways do get quite crowded during the peak times.

This time I'm going on business so will be staying at the Mercure Hotel on Rue de Richelieu. No idea what it's like, but it seems very well located. I'll definitely be popping by Sephora so if there's anything you want me to check out for you when I'm there feel free to PM me :)

Great! Thanks :)

s_lost

Quote:

I go frequently to Paris and I recommend the Best Western Le Saint Maurice / Porte de Bercy. You need to get the subway for everything, is a little bit far, but you will not find better price, specially for those rooms (parisian hotels are usually very old).

One central option is the Hotel Prince Albert Louvre. You can easily walk to Louvre and the area has good stores.

Hope that helps
smiles.gif

darklocke

Another question on shopping in Paris, a friend of mine said she had been to a CCO near EuroDisney some time ago. Can you still find CCOs in Paris? If so, can anyone please tell me where?
smiles.gif

amber_j

So I finally made it to City Pharma on the corner of rue Bonaparte and rue du Four. This is the infamous Parisian pharmacy that is huge, seems to stock all the main French beauty brands and has discounted prices. Apparently all the makeup artists and fashionistas flock there during Fashion Week. The place was packed when I got there and it probably took us 3 times as long to shop than it would have otherwise. I was chuffed to find some Embryolisse products to try out and also stocked up on some Decleor. I definitely want to go back when it's quieter so I can see all the different brands and get some advice re. which ones might be more suitable for my skin.

Dominique33

Hi,

I am from Bordeaux but so far I know, you have :

- Bobbi Brown, 4th arrondissement, rue des Francs-Bourgeois.
- Korres, 5th arrondissement, rue des Ecoles
- Lancôme, 8th arrondissement, 29 Fbg St Honoré
- Nuxe ( spa ), I can't remember where it is, but Nuxe products are good.
- Frédéric Malle ( luxury fragrances ), I can't remember where, so sorry.

And many, many more !

th_thstars.gif

Dominique33

Hi again,

Sorry, I completely forgot : you have a Make Up For Ever store in the 4th arrondissement, just the same street as Bobbi Brown store, rue des Francs-Bourgeois.
Otherwise, you have Colette, we called this boutique " culte ", located rue St Honoré, 1st arrondissement, I guess there are beauty products and other pretty things there.

Hello, Hello, i'm living in the suburb of paris .
You can find professionnal makeup in the makeup for ever shop, rue de la boétie.
In paris, you can find 2 kiko shop, an italian brand of makeup .kiko made a lot of mac dupes like mineralizes, pigments (a dupe of teal) and mixing medium. The shop are near gare st lazare or in forum des halles.
You can find a very goob brand of cosmetics "L'occitane", you have a lot of shop in paris (rue de rivoli, gare de lyon, etc...)

Dominique33

Hi again,

I forgot the Printemps Haussman, you have many brands there in one place. If you don't want to walk through Paris.

Liyana Aris

Thanks so much for the top tip, amber_j!
I'm here in Paris for a few months, so i will definitely find a time to make a trip to Piscine. My husband got excited by the name - "Life of Pi" and all that. At least he's intrigued enough to accompany me there!

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the Sephora outlets in Paris give out samples? I've only shopped at Sephora in Malaysia, where i'm from. Actually, do Sephora outlets around the world give out foundation samples? Because that's what i'm really after. NARS Sheer Glow, to be exact. And Sephora in Malaysia doesn't carry NARS. Sadly.

Latest posts