Best base coats and top coats

blondegirl

I thought i'd start a thread on the best base and top coats in polish-your opinion.
i am forever searching for ways and products to help my polish stay on longer and stop chipping.
What are your favourite base and top coats??

ms. kendra

My faves

Top: Seche Vite Fast Dry
Diamond Dry Top Coat

Base: Seche Vite Ridge Filler
Orly Bonder

blondegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms. kendra
My faves

Diamond Dry Top Coat

Orly Bonder

thanks for the recommendation.
how long does your polish last until it starts chipping?
Do you have any other tips on how to prevent chipping??

blondegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
Top coat - CND Super Shiny. Lasted on my pedi for 17 days!

wow thats great!!
Have you tried it on your fingers??

darkorchid

Base and top coat: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails.

I generally have really strong nails, but lately from cold they have been going brittle and chipping. With this stuff on though, they really are hard as nails! Extends the life of my polish too. The major problem I have is tip wear cos I scratch alot hehe.

AngellFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms. kendra
My faves

Diamond Dry Top Coat

Orly Bonder

I love Seche Vite too, I paid about $9 for it at Target. My nails last for 7 days without chipping, and I do a lot w/my hands. I also like True Blu Spa (Bath and Body Works), but I'm not sure if they still carry it.

OneDollarBuddha

Seche vite. I can go easily go over a week without any chipping.. but be careful how much you use because too thick of a coat causes your color to pull in from the edges of your nails.

I haven't found a base coat I totally love. I am using OPI's natural nail base coat. It's pretty good, but I am still on the hunt.

Ggxox

I love the all-in-one OPI one because, well it's a base coat, top coat and strengthner. Total winner
smiles.gif

xoxo

gildedangel

My favorite basecoat is OPI Nail Envy since I have really brittle nails, and my favorite topcoat is Sally Hansen Hard As Nails.

blondegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngellFace
I love Seche Vite too, I paid about $9 for it at Target. My nails last for 7 days without chipping, and I do a lot w/my hands. I also like True Blu Spa (Bath and Body Works), but I'm not sure if they still carry it.

7 days without chipping is great.
What sort of base coat are you using?? and what brand of colour polish are you using?

blondegirl

girls i have heard that if you apply a top coat each day to your mani that it will help it to last. But i have also heard that if you have too many coats on your mani that it can cause it to peel. Any ideas on this??

user79

Nailtek Foundation II basecoat
Seche Vite topcoat

My holy grails - and I've tried loads of diff stuff.

..kels*

Base coat:
OPI Nail Envy

Top coat:
Seche Vite

My polish always lasts a week with those 2 products.
thmbup.gif

Ebbychina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Nailtek Foundation II basecoat
Seche Vite topcoat

My holy grails - and I've tried loads of diff stuff.

I also use Nailtek Foundation II basecoat. For my top coat I use Nail Tek II Intensive Therapy. They are the best, and they improve the strength and length of your nails!!

anita22

What's the difference between the various strengths of Nailtek foundations?? I'm really interested in trying them as lately my nails have gone from being fine to serious peeling... is there any harm in going with the stronger versions like III or Xtra?
TIA!

InspiredBlue

I use OPI's Quick Dry for my top coat and my base is currently Essie Millionails. Most of the time it starts to bother me that the colors has worn off on the outer edge of my nails after 5-7 days, which is when I fix my nails again, and I rarely see chips before that.

The "apply a new layer of top coat every day"-thing doesn't work for me. If I apply anything new after my nails have dried completely (with base, color and top) it all just peels off in big chunks.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita22
What's the difference between the various strengths of Nailtek foundations?? I'm really interested in trying them as lately my nails have gone from being fine to serious peeling... is there any harm in going with the stronger versions like III or Xtra?
TIA!

Nail Tek Product Line

On the Nailtek website it describes the different uses of the 3 diff foundations. The formula is made for different nail problems, like dry, brittle, breakage, chipping, peeling, etc. I think the II is for peeling.

I used to get really bad peeling when I used OPI Nail Envy and it made my nails thin because I had to buff them smooth, but since I started using Foundation II, my nails don't peel at all anymore! I have noticed a huge difference, I never would have believed it before. I def recommend this product line. The foundation formula makes your nails kind of "grabby", meaning the polish will stick on better. Hard to describe, but totally different than Nail Envy, which just feels like a clear, smooth gloss.

I also think using a glass nail file makes a big difference.

blondegirl

i just purchased the nail tek foundation 2 base coat!
i am waiting for it to arrive from the US (i am in sydney)