Best base coats and top coats

blondegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyPsycho
My HGs are
Base coat- NailTek foundation II
Top coat- Poshe. (It's so much better than Seche IMO.)

do you find the nail tek foundation helps to stop your polish from chipping?

BeautyPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondegirl
do you find the nail tek foundation helps to stop your polish from chipping?

Well, I usually change my polish every or every other night, but if I wear it longer I don't have any chipping. It also helped with peeling and ridges
smiles.gif

blondegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyPsycho
Well, I usually change my polish every or every other night, but if I wear it longer I don't have any chipping. It also helped with peeling and ridges
smiles.gif

Oh great.
I am interested to know- if using the nail tel foundation is it also necessary to use your usual base coat such as the creative sticky base coat or the orly bonder?

Ebbychina

I totally agree. I started using the system religously after removing acrylic nails and it did WONDERS with the ridges the nails left behind. It also strengthened them and now my nails have grown so much that I don't even need acrylic nails!

I usually order them from Amazon for around $7.00 + shipping (Buy one, get one free)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Nail Tek Product Line

On the Nailtek website it describes the different uses of the 3 diff foundations. The formula is made for different nail problems, like dry, brittle, breakage, chipping, peeling, etc. I think the II is for peeling.

I used to get really bad peeling when I used OPI Nail Envy and it made my nails thin because I had to buff them smooth, but since I started using Foundation II, my nails don't peel at all anymore! I have noticed a huge difference, I never would have believed it before. I def recommend this product line. The foundation formula makes your nails kind of "grabby", meaning the polish will stick on better. Hard to describe, but totally different than Nail Envy, which just feels like a clear, smooth gloss.

I also think using a glass nail file makes a big difference.

Ebbychina

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita22
What's the difference between the various strengths of Nailtek foundations?? I'm really interested in trying them as lately my nails have gone from being fine to serious peeling... is there any harm in going with the stronger versions like III or Xtra?
TIA!

Hi Anita. Honestly I don't think using versions III or Xtra would do any damage, but it is always best to use the product which specifically addresses your needs. Foundation and Instensive Therapy II are ideal for peeling nails, but it may not hurt to try the other versions if you are also experiencing other problems, such as breakage or difficulty growing...

I hope you like the products as much as I do

Ebbychina

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondegirl
Oh great.
I am interested to know- if using the nail tel foundation is it also necessary to use your usual base coat such as the creative sticky base coat or the orly bonder?

The nail tek foundation is actually used as a base coat, so it is not necessary to use your usual base coat (in my opinion), because when you factor in your 1-2 coats of polish as well as the top coat, things can get kind of thick and may take a bit longer to dry or may even smudge on you.

blondegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbychina
The nail tek foundation is actually used as a base coat, so it is not necessary to use your usual base coat (in my opinion), because when you factor in your 1-2 coats of polish as well as the top coat, things can get kind of thick and may take a bit longer to dry or may even smudge on you.

Thanks for that info. I'll try out the base coat on it's own and see how I go. I am so desperate to find a solution to the chipping issue!!

InspiredBlue

I've found that when I buff my nails a little, so the surface is nice and even, my polish stays better. And of course make sure your nails are clean from any oily substances before you start painting them.

blondegirl

girls a combination i am loving right now is
zoya anchor base coat
zoya polish
seche vite top coat

looking good after 2 days now.

zosojacks

At this point in time:

Base coat: Seche Clear or Poshe'
Top coat: Seche Vite or Poshe'

I actually prefer Poshe' because it seems to have less "tip pull" than Seche Vite but the only reason it's not my #1 is it's not readily available where I live. I found a Poshe' sampler pack at my local Winners (Canadian equivalent of Kohls or TJ Maxx) but I can't find a store that sells it around here. (I don't purchase online.) I'm afraid to use my bottles up, haha!

If you're on a budget or can't find Seche Vite, I used to use Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri top coat for years. Dries very fast and shiny.

Meisje

For a base coat, I just started using OPI's ChipSkip and I saw a huge difference when I used it with OPI Sand in my Suit (the only OPI shade I currently own). It held the polish so much longer than without.

I also tried it with cheapo NYC black polish (with a top coat) and it held for three days, but it was three days of stuff that's really hard on the hands. And it only chipped on my dominant hand pointer and nondominant thumb.

The top coat I use is Sally Hansen Mega Shine, which dries right away. I like it, but I think I need to get into the habit of reapplying it every couple of days to preserve the manicure.

Mirella

After long time of searching for the best products for my nails I am finally happy with Nailtek II Intensive Therapy as a base coat for my peeling nails and with Poshe top coat.
Also when I pulled off gel from my nails they were weak and needed a strength the Nailtek XTRA helped a lot.

DirtyHarriet

I am loving the nailtek xtra/seche vite combo. It has been working well for me with essie, opi, misa and orly. I can't imagine my life without seche vite anymore! I have also used nailtek refresh drops with my seche vite with no problems - it lasts just as long and it dries just as fast.

Putting orly bonder on over the nailtek base made my nails peel like crazy. I don't think orly bonder work well with the nailtek at all. My nail polish stays on at least 4 days looking flawless (once I see one miniscule chip it's all over!) with just the nailtek foundation/polish/seche vite combo!

kelyoung

OPI Chip Skip > OPI Natural Nail Base Coat > 2 coats of OPI nail polish > RapiDry Top Coat

Works well for me.

LMD84

i have just got essie's ridge filling base caor which i am quite happy with! drys quickly and does seem to smooth out my nails a little more. as for a top coat is was using china glaze's fast drying one but the smell was terrible! and i felt it pulled the polish quite a bit. so i have just got seche vite top coat - fast drying one and it's wicked!
smiles.gif

lilibat

What I need is a top coat that really does retain the sharp, clear look of wet to go over my homemade glitter polish. All the ones I have tried just end up looking a bit dull after they dry.

Baudelaire

What I need is a top coat that really does retain the sharp, clear look of wet to go over my homemade glitter polish. All the ones I have tried just end up looking a bit dull after they dry.
nail's inc Kensington Caviar Top Coat is a fantastic one. It's the only one I've been using since Sephora started selling it. It actually does dry in a snap, but keeps the gorgeous, clear 'wet' look for days.

drchick890

top coat: seche vite top coat... AMAZING
NYC top coat..SURPRISINGLY AWESOME

base coat: seche vite ridge filler...great for those peeling nails
OPI Nail Envy.. great for strengthening and helping your nails grow

:)