blackheads

misslexa

Hi all..

I seem to have quite a few blackheads on my nose, chin and a bit on my cheeks....

Any suggestions on getting rid of them (preferably less expensive, but not comprimising quality!... I know its a lot to ask!
oh.gif
ops: )

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!! :!:

Janice

Lexa, blackheads have to be extracted
ssad.gif
. Unlike whiteheads they will not run their course and go away.

I would suggest an extraction tool and a good facial steaming beforehand. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself head over to a spa and have a facial, the esthitician <sp?> will perform the extraction for you.

There are products you can use to help prevent them, but they intially have to be extracted.

I use Paulas Choice 2% BHA lotion to help with my problem skin (blackheads and blemish prone).

www.paulaschoice.com

martygreene

Quote:
the esthitician <sp?>

esthetician or æsthetician, both are correct.

don't mind me, just living up to my epithets

jamiemeng

I have blackheads on my nose. I want to get rid of them so that i can get my nose pierced. So I have to go to a esthetician or aesthetician to get it done. How much does it cost. Thx

jasper17

I got mine taken care of as part of a facial at a spa - hurt like crazy but definitely worth it. The whole treatment was $85 - not sure what just the extractions might run.

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemeng
I have blackheads on my nose. I want to get rid of them so that i can get my nose pierced. So I have to go to a esthetician or aesthetician to get it done. How much does it cost. Thx

To my knowledge, you shouldn't need to have extractions done in order to get your nose pierced.

mspixieears

I've been using Dermalogica daily microfoliant for 2 months, not 'daily' but 2-3 times a week and this seems to have lessened blackheads in the areas they occur, which are pretty much the same as misslexa's. Especially on the nose. hth!

PnkCosmo

Try the CityFace Skin Refinisher!! It's a warming scrub, so that helps with blackheads.

I reviewed it a little in a topic on this forum.

mspixieears

How would one go about extracting them by oneself? Sounds challenging! I mean, the ones I have are so small, I wouldn't know how to extract them myself.

Chelsea

Gently gently squeeze them. Or buy an extraction tool. And try biotherm biopur mask, it sucks blackheads out like no tommorow.

fiejenn1

If you are going to extract at home be VERY careful. You can cause dilated cappilaries.

Steam your face really good.
Either use qtips with astringent on them or wrap kleenex around ur index fingers and put astringent on those too.
You're gonna roll your skin gently, don't press.
If it doesn't come out easily, dont keep trying.
Cleanse your face real good afterwards or you will cause breakouts.

If you have very stubborn ones, your best bet would be to go to an Esthetician. It can cost anywhere between $50.00 and $100.00 for a facial depending on where you go. Many places will not do just extractions alone. Make sure you ask for a Deep Cleansing Facial with extractions.

And it should not hurt, if it does...they are not doing it properly!

Hope this helps, lmk if you have any other questions!
Jenn

lemurian

Ack.. extractions can be really bad if you have sensitive/fragile skin. The procedure could result in broken capillaries that'll look worse than the clogged pores. Before you drop a ton of money, try steaming/exfoliating/biore pore strips, followed by a skin care regime that involves salicylic acid, which helps keep sebum from building up in your pores, and retinol, which will help tone your pores.

Some people are just genetically pre-disposed to having large pores and oily skin. There's no way to get rid of blackheads permanently, so I personally think money spent on professional extractions is a big waste. However, if you've got money to burn and they work for you, then I say go for it! To each her own
smiles.gif

mspixieears

Thanks for the tips, ladies. I've noticed mine have been disappearing, so perhaps I shouldn't try to extract them myself. Paula's Choice 8% AHA solution works when they get plentiful, but it is a bit harsh for my skin. Steaming sounds like a good idea though.

mspixieears

Um, jamiemeng, several people have suggested some great things up above.

I have also heard that Biore nose strips are great for extracting them - it is like a waxing strip, except of course it does not pull out hairs, but blackheads. You pull off the adhesive strip, like a sticker, wet gently and put on part of skin with blackheads. Wait as directed (cannot remember the timeframe, in minutes) then quickly rip off the strip from your skin.

It hurt like hell, and didn't work for me, so that is why I wouldn't try it again.

But to sum up what people said above:

removing blackheads - exfoliate, with facial scrub or AHA solution. Go to a beautician and have them professionally attended to. Use skincare products that minimise the build-up of natural oils in areas prone to blackheads. Chelsea recommended a mask that pulls them out.

Blackheads aren't dirt, but the oxidizing of trapped oils in your skin (oxidise meaning it changes colour when exposed to air).

leenybeeny

I use a BHA solution and it seems to dissolve the ones that are already there and prevent new ones from coming. I have only extracted really big ones and have done that myself.