blackheads

devilzwind

getting a facial, biore pore strips, queen helene mint julep masque, aspirin mask, a BHA product (e.g. Paula's Choice)

matthea

I started using the neutrogena advanced peel and it totally got rid of about 50% of my blackheads. I didn't even expect that as a result! It also softens the skin and got rid os old acne scars and fine lines - woohoo!

Neophyte

Here is a great natural remedy for blackheads!

Chamomile Tea

Use this chamomile steam treatment to clean pores and get rid of blackheads.

Steep 3 teabags in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Close your eyes and hold your face close to the bowl. Hold a towel over your head so the steam will go right into you face, not into the air. Follow up by cleansing in a circular motion with a coarse washcloth. Rinse and moisturize.

melony

I am african american and have very combination acne prone skin. the pill did not help me. I got a facial sauna/steamer from big lots(used to be pic n save in california) for $10.00 I have also seen them at walgreens. I first wash my face in cetaphil or your regular cleanser. Then I steam for the alotted time--my machine goes up to 15 mins. I then used biore pore strips(or the knock off drug store brand no real difference), since your pores are open the blackheads slide right out. I then scrub with st. ive's apricot scrub-but this step is optional--it helps get rid of the clogged pores on my chin. I then go back to the machine and use the cold option and once that is done-go over my face with a cotton ball and toner. Nice clean smooth skin--I do this about once a month and my breakouts have really calmed down.

nny999o

really bad blackheads

I dont know why, but ever since it started getting cold, i have developed horrible amounts of blackheads! it's bad! all over my chin and really close to my lips. I dont know how to get rid of them before they turn into pimples....please help me!!!

MadchenRogue

Re: really bad blackheads

This is more of a home remedy and cost effective --but it will help.

You Need:

Sea Salt
A ceramic bowl ( like those mom uses for salads)
2-4 wash towels
a tea kettle or a medium sized pot filled with water.
wire extractor
noxema

Directions-

Either with a kettle or a medium pot boil water. When water reaches boiling point add about 2 table spoons of sea salt. Stir well. In a comfortable setting ( like your bathroom)
place the ceramic bowl in the basin, and pour the hot water in (becareful!). What you then do is place 2 of the wash towels in. Let the water cool enough for you to handle the towel without you burning, but at the same time its hot enough your skin can endure it.
Get the towel, squeeze off the excess water place over your face, then get a DRY towel on top of it ( its kinda like steaming your face but better). The moment you feel the wet towel is cooling off, replace it with the other wash towel thats int he ceramic bowl. You keep doing this for a good 10-15 minutes til you pores are completely open. When the pores are open, you carefully remove the blackheads with a wire extractor, you can get these at walmart or a beauty supply (Wire Extractor - Skin Care Supplies) If you dont have one handy, then use your finger nails wrapped with toilet paper. Your blackheads will come out easily. After you are done, wash your face with noxema or generic equivalent. This technique wont produce scaring.

Good Luck !

athena123

There are different schools of thought about using hot steam to open up pores - some who think that once pores open, they won't contract back to normal size, and others who think that clogged pores will cause them to be enlarged, not hot water.

I'm not quite sure what I think - I do know that with age, my pores have become enlarged and clog more easily so I tend to avoid extreme temperatures.

If your blackheads arrived with the cold weather, is it because you're dehydrated or started using a different moisturizer? A gentle, effective means of removing blackheads is to massage jojoba oil, alternating with warm water. After about 10-15 minutes of massage, the sebums plugs will start to melt and the plugs will start popping out on their own. Sounds gross, I know, but less harmful than using a wire extraction device IMHO. Be patient, you may need to repeat this daily until they've disappeared, then go to once a week to keep the blackheads away for good.

If you notice irritation with jojoba oil [some do], then you can try hazelnut or grapeseed oils instead. They're both astringent and very unlikely to clog pores or cause any irritation.

Good luck,

Dreamergirl3

salicylic acid or mandelic acid (another exfoliator)is the best (imo) for treating blackheads. glycolic acid is good, too.

I have non-inflamed acne (clogged pores such as blackheads and whiteheads, rather than red pustules or 'underground' zits) and have to work hard at preventing my pores from getting clogged. Treatments with 2% s.a or more work great, and I find my blackheads are significantly reduced within days. You still should visit a dermatologist or spa to get them professionally extracted though, if you notice when you pop them, they are big, round, and hard.

HTH!

athena123

Yep, dreamergirl makes a great point here. Salacylic acid [BHA] is great for keeping pores clean from within and glycolic acid [AHA] is a must for surface exfoliation and removing dead skin cells that contribute to clogged pores. I personally use all 3 to keep blackheads away.

Jojoba oil to massage and melt sebum plugs once a week
BHA everyday [switching between 2% and 5%]
AHA every other day

shadowaddict

Where do you buy Jojoba oil? Does it come plain or is it mixed with something? Do you put it on your face with or without make-up removed first?

athena123

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaddict
Where do you buy Jojoba oil? Does it come plain or is it mixed with something? Do you put it on your face with or without make-up removed first?

Shadow, I either buy jojoba oil at Trader Joe's [only 6.99 for 4 oz.] or online at Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices, teas & essential oils.

First I use jojoba oil to remove makeup [including eyeshadow and mascara], then rinse with warm water. Then I'll go back with more jojoba to massage around the nose area to unplug sebum and blackheads. When complete, I'll rinse off with warm water and either followup with a microfiber cloth only or another cleanser to remove all traces.