Breastfeeding in public

NutMeg

Re: Breastfeeding (moved from Industry Discussion)

^ Oh I know where its coming from, and I do really understand that you are worried and nervous and hormonal and I still have a lot of respect for you and your opinion. Its good to hear that you recognize that you've been a lot more ranty in this thread than usual. Good luck with the last part of your pregnancy.

glamdoll

Ok, I can see what Ashley is saying. I too would feel a bit weird if it totally did impair me from working. But if there is a public place and they are just feeding, and I happen to see it. Its none of my business. I have the choice to look away, or keep staring and be bothered, which in either case the mother shouldnt have to stop for me.

I find it more rude and disgusting how some people chew their food, lack of manner or other gross stuff i've seen done in public. THEY should be legally forced to eat under a blanket or somewhere away from my sight!! seriously! lol

I saw a mom today actually breastfeeding at the grocery store, and I didnt care, I think its kinda cool how they are giving their kid the best thing out there!

Some parents dont even try, and thats fine they have that choice, but if someone chooses to breastfeed they shouldnt be looked down on.

SparklingWaves

All my life, I have been exposed to it. So, I am totally fine with it. I am more concerned with the Mother and the babies needs & comfort.

stelu

It is a baby's fundamental right to have access to his/her mother's milk from the breast! The primary purpose for a woman's breasts is to nourish her infant/baby/child. Sorry, but get over it! There are more prudent things to worry about--like why more women choose or are not supported to breastfeed. I think it's offensive that some babies drink the milk of an animal that sh*ts and eats in the same place (cow's milk) rather than the milk that is prefectly made for them by the woman that birthed them.

liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelu
It is a baby's fundamental right to have access to his/her mother's milk from the breast! The primary purpose for a woman's breasts is to nourish her infant/baby/child. Sorry, but get over it! There are more prudent things to worry about--like why more women choose or are not supported to breastfeed. I think it's offensive that some babies drink the milk of an animal that sh*ts and eats in the same place (cow's milk) rather than the milk that is prefectly made for them by the woman that birthed them.

Um...babies aren't supposed to drink cow's milk because their bodies do not have a fully developed digestive system yet, so the proteins are hard to break down, and it is also deficient in certain vitamins that breastmilk and formula have. Babies are also more susceptible to developing allergies if exposed to cow's milk too early, so your argument is null.

stelu

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
Um...babies aren't supposed to drink cow's milk because their bodies do not have a fully developed digestive system yet, so the proteins are hard to break down, and it is also deficient in certain vitamins that breastmilk and formula have. Babies are also more susceptible to developing allergies if exposed to cow's milk too early, so your argument is null.

...as for my point being null, I think you should know that most infant formula is made with cow's milk that has been altered to resemble breast milk.

xStarryEyedX

Wellp, it actually happened to me the other day... Believe it or not. A woman was sitting infront of the makeup brushes breastfeeding... It made me think of this post... I can understand being kind of surprised at first...I asked her if she needed help and then realized that she was breastfeeding.. So it was kind of like do I ask her if she's looking for anything, obviously she's not yet because she's feeding her baby..does she even want me to talk to her, I don't want to make her feel weird... but I don't want her to think I'm ignoring her... Initially, I didn't really know what to do but it was no biggie. Baby was fed, she got her brushes...end of story.

Beauty Mark

Quote:

I don't find babies not getting their mother's milk offensive. It's a personal choice. I think it's extremely judgmental for you to be offended by that; while women who choose to breastfeed shouldn't be persecuted, neither should women who do not. One of my friends used to participate in a new mothers forum and they were always on people for not breastfeeding. You practically had to be diseased for them to not be cruel about it.

Breastmilk might be the best for babies, but because I was adopted, I was fed formula. I think I turned out all right overall.

Esme

I haven't read the whole thread and I don't agree with the rest of what Concertina says, but yeah!! Give me boobs, milk and a happy quiet baby anyday over a screaming, wailing one and a prissy mom!!

I don't understand what the issue is with breastfeeding, but whatever! Some people just don't get it.

Maybe it is more that babies and children don't belong someplaces. I know that is not a popular stand either, but it's the one I took with my kids. A fancy dress up dinner, how do kids belong there? That should be an adult only event. Just as there are kid only events, there can be adult only events. So....

Quote:
Originally Posted by concertina
If the choice is between a screaming infant ruining my day/meal/shopping experience/conversation and blissful silence, please, breastfeed the damn kid.

Snippage

Beauty Mark

A lot of people are uncomfortable with boobs, which is why it's okay in the US for men to go around topless, but I'd get harassed if I did the same.

liv

Quote:
...as for my point being null, I think you should know that most infant formula is made with cow's milk that has been altered to resemble breast milk.

Yes, altered, to remove proteins that make digestion difficult, and fortify it with vitamins and minerals it normally lacks. How you phrased your initial comment implied that people were giving babies the milk that you can buy at the grocery store, not formula.

The fact remains that nursing isn't a viable option for many women in the world, and they have to use formula, and that doesn't vilify them the way you portray.

vocaltest

I don't disagree with breastfeeding by any means, but I don't feel entirely comfortable if someone is breastfeeding in front of me. I'm not saying it happens on regular occurences lol but when I've seen it I'm just like 'ehhh where do I look?' haha. Then again I don't have children, and I wouldn't say for example if a woman breastfed at my work (I work in a hairdressers), tell them to stop it. Like Beauty Mark said, its acceptable for men to wander around topless, but still that makes me feel a bit awkward, not in like hot weather or on the beach, but say in a shop, or if a guy comes into my work topless. Maybe the men part is because I usually its a chav (haha) with a british bulldog tattoo! Hahah no I'm just generalising but overall I don't have a problem with breast feeding in public!

Beauty Mark

Actually, most places in the US have a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy that applies to everyone.

It's stupid, though, that it isn't acceptable for me to be topless at most beaches here. If it's 100+ degrees here, I wouldn't be able to walk around town topless.

pumpkincat210

When In public the few times i did nurse, (i usually did it immediately before i left the house), I just wore a nursing bra and draped a blanket over my shoulder. Nobody even noticed. It's actually a great stress reliever to breastfeed too.

Lady Gray

The reason the mum was acting like nothing weird was going on was because there was nothing weird going on.

ThePowderPuff

Well I actually once breatfead my baby in a shoestore
greengrin.gif
Well, he was newborn and was crying his eyes out, what are you gonna do?

I have breatfead the strangest places but I try my best to be very discrete and cover up as much as I can. But if you can't breastfead in public, you really can't leave the house for the 6 months you're breastfeading. So of course I breatfead in public.

But maybe it's more accepted in Europe to breastfead in public than in the states? I don't know.

Boasorte

people make a big deal out of nothing, its just breast feeding damn. I remember in NYC a lady got arrested for breast feeding in public, and what is ironic about it, is that here in NYC it's perfectly legal for a woman to walk around completely topless

tsukiyomi

My daughter breastfed for 24 months and she decided on her own that she wanted to stop. I did breastfeed her in public and I got rude stares and a couple rude comments but I didn't care. My child's needs definitely came before a stranger's comfort level. It's not hard to look away. Breastfeeding is not sexual, it's the most natural thing ever and I never covered up but my shirt covered up the majority of my breast and my child's head covered up the rest. Most women do not breastfeed in public with a lot of breast showing as some people would have you believe. It's not obscene and the law protects women from being deemed indecent.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
people make a big deal out of nothing, its just breast feeding damn. I remember in NYC a lady got arrested for breast feeding in public, and what is ironic about it, is that here in NYC it's perfectly legal for a woman to walk around completely topless

I agree!! And in AU is ILLEGAL to discriminate against a nursing mum if she is feeding in public - you can be fined and or taken to gaol if you discriminate against a feeding mum. You cant kick her out of your store, you cant ask her to leave, and you cant ask her to stop either - and damn rightly so. If anyone asked me to stop feeding in public you can be sure I would have told anyone and everyone to fuck right off.... feeding my baby is a right, not a privilege and I really dont care what other people think, my children and their right to healthy nursing and feeding are more important than any stranger that happens to object. I wont inconvenience my kids or myself because somebody elses fragile ego has been offended. And you be be damn sure I wont be saying to no my babies, no honey, you have to go hungry because this upsets the stranger. NEVER. Pity more countries wouldn't adopt the same policy and support nursing mums by stopping the discrimination outright.

Latest posts