Brush sets rant

hot*pink

Alright, I just received my Colour Forms package in the mail today from Nordstroms & I need to vent!

Why is it that MAC can't have a little more variation in the brushes that are released with these sets? I feel like it's the same exact brushes every time, with maybe one or two changes.

Personally, I would love to see the 134, 222, even the 227 in short handle versions. I think the last big "Ooh wow!" SH brush was the 187 - even that is becoming boring. I think the SH brushes are great for traveling or throwing in your makeup bag, so that's why I'd love to see some of the other more used brushes.

Am I the only one alone in this?!

Sorry - just had to rant!
smiles.gif

BlahWah

I'm not as rant-y on this as you are but I get what you mean, lol. The brush sets, from what I understand, are mainly geared towards people who don't have/have many brushes so they can see what they're like. I do wish they'd put out a real Advanced set tho, with lesser-known brushes. I'd love to see the 209 or 210 instead of the 263. I would totally keel over if the 150 was in a set!

HOTasFCUK

I hate when brush sets put that stupid little eyeliner or lipliner brush in the set. To me, i find it such a waste & i hate any brush set that also includes an eyebrower groomer!

I like a mix of different eye and face brushes! Especially eye brushes, you want one all the different dynamics of making a really good eye look!!! I have a few MAC mini brush sets and i barely reach for them!

nadiya

I haven't been tempted to buy a brush set yet, because there's always a few in there that I don't want, although I did like the travel cases that the colour forms came with. My dream set would be the 188, 222, 224, 239 (lots of people have this but you can always do with more than one than one) and the 134.

Seeking Refuge

I HATE the brush sets compared to the main/general brushes. Mine shed everywhere! NO matter how many times I wash them.
ssad.gif

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Refuge
I HATE the brush sets compared to the main/general brushes. Mine shed everywhere! NO matter how many times I wash them.
ssad.gif

That's too bad! I'd say that's another gripe of mine, that they're like a hit-or-miss with quality. I've been lucky with a decent set from Tailor Made (2005), no bleeding or shedding, but I hear of sad stories like yours and it really makes me wary of trying them out. I've been slowly buying the full-sized instead.

kobri

I wish you could purchase all the regular brushes in short handle or reg versions. I prefer short handles, but people keep saying that the brush sets are lower quality

MacNeill59

brush sets are POO POO they are MACHINE PROCESSED compared to the hand made high quality regular brushes. Brush sets are another gimmick aimed at consumers, like gift with purchase, and don't get me STARTED on that...

pumpkincat210

My set brushes haven't held up as well as the full size versions, but they are alot less expensive when you add up the prices of full size v. set.
I do like the short handles though. It makes putting them in my purse so much easier.

Sanayhs

I HATE the 129SE I have. I got the 129SH and the difference in quality and softness is incredible. For the most part, though, I'm fine with the few SE brushes I have. I haven't had any problems with mine, and I use them a lot.

daisyv316

I totally agree, I also would like variations of the brush sets, my 168se sheds like crazy everytime I use and I got it this past Dec! So I am totally staying away from these sets and getting the full size instead :)

rocking chick

I would like to have more variations for SE brushes too. Another complain is the 129SE, it sheds like crazy whenever I use it.

spectrolite

I own 3 different brush sets and while there are some individual brushes amongst them that are duds, there are also some really great ones. I use my 224, 212, 242, 252, 219, 239, and 190 nearly every day and those are all brushes that I got as part of brush sets. None of them shed very often and I wash them a few times a week. They actually shed much less than my full sized MAC brushes...!

If you feel like the quality and variety isn't that great then don't spend the money on the brush sets. They might come in new colours and patterns but there is a real big chance that they are just going to be the same brushes that are released over and over again. As others have mentioned, they are probably geared towards customers who are new to MAC and using brushes. I bought my first set in 2006 when I was a MAC noob and it was a really great starting point
smiles.gif

I would actually love to see MAC release another full sized collection like the Pret a Porter collection from 2006. It would be great if they did that at least once a year for customers who are familiar with the MAC brushes and want to purchase them in a special set. I was really poor back then and couldn't afford it. I'm ready now MAC, please bring it back >_<!!

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
My set brushes haven't held up as well as the full size versions, but they are alot less expensive when you add up the prices of full size v. set.
I do like the short handles though. It makes putting them in my purse so much easier.

Ditto, and I feel my control is better. And if I need to get closer to the mirror I can! I hate it when I'm carefully blendng with my 217 and I want to get a better look at what I'm doing. If I'm in a rush and not thinking I can poke my eye out as the end of the handle crashes into the mirror!
ssad.gif

All in all, tho, if the variation was better I'd probably buy a set. With the Colour Forms sets I only wanted 1 or 2 brushes and while it may be more economical I'd much rather invest in the full-size than have 1 or 2 new and slightly inferior brushes with backups of the 129, 263 and 219.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrolite
I would actually love to see MAC release another full sized collection like the Pret a Porter collection from 2006. It would be great if they did that at least once a year for customers who are familiar with the MAC brushes and want to purchase them in a special set. I was really poor back then and couldn't afford it. I'm ready now MAC, please bring it back >_<!!

imo it wasn't that great of an idea. sure the brush roll was cool, but when you added up the cost of all the individual brushes, it was the same cost as the set. so you got the brushroll for free in the end, but it was no different than buying all the brushes separately.
th_dunno.gif

KikiB

I have the eye brush set from last Christmas and I have had no problems with it-yeah the 252 has had one hair fall out-but other than that no problems whatsoever. I haven't gotten into other sets yet but I will buy primarily the sets because I have to have the control that the shorter handles give me. I have crappy hand-eye coordination, so shorter handles are a godsend.

aziajs

I agree that there should be more brushes included. I would love to see a 222 or other brush included.

spectrolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
imo it wasn't that great of an idea. sure the brush roll was cool, but when you added up the cost of all the individual brushes, it was the same cost as the set. so you got the brushroll for free in the end, but it was no different than buying all the brushes separately.
th_dunno.gif

I just meant that it would be nice if they released a collection of full sized brushes in different colours each year for people who didn't need mini brushes and wanted to buy the full sized ones in a special set. Like for instance a set of full sized red brushes in "Red She Said" would be amazing. I don't care about the cost, just gimme the red full sized brushes >_<! I guess the Pret a Porter set wasn't that great since the brushes are usually black haha.

trojanchick99

I purchased the Basic Colour Forms brush set and was kinda disappointed.

The 129se is not soft, the fluff brush 226se is also not very good. I did love the makeup bag and 190 though so I won't be returning.

I know I should have gotten the advanced set, but I'm a sucker for red packaging. I'll get an advanced Holiday set, so I can have a short handled 187.

Latest posts