Brushes 213, 210, 228 - Can't tell from genuine except for... (pics attached)

loci

I just went to MAC today to get a 242 for my cream eyeshadow and got a chance to look at the brushes they have as demo at the counter.
Here is what I found out:

1. Older brushes made in France have shiny black handles with sparkles, the ferrule does not curve in
2. Newer brushes made in Japan have dull black handles, still has sparkles but so fine that's near pearly
3. The product origin always located at the same side of the silver MAC writing, however the font for France is slightly bolder than the one in Japan, which is quite faint
4. The fake ones on ebay has mixed characteristics of the above two batches.

stingray

Wonderful! Thank you Loci, for doing that!
goodjob.gif

Yes, the product origin is on the same side of the silver MAC writing on my brushes. The font is bolder than the ones made in Japan.

The silver MAC writing still doesn't rub off though.

So, if the French handles are more shiny, can that mean they look paler?

Does this mean mine are not fake after all?

loci

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray
Wonderful! Thank you Loci, for doing that!
goodjob.gif

Yes, the product origin is on the same side of the silver MAC writing on my brushes. The font is bolder than the ones made in Japan.

The silver MAC writing still doesn't rub off though.

So, if the French handles are more shiny, can that mean they look paler?

Does this mean mine are not fake after all?

I think the best way to know is just go to a MAC store and compare them. But by all means, if you feel the quality of the brush is just as good, its not that big of a problem isn't it?

stingray

I don't have a MAC store near me
ssad.gif
. Also, what if a MAC store didn't have the French ones to compare with?

I think the quality of my maybe-fake ones is as good, but I can't tell without comparing them to the real thing...
th_dunno.gif

loci

They usually have...at least for 224 which almost from every MAC counter I went is using the French batch. My 224's handle is shiny but not paler that looks bron though, but you never know whether its really old or something else.
Also I'm pretty sure the SH and SE ones follow different rules as the ones I said.

stingray

You're very helpful, Loci, thank you again
smiles.gif

What I notice most with my maybe-fake ones is that they're paler almost like a dark grey, and that the silver text won't rub off like it does on my real brushes but I can scratch it off if I try hard.

If I can get a friend to go to a MAC store here in the UK, maybe she could tell for me, but it needs daylight to see if it's paler. That is if they also sell the French ones here.

I don't have any SH or SE brushes, so I don't know about those.