Bumps and Scars from Hell - Advice Highly Needed!

x-ivy

So, I've had acne for about 4 years now, and I'm sick and tired of them. I know that most of you ladies have had them way longer than I have, but I can't help feeling alone. I've been looking at some of the forums on Proactive and such and heard of some really great results. I've tried Proactive and it didn't work at all, gave me more acne really
hmm.gif
. Before that I was using Clinique's regular 3-Step products but got tired of it and moved on to Proactive. Now I've been using Clinique's new Acne Solutions products since the middle of July, and I've only seen a few changes. My skin's gotten a lot smoother and a lot of the tiny black heads on my nose and forehead had disapeared, but that's it. Pimple haven't stopped rising and it seems like I'm getting new scars:confused:.
I feel like the acne is holding me back from being more of an outgoing person and I hate it. I tried talking to my Mum about going to see a dermatologist, but she said it's reallt expensive...

I was wondering what you guys think I should do! I'm getting pretty desperate about it, and I know it's bad, but I just can't help it. I'm kind worried I'll have them all thoughout high school and not have as much fun as I want too.

Here are some pictures of me, NO EDITING...ohhh the agony!!

dscn2836wd5.jpg
dscn2839ip7.jpg

dscn2848gr1.jpg
dscn2849ja6.jpg

Indian Barbie

I was having problems recently too, but I find that tea tree oil products from the body shop has been working quite well for me. And its not mega expensive either.

aeni

One of my old classmates in highschool had the same problems as you do - he used Proactive for awhile and then moved on to micro dermabrasion. Mind you I hadn't seen him in 2 years but when I did, I couldn't believe how amazing his skin looked b/c it took away almost all of the scars (he continued to still have acne, but the micro removed the former scarring).

Sorry I can't be of much help otherwise. Have you seen a dermatologist or even considered birth control (which helps acne)?

x-ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeni
One of my old classmates in highschool had the same problems as you do - he used Proactive for awhile and then moved on to micro dermabrasion. Mind you I hadn't seen him in 2 years but when I did, I couldn't believe how amazing his skin looked b/c it took away almost all of the scars (he continued to still have acne, but the micro removed the former scarring).

Sorry I can't be of much help otherwise. Have you seen a dermatologist or even considered birth control (which helps acne)?

I haven't seen a dermoatologist yet, but I'm aiming to see one.
smiles.gif

And I had to go on the pill because of my cramps..but they made me nauseous, so I got off those right away..

V15U4L_3RR0R

When my acne was pretty bad I used Angels on Bare Skin and Tea Tree Water both by Lush and that helped me out big time.

Do you exfoliate at all? It may help if you do that a few times a week. I found that helped me a lot as well and helped to reduce scaring a bit. HTH

x-ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V15U4L_3RR0R
When my acne was pretty bad I used Angels on Bare Skin and Tea Tree Water both by Lush and that helped me out big time.

Do you exfoliate at all? It may help if you do that a few times a week. I found that helped me a lot as well and helped to reduce scaring a bit. HTH

Yeah, everyone keeps saying to use Lush
hmm.gif
I think I might just have to beg my Mum to try yet another thing...

Oh...and I exfoliate every morning. If I don't then my skin peels all day and gets really oily

V15U4L_3RR0R

You might call me crazy for this but it worked for me. I used to get pretty bad oily patches on my skin and I used to put loads of moisurising cream on them. I found that this helped to reduce the oily patches because my skin started to prodice less sebum because of the extra cream I was putting on. You may want to try this at night though. At first My skin went kinda crazy but then it settles down and balanced out. Does take a few months though. But you don't have to try it. Most people think I'm having a laugh when I tell them about it but like I said it worked for me. I Used Dream Cream by Lush lol. (Can you tell that I'm a bit of a Lush fanatic?)

aeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by V15U4L_3RR0R
I Used Dream Cream by Lush lol. (Can you tell that I'm a bit of a Lush fanatic?)

Dream Cream on the face? Wow - I could never do that - seems too oily for me to use there. But I heart it on my legs and elbows like no other.

V15U4L_3RR0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeni
Dream Cream on the face? Wow - I could never do that - seems too oily for me to use there. But I heart it on my legs and elbows like no other.

Yup. Works really well for me. As well as the oily patches I got some unpleasent dry and red splotches and it cleared it right up. Never had any problems using it. It goes on my hands as well and any other really dry bits that my body can't do on it's own.

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ivy
Yeah, everyone keeps saying to use Lush
hmm.gif
I think I might just have to beg my Mum to try yet another thing...

Oh...and I exfoliate every morning. If I don't then my skin peels all day and gets really oily:confused:

You should try Lush, it's skincare is completely natural, there are no man-made chemicals which make acne worse in a lot of cases. Try Coalface cleansing bar (It has licorice in it which is extremely calming) and Tea Tree Oil toner. Cupcake Facemask is great at clearing skin too. I had minor acne when I was about 14 and Lush completely cleared it, my skin was visibly better after a week of using it. Essentially, you should make your skincare as simple as possible, using two or three products twice a day. Too much intrusion stresses skin and makes it break out more.
On a side note, exfoliating every day is extremely bad for acne...you should only do it about once a week.

mayenni

sorry to be the downer but u have to see a dermatologist to get rid of ur acne.I had pretty bad cystic acne(the worst kind) all over my face and I tried almost every pharmacy brand that I saw in a magazine, on t.v, or recc by forums like this one.I even tried proactive.My bf bought it for me as a gift thats how bad my acne was.Finally after I graduated highschool I went to see a derm.She put me on Tazorac at night and clindamycin in the morning.After trying for 4 years, my acne was almost completely gone in less than a year after going to the derm.I still have very small breakouts but nothing like before and they are usualy gone in a week.The visit to the derm might me expensive but in my case my insurance covered the creams.Plus I was spending too much money buying random products anyways.Sorry about the long rant but piont is to save ur money and go see a derm.Its worth it.

Anita

I agree with the last post. See a derm. In Canada, do you have to have a prescription to get Retin A Micro? Or Differin? These will make your face peel pretty bad for the first few weeks but after that you should see dramatic results. Or if you go to the derm, they might put you on Accutane. I am on Retin A Micro and it has worked wonders for me.

alien21xx

Agreed with the posts about going to see a dermatologist. It's the best option and I really think you should do it now while the scars are fresh.

When I was a teen, I never wanted to go because I felt it was too expensive even though my 'rents were willing to pay for my treatment. My stubbornness has no resulted in permanent scarring that no amount of microdermabrasion or peeling can help. When I last went to see a dermatologist, he said that if I want the scars totally gone, I need to have each and every single one of them laser-treated.
ssad.gif

milamonster

hey girl
i feel your pain. when i was in middle school the doctor used to give me all kinds of stuff for my face. i finally had found one that was awesoem but she hadnt given me a refill so when i went in the next time i wanted the same thing, and supposedly they didnt have it. it was supposed to be the same thing but clearly was in a diff bottle and didnnt work as well .
i used proactive and it worked well for me. at first it would create more acne supposedly clearing out the skin and bringing the bumps to the surface but after that it worked like a dream. but it cost too much for me so istopped. soemtimes you have to give stuff a while to work, but if you have and this isnt your case, then i would hit up a dermatologist.
here's a few things though that helped me out with acne:
not touching my face
cleaning my brushes more.
using a gel cleanser

somethingsinful

I use differin it really works for me and my normal doctor prescribed it for me so if your mom still wont take you to a dermatologist try asking your doctor for it it was $50 but for the next prescription you can use a rebate just go to website

quinntastic

I have to disagree with seeing a dermatologist until you've exhausted all your options. It is pretty expensive.

The problems with Proactiv and Clinique - CHEMICALS! That is why your skin is worse after you use them. It's like putting battery acid on your face. NO THANK YOU!

Ok I'm going to talk from experience, not personal experience, but because I've worked in skin care I have some product recommendations that have helped friends/clients.

I'm assuming that you are oily and quite possibly a little sensitive because of the volume of breakouts.

1. Cleanser - Cream Bar or Get Down clay cleanser from Origins. Some people don't like soap bars but this one is great.
2. Exfoliator - St. Ive's Apricot scrub is gentle and good for everyday use, or I love Modern Friction by Origins. It cleans your pores of EVERYTHING and minimizes the appearance of pores. Also did wonders for me personally in buffing out acne scars. A big plus in my book. You only use it two to three times a week.
3. Mask - once a week. A clay mask will draw out all the impurities and help control the oil. Origins has one called You're Getting Warmer that also has clay in it. Clay helps to break up and dissolve the oil and keep it at bay.
4. Toner - essential! This will pH balance your face. Try one that has clay. Origins Oil Refiner is good.
5. Moisturizer - you still need one if you are oily. Try an oil-free formula. They are lightweight and won't clog pores. Origins' Matte Scientist is for oily skin and is fantastic.

I use all Origins and it has made a HUGE difference on my skin. Now I am the opposite, I have really dry skin but I did have problems with acne in college, but my skin is fantastic now and I am happy with the difference.

I also would suggest no makeup for a while until your skin clears. That is to say no foundation. Unless you want to try Bare Minerals which will not clog your pores.

Some pics:

You can see the acne and scars on my forehead. I had to crop out my friend Shirley.

meshirley2.jpg

And now:

glasses1.jpg

Good luck and I hope that your skin gets in shape soon!
smiles.gif

chameleonmary

Hi sweety,

I think you need to see a dermatologist (after what I have been through, you seriously cannot put a price on good skin and self esteem), and I will be blunt with you (at the risk of some disagreement) that you might benefit from a course of Roaccutane. I dont know about costs of dermatologists from country to country but I only saw my derm half a dozen times over a year and spent zilch on skincare products for the whole year i was on it, only a cream cleanser so I saved money on other 'quick fix' treatments.

I had been on it for a year and think its the best thing I could ever do for my skin. I had severe cystic acne for ten years of my life. I did the whole Proactiv, Clinique 3 step, leaving it alone, stopping makeup stuff and it might have improved my skin temporarily, but a few weeks later, or when my period came, it would just come back. I can honestly say that since I stopped Roaccutane 6 or 7 months ago, I have had only 2 TINY pimples which went away in a few days. When I got an acne cyst or large pimple before the treatment, they would stay for weeks and scar even if I didn’t squeeze.

If I could find a before/after pic I would, but I hated my skin so much in that time that I shunned away from photographs. I have an after pic, I am wearing only a little mineral makeup and a tiny bit of eye makeup.

If you can afford it, see a dermatologist. They will go through the pros and cons (whilst there are some side effects, I was very lucky to have had very few), and give you their recommendation (which you are not obliged to take). It wouldnt hurt, at least not as much as acne does.

christal24

hey deary I too agree with everyone who is telling you to see a derm. Ive had cystic acne since my highschool days and still get it form time to time Im almost 25. Ive been on accutane 3 times.

Do you live in the states?? Im guessing thats why its so expensive. I think Ive taken for granted the medical system here in Canada. I've always been covered under my dads insurance, so he only has to pay 80% of all the drugs I need. I also have eczema and so my WHOLE life Ive been seeing derms and as you can guess the money adds up.

BUT honestly tell your mom HOW MUCH IT bothers YOU....this is YOUR FACE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! YOU can use all the products in the world BUT SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO SEE THE DOCTOR TO GET PRESCRIPTIONS.

CANT YOU JUST SEE YOUR FAMILY DOCTOR ?????????????