Bumps and Scars from Hell - Advice Highly Needed!

christal24

For makeup that is great for covering scars I used makeup forever extreme camouflage concealer. I had this HUGE disgusting scar on my face from eczema the size of a penny and the only thing that would cover it up was that stuff from MUFE. THat cover up is made to cover tattoos so its amazing.

Also another great line would be laroche posay, my derm recommended it. I have extremely oily skin, I use toleraine line of products and efficlar.

BUT yah seeing derms in canada are very hard, you have to be refferred by your family doctor etc, and takes months to see them cause they are in such high demand. DO you have a family doctor??? they can prescribe stuff to you too: differen, erythromycin etc....

x-ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by christal24
DO you have a family doctor??? they can prescribe stuff to you too: differen, erythromycin etc....

I've seen my family doctor and she prescribed me dalacin t...
i'll post some pictures and you guys can tell me if it has improved at all because i don't see a difference *sighs*

lavina

I've just started using Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion for my extremely stubborn moderate acne and hyperpigmentation(marks leftover after pimple that are not actually scars). It's a chemical exfoliant that contains 10% glycolic acid. You can read the reviews at makeupalley--->http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...x/Moisturizers
oh and make sure you're using a gentle face cleanser! good luck!

rbella

I have to agree with the advise about seeing a derm. I had terrible, scarring acne and the only thing that helped me was accutane. My derm also ran tests on me to find that I am highly allergic to parabens and anything containing paba. So I always have to look at the ingredient list of any foundation, powder, moisturizer, soap, blush to make sure there aren't any methyl/propylparabens and make sure the front says "PABA Free". Most derms won't run the test for this allergy unless you ask and I'm glad I did. It didn't help with my cystic acne (accutane cured that) however, it did get rid of the tiny painful pimples I would get all over my face. HTH! Good luck to you!!

rbella

I don't think that there is any difference. I think they started calling it "RoAccutane" after the company who manufactures Accutane (Roche). Roche's sole rights to sell the product expired and now generic versions are available. I think that is why it is called "RoAccutane". HTH

x-ivy

i'm also curious about accutane.....
my doctor ran a long list by me about all the problems you can have with it...liver failure, depression etc...yet my friend tried it and i keep hearing people mentiong to try it :s help?

rbella

Well, they have to cover all the bases with you regarding any possible health conflicts. Otherwise, they would be negligent. However, when taking accutane, your Dr. should be monitoring your liver with blood tests, cross checking it with any current medications you are taking, have you take pregnancy tests every 3-6 months and evaluate you for depression.

Honestly, I think it is a really great product. It did wonders for my skin. I think that if you have exhausted all your over the counter possibilities, then it would seem that having a doctor treat it would be the best option. If you are nervous about the possible side effects then have him try something stronger than what you have currently used but with less side effects than the accutane.

I really feel that the majority of those who take it have a positive experience in the long run. Having acne is a very emotionally exhausting condition and getting rid of it is one of the best feelings in the world.

For reference-I've used pro-activ, all over counter remedies, retin-a, differin, tetracycline, birth control, microdermabrasion, obagi peels and md forte. None of them worked for me. The only thing that cured my cystic, painful acne was accutane. However, because I waited so long (into late 20's) to treat it, I was left with severe scarring and underwent laser resurfacing. Keep in mind that I also picked at my face all the time which caused most of the scarring.

HTH

x-ivy

Oh I see, ok thanks!
smiles.gif

If I were to use MAC foundation, what colour do you think I should use. The only thing I can tell you is that my Clinique Perfecly Real Compact Make-up is in shade 142 and my Superbalanced Compact Make-up SPF 20 is in the Spice colour. I don't know the equilvelent of those, but if you colour tell me, that would be great!
smiles.gif

kalikana

I've had acne since I was 12 (I'm 18 now), and it's definitely had a huge effect on my life. I've tried Proactive too and it didn't work at all for me. Anyway, I can see that you live in Ontario.. and if you live near the GTA, I would really recommend Dr. Geller's Acne Clinic. I was really desperate when I came to them, because I thought, "Okay, if this doesn't work out then I don't have a choice but to live with this acne until it goes away by itself." But anyway, I'm telling you.. THEY WORK MIRACLES! Honestly, after a few months, I barely got any pimples and some of my scars have cleared just in time for my prom. And now, my skin looks so amazing and with the proper make-up it doesn't even look like I've had acne at all.
smiles.gif
It's $30 per visit, but I think it's totally worth it. Anyway, I know they have a clinic in Mississauga and Toronto, so if you feel like you're running out of options you should check them out.

Babylard

have you tried the famous asparin mask? it involves some tablets of asparin soaked in a bit of water mixed with honey.

I went to visit my family for the holidays and my sister was suffering from what you have (judging from the picture). She had large pimples with blotchy skin. I got her to "encrust" the problem areas with the mixture and leave it on for 45-60 minutes everyday for a week and then doing it every other day. Of course you should test on a small area first and see if you have any negative reactions. Try not to rub the problem areas as this may cause irritation. I can honestly say that she is experiencing results, but of course it won't be a miracle. You have to keep doing it for a while. She has also tried proactive and murad. proactive made her skin more angry and murad did nothing. make sure you got a nice moisturizer to counteract the drying effects. using jojoba oil in your skincare is also good as it can open pores and help your acne meds work a bit better. jojoba oil is a great moisturizer. i personally use a hot towel and soften my blackhaed skin and then massage in jojoba oil and repeat for about 15 minutes and then follow up with acne meds. helps a lot!

good luck!

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ivy
Yeah, everyone keeps saying to use Lush
hmm.gif
I think I might just have to beg my Mum to try yet another thing...

Oh...and I exfoliate every morning. If I don't then my skin peels all day and gets really oily

You should really consider AHA/BHA treatment rather than a manual exfoliator. It has been my experience that physical scrubs are too harsh on the skin, which causes inflammation and then the hyperpigmentation gets worse. Add that to the actual acne, and it's just a vicious cycle.
Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation does need to heal but it really can't until the actual acne is resolved, so the best thing for you to do is check out the derm.

My skin acts somewhat like yours and I've been learning how to prevent the pop-ups so that the stuff you see can heal from Dr. Baumann's book. It's really, really helpful just because not everyone's skin acts the same, but some things are common among certain skins.

Hope this helps you.
smiles.gif