Canadian Brands: Lise Watier, Quo,...

StarrySim

Has anybody tried the new Marcelle lipsticks? I can't remember what they're called but they're on display now and the formula swatched beautifully and the colours are gorgeous. I don't usually bother buying drugstore lipsticks because MAC isn't that much more expensive and has a better buying experience. I'm tempted to try one of these though.
I swatched these as well, and they do look very nice. Creamy and pretty. I also prefer MAC lipsticks though, and very rarely stray, so I don't plan on picking up any. Also saving for a wedding, Junkie and I are destination bride-buddies :)

Is anyone redeeming Optimum pts this weekend? This will be my first Valentine's weekend without redeeming pts in like 4 years.

StarrySim

Girls! Urban Decay is now at the Yorkdale Shoppers Drug Mart (Toronto)! Any other locations I should know of? I'd love to know, for my Optimum points redemption pleasure :)

Edit: According to my googling, they also have UD at BCE (181 Bay St I think) and Scotabank Theatre (Queen & Spadina).

katred

Specktra Bestie
That's awesome! I hope there's a plan to roll these out cross-country! How many products are they carrying?
Girls! Urban Decay is now at the Yorkdale Shoppers Drug Mart (Toronto)! Any other locations I should know of? I'd love to know, for my Optimum points redemption pleasure :)

Edit: According to my googling, they also have UD at BCE (181 Bay St I think) and Scotabank Theatre (Queen & Spadina).

gigiopolis

Has anyone noticed that there are like a bajillion more Essie polishes at Shoppers now? I don't know about your SDM, but previously the selection of Essie was so crap, there were maybe like 8 shades? And they were mostly sheer pinks or red/pink cremes.

The new ones have the same new labeling as the Essie's sold at Wal-Mart in the States after they were bought by L'Oreal, and I think I remember seeing some Wal-Mart exclusives. I was SO EXCITED when I walked into SDM the other day and was greeted with a tower of Essie polishes! They even sell the new collections now!

ansimi

SDM here usually has limited Essie but they get the new collections and has some nice basics. And London Drugs often gets the new collections and they're only $5.99! I've never seen a tower of Essie though. Pretty much the same situation with Orly. Are Spring polish collections out now? I'll check your blog:)

Do we have any good Canadian brands of polish? I can't think of any.

gigiopolis

Yeah the Essie rack in the Vancouver SDM's in the past was soooo crappy, only the very basic Essie shades. I had to go to salons to see a bigger selection + new collections, and without the added benefit of Optimum points!

I've never seen them at London Drugs either! Or maybe I have, but again the selection was so crap and around the same price - I would kill for $5.99!!

Yes I saw the French Affair collection at SDM! Might go back and get Coat Azure, but not until after I've finished all my midterms :( Sigh! Haha yes go check out my blog! It's basically just me getting overly excited over the new Essie's at SDM hahaha :p

ansimi

I bought a few brushes worth reporting on. They're from the new premium Spa Resource line and I bought them at Walmart. It's a Canadian company and I believe I've seen the brand at Pharmasave before but this line is new. I rarely bother with cheap brushes since I've invested in high-end brushes and never regretted it. But, they had some neat looking synthetic ones and cheap synthetics are sometimes OK so I got a few and they're really good. I got a standard foundation, a cream shadow, and a really cool pointed kabuki. They're very soft but not that floppy soft like Ecotools and some other cheap synthetics. They feel well-made and didn't smell horrid.

They have pics and prices on their website. I think the prices in Walmart were the same. I don't see the foundation brush I got on the website but it seems good and I think it was $6.

http://www.sparesource.ca/

StarrySim

I've had a few of the Spa Resources brushes. I liked the medium eye shadow brush, but that was about it. The small eyeshadow brush was way too scratchy, and the large powder brush just wasn't good. This was the original line though, I will have to check out the new pro line.

On a similar note - I bought two Quo angled liner brushes, both the regular (blue handle) and the pro (black handle). They're not bad, but nowhere near as good as the mac 263 or the Lise Watier liner brush. And I find them to be pretty much identical, the extra price of the pro isn't necessarily worth it in this case. Good buys at 40% off though, I just wanted to make sure I always have at least one clean liner brush around, since I can't use them multiple times without washing like I can with blush or eyeshadow brushes.

WhatWouldJoanDo

I recently bought the lise watier feline waterproof mascara .. I find it harsh on my lashes - anyone else? The brush itself is cool the way the velcro-like tongs grab and wrap around your lashes.

Marcelle lipstick are ok, but I find their colours just a little off - never even somewhat close to what I want.

Joe brushes, I have one and don't care for it.

Quo is nice for basics at a great price - I mean an eye brow and lashes brush for 4$ - can't go wrong there. (The are having a 50% Quo accessories ie. brushes, cases, sponges, puffs, facial brushes, etc. at Shopper's in Toronto FYI)

ansimi

I never bought anything from the old Spa Resource line but these ones looked so much better that they drew me in - plus a couple of cool shapes like the pointed kabuki. I only bought synthetics so I knew they wouldn't be scratchy but they had one natural brush that I might try - a little round flat top that I think they call a crease brush but that I thought might be nice for buffing concealer or highlighter.

MAC 263 is my favourite all-round liner brush because it's so versatile. I have a bunch of liner brushes that I like for different products or techniques but I can make the 263 work for anything. I have the silver-handled Quo liner brush but the handle loosened before I even washed it and I've never gotten around to fixing it. I haven't tried any of the Quo professional brushes yet. The handles seem a lot nicer but none of the styles make me really want them. I wish they had a pro version of their regular blush brush. I really like the shape of that brush and how it applies product. I reach for it over several high-end brushes. It just doesn't feel like great quality though and I don't like the handle. I haven't found my perfect blush brush yet.

I haven't tried any Lise Watier mascara but "velcro-like tongs" sound scary.

Junkie

Holy shit, Urban Decay?!

I want the Naked palette! And my staff discount will make the price even more amazing! WOOT.

Might have to break my no-buy for that! lol

On another note, Annabelle has another pre-pack out with 4 new quads and 4 new squeezy tube lipglosses - and the pack has a $1 off coupon on it for any Annabelle product. The new lipgloss looks promising - one is a bubblegum pink, another is like Revlon ColourBurst lipstick Siren, but in lipgloss form, another is a grapey red and the last is a plummy light purple. I didn't swatch the e/s, so I'm not sure how well they wear or how pigmented they are - but they remind me a lot of GOSH's old quads.

WhatWouldJoanDo

To add to this. The JOE lip stain "markers" (they look like little markers to me) work really well and the colours are pretty.
I recently bought the lise watier feline waterproof mascara .. I find it harsh on my lashes - anyone else? The brush itself is cool the way the velcro-like tongs grab and wrap around your lashes.

Marcelle lipstick are ok, but I find their colours just a little off - never even somewhat close to what I want.

Joe brushes, I have one and don't care for it.

Quo is nice for basics at a great price - I mean an eye brow and lashes brush for 4$ - can't go wrong there. (The are having a 50% Quo accessories ie. brushes, cases, sponges, puffs, facial brushes, etc. at Shopper's in Toronto FYI)

Junkie

UD is also at Queen and Beverley...but they're always sold out of the Naked Palette.

I think either Yonge/Dundas underground has it...or the Eaton Center....can't remember exactly.

Waiting on it to be stocked at Queen/Beverley!

Also! I was on the Lise Watier site today and realized that the 2 LE glitterliners from last spring are now core items! Saphir and Emeraude are here to stay for anyone who missed them. I'm actually running REALLLLYY low on my Black Diamond glitterliner. And of course, the pink one was discontinued I think.

Anyone see the summer collections for these yet?

StarrySim

UD is also at Queen and Beverley...but they're always sold out of the Naked Palette.

I think either Yonge/Dundas underground has it...or the Eaton Center....can't remember exactly.

Waiting on it to be stocked at Queen/Beverley!

Whaaaaat? I shop at those locations all the time, how did I miss this? When did they get UD? I was just at the Yonge/Dundas one doing a quick walkthrough on Friday, did I miss it?

StarrySim

Ok, girls, who's got Optimum points saved up? From now until Sunday, special promo at Murale

Spend 50,000 Optimum Points get $85 off and 25,000 points back!
Spend 95,000 Optimum Points get $170 off and 47,500 points back!

I'm super excited! I haven't been there since last summer or fall - have there been any changes in the past few months? (at the Toronto Shops at Don Mills store)

I could swear i read somewhere that a SDM in Whitby sold Urban Decay and had the Naked Palette!
They do have UD there, but not sure whether the Naked palette is actually in stock. I checked the Eaton Centre store, no UD. Haven't checked Yonge & Dundas yet.

EmWyllie

Fellow Shoppers customers, there's a special on Lise Watier going on this week! If you spend $60 or more you get 10x the points!

I picked up some more Mascara Wow (my FAVOURITE Mascara!), Dual Phase Eye Makeup Remover, Duo Glam Lipstain/Lipstick in Candylicious (a really beautiful purpley-fuschia colour), A Plumpissimo gloss in Opalescence (sheer sparkle), and they have a new base out! They call it 3-in-1 Miracle Primer with Diamond Lumiere Complex. It's two separate tubes in the same package, you pump both in to your hand and mix them together to form the primer and it Mattefies, Corrects redness/pinkness and it illuminates, too! Paraben Free, Fragrance Free and Oil free too! I slapped some of it on when I got home and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's delivered on each one of it's promises for me. =)

WhatWouldJoanDo

Anyone try Bourjois? I'm thinking their eyeliner kohl pencils and "specially-shaped" french manicure nail polish brush look really nice .... tempting ...

WhatWouldJoanDo

fyi lots of naked palettes at sdm yorkdale
wavey.gif
... lots stacked on the beauty boutique counter last night around mall-closing time and more on shelves.