Catherine Collection Funny Comment by my Husband

Moppit

Today I dragged my husband to the mall. Of course we had to go to MAC. The display for Catherine was out and I was looking at it. My husband saw it and immediately said "Who is that Old Bag". I told him who she was and he didn't think she should be representing MAC.

I just thought it was interesting that he said that as soon as he saw the display. This was a totally unbiased remark from someone that just saw it.

Anyone else's boyfriend, husband, partner make any comments?

roxybc

She was just posting a comment. It's called freedom of speach!!! I think your very touchy about the age subject (IIRC regarding the other Catherine thread). Her comment was just basic feedback about the icon. I'm sure some people may have not liked Liza or Diana as well, and probably voiced their opinions as well.

leppy

My DH recognized her, and only said that he thought it was cool it wasn't someone "stupid like Britney Spears".

I do think this belongs in the other thread as it is obviously meant to respark/continue the stupid age argument.

roxy: again, its obviously meant to be a comment on the argument that has been going on, she didn't even give her opinion on the collection.

Jude

Sorry Roxy but I have to agree with Turbokittykat; can we please get past this age dispute? Her comments also have nothing to do with anyone's freedom of speech. She has as much right to post a dissenting view as the original poster has to post their views on the subject.

Moppit

This has nothing to do with age or the previous thread on the whole age fight and is not to respark/continue either (Leppy). I didn't even comment on the previous thread. I just thought it was funny that he would make that comment not knowing about the arguing that was going on here.

I bought one item from the collection because I wasn't attracted to most of the colours.

Furthermore I'm 41.5 and Catherine's age has nothing to do with me buying or not buying from this collection. Age didn't even enter my mind.

I didn't realize that some people on the forum are so touchy about age.

Maybe the fact that my husband is quite a bit younger than me is why he thought she looked older than the usual MAC models.

pumpkincat210

oh my goodness! My husbands friend saw her on the computer and said she looked hot for an old chick. I can't believe what a controversy this has caused. i think she's beautiflul.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppit
This has nothing to do with age or the previous thread on the whole age fight and is not to respark/continue either (Leppy). I didn't even comment on the previous thread. I just thought it was funny that he would make that comment not knowing about the arguing that was going on here.

I bought one item from the collection because I wasn't attracted to most of the colours.

Furthermore I'm 41.5 and Catherine's age has nothing to do with me buying or not buying from this collection. Age didn't even enter my mind.

I didn't realize that some people on the forum are so touchy about age.

Maybe the fact that my husband is quite a bit younger than me is why he thought she looked older than the usual MAC models.

I am feeling you. I didn't think you were trying to re-ignite the age debate. I didn't take it that way. You were just asking if anyone's signifigant other had any feedback or comments on the collection. I thought you were pointing out that what he said was interesting based on all the discussion that has surrounded the collection.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybc
She was just posting a comment. It's called freedom of speach!!! I think your very touchy about the age subject (IIRC regarding the other Catherine thread). Her comment was just basic feedback about the icon. I'm sure some people may have not liked Liza or Diana as well, and probably voiced their opinions as well.

I agree with you. The girl should be able to make her comment without people coming at her about the age thing. I realize that, like other topics on here, the icon collection is touchy and has been explored and discussed as far as it can go but give the girl a break.

Lo-Fi_Thriller

i dont care if people are touchy with her age - just they made her up kinda plasticky - one picture looks like Debrah Harry the other Barbra Walters - if shes old shes old if not owell!!

Julia Vanhorn

From what I understand, I think that all the Icon collections are a way of bringing back some of the "Classic" women so to speak. Catherine is the first collection that I have actually got a chance to see and buy as well. I was not that into MAC when Diana came around, I was still a MAC newbie back then. But getting back to the point, the Icon collections are showcasing the older women (trying not to be biased here) and is not made to represent people like Britney Spears. I like the whole idea behind this. It is basically a way of remembering those that has inspired MAC to be the way that they are now, even before MAC started. I believe that they deserve to be respresented by MAC. Then you have the Viva Glam Collection, which just showcase the younger people like Christina Aguilera.
Personally, I actually like just about everything from the Catherine collection. All Icon collections are made for people of all ages.

MeganGMcD

My husband said ' WOW Catherine Deneuve!! She is awesome" because we are film geeks and we know that this woman was the Dior MUSE.
Julia Vanhorn! YES!!! EXACTLY. MAC is paying tribute to those who paved the way for fashion and fabulousness!
As a film "geek" I was soo impressed they picked Deneuve. She was truly a force in cinema and fashion that inspired so many creative people.

MAC is so cool for recognizing this. That is why I love them, they have the artsy "cred".

Hawkeye

OK quite frankly, I know some people are sensitive about age or whatever, but I'm not and I think those who are highly sensitive about it should realize not everyone is as sensitive about it.

We fully know by now that there is some huge discussion that lasted 9,000 pages mainly because of this situation.

I think sometimes we have to get past our sensitivity. I know I've had to do it with many things on this board. If I can do it others can too.

Now, actually Moppit was just stating a fact, it is freedom of speech. Just because she posted something her HUSBAND said then thats OK. My husband just looked at the display and said, " Uh, I know her but where.....?"

Let's face it, not a lot of people know or care who C.D. is and it's not because of age (believe it or not!) and you know what? When Liza Minelli came out, I had no idea who she was either!

Gah! *bangs head on wall*

I'm just annoyed because just because someone doesn't see something from one perspective it has to do with age all of the sudden, it has nothing to do with age (at least for me) all it has to do with is what your interested in.

Now that's my rant.

Roxy, I agree with you girl, and I don't think it was ment as an "age" remark either just stating a fact.

But I say we let the mods decide and if they want to move it to the long discussion they can since they are the final judges
smiles.gif

asteffey

the icon collection is supposed to represent icons. i hardly think britney spears is part of that collaborations. catherine, diana, liza; yes. who cares about age? cher is in her 60s and shes still hot. madonna is getting up there too. still hot as well. like the baseball player satchel paige says; "age is a question of mind over matter. if you dont mind, it doesnt matter."

Colorqueen

Wow, apparently I have missed out on some intense debates, eh?

I am like WHAT is everyone so wound up about? Perhaps it is just as well. The Western market driven culture has worked so hard to convince us (through heavily criticizing what is natural and inevitable) that we NEED their products that many people have lost perspective on reality and what we all should look like- just observation- NOT meant to enrage anyone.

Just for the record, I did not see anything off about the original post. She was just stating her husband's reaction and judging from what I see about the debate, it is kind of funny in an obtuse sort of way.

Well, enough rambling for now, I guess.

I just hope that MAC makes the Kabuki a permanent part of their brush collection.

bluegrassbabe

My DH saw the pic on the computer screen, and commented on how great she looked. I was actually quite surprised that he knew who she was. He prefers a more classic look on women as opposed to all the young Hollywood look-a-likes that are featured on every add camaign for most beauty products. He refers to Paris Hilton as a bone with a nose, lol. That may be why I married him
smiles.gif

Latest posts