Chartreuse Pigment

darklocke

Hello fellow Specktrettes,

I have two jars of MAC Chartreuse Pigment, once which I've bought off eBay and another which I've bought from someone on Specktra. I'm pretty sure that one of these jars are authentic, but I kinda need your help to establish which one it is. I think I know, but I'd like to know what you all think.

I've swatched them both on my hand and they don't look quite the same. The one to the right has a goldish tint to it, which the one on the left doesn't seem to have. They look similar, but not the same - and I suck at explaining the difference. :p As you can see of the pictures below, one of them is clearly marked at the bottom, the other has barely visible "engravings".

Thank you so much!

Jar on the left: AB6 - Jar on the right: AB4​

darklocke

Someone told me that Chartreuse was first released with Dress Sets in November 2006.
Can someone confirm this? If that's the case, then the AB4 must be fake.

MAChostage

I only have a vial/charm of Chartreuse p/m and it has a 2006 date on it. MAC Live Chat is good for confirming release dates of products. I've inquired about products and have been given all the release dates on any particular product, to include its original release and any re-releases.

darklocke

Thank you so much, MAChostage. Unfortunately the person on Live Chat wouldn't help me, just told me to send an e-mail or call their number. Since I'm in Norway I cannot call them, and they don't seem to be answering any e-mail I've sent them. :(

SakurasamaLover

The second and third pics are a bit dark but I would say: the jar on the left is the real one and the one the right the fake. One seems legit and the other seems fakes like you said.

Your second and third pics are what showed it clearly.

panda0410

Would be easier with better pics, but the AB4 run had an issue of counterfeits... just like the AB4 White, AB4 Tan, AB4 lots of colours... I dont buy anything with that batch unless I see it really well before hand in pics. I would caution anyone buying AB4 batches in any colour unless it comes from MAC/CCO.

Rita Baumann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ufI1BztINA

Here's a youtuber with a good example comparison of fake/real chartreuse pigments. She's cute, I don't think she quite understands the batch codes, but the color in the video is good.

AiriMagdalene

Simple answer. Whichever one is the one that says "Chartreuse AB6" on the bottom. That's the proper coding for the product. The one that is embossed on the bottom by the brand of the company that made the jar is fake. Nothing mac has any other company's name on the packaging.

darklocke

Simple answer. Whichever one is the one that says "Chartreuse AB6" on the bottom. That's the proper coding for the product. The one that is embossed on the bottom by the brand of the company that made the jar is fake. Nothing mac has any other company's name on the packaging.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand what you mean? Both of my jars of Chartreuse have a sticker label on the bottom. Both jars are embossed on the bottom, just as every authentic MAC Pigment jar is (although it's usually hard to detect). I've also seen several threads here on Specktra, where people have a AB4 Chartreuse, and no one's calling those fakes. I just don't think it's that easy.

Rita Baumann

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand what you mean? Both of my jars of Chartreuse have a sticker label on the bottom. Both jars are embossed on the bottom, just as every authentic MAC Pigment jar is (although it's usually hard to detect). I've also seen several threads here on Specktra, where people have a AB4 Chartreuse, and no one's calling those fakes. I just don't think it's that easy.
The old jars all say "Coltainer" on the bottom. That was the maker of the plastic jars. They were from a company called Colt Plastics.

The problem is the batch code AB4. It would be interesting to see these threads (in which people say AB4 Chartreuse is genuine). The reason why AB4 may not be valid is the last digit of the batch code is the year. 4 would indicate a manufacture year of 2004. Chartreuse was introduced in 2006 with the "Dress Sets" Collection. That is why a 2004 manufacture year on the batch code may not be valid. If there is anyone who has seen or owns a Chartreuse prior to 2006 I would like to know so this contention could be cleared up.

Here is a photo of my Chartreuse (Mine is new so it is in the new style jar). It was shot with an 18% grey card as the background with a Macro lens on a 5D Mark 2. Make sure the grey is truly grey on your monitor and you should be able to see the color well.

AiriMagdalene

Rita Bauman just elaborated on what I was trying to say, Darklocke. My reply was just a short way of saying the same thing. The timelime would be inaccurate for the AB4 pigment to be correct, it would be impossible that AB4 is the real one

darklocke

Quote: Originally Posted by Rita Baumann

The problem is the batch code AB4. It would be interesting to see these threads (in which people say AB4 Chartreuse is genuine). The reason why AB4 may not be valid is the last digit of the batch code is the year. 4 would indicate a manufacture year of 2004. Chartreuse was introduced in 2006 with the "Dress Sets" Collection. That is why a 2004 manufacture year on the batch code may not be valid. If there is anyone who has seen or owns a Chartreuse prior to 2006 I would like to know so this contention could be cleared up.

Thank you a million times, Rita! That's exactly what I found when I did some research, that Chartreuse was released with Dress Sets in 2006, but I wasn't able to find anyone who would back this up. I've listed three threads discussing Chartreuse AB4 (among other pigments) below. No one says it's authentic, but no one's screaming fakes either. I'm thinking I'll toss my AB4 in the trash.

Here's one thread discussing Chartreuse pigment with batch number AB4, where one is said to be authentic:
http://www.specktra.net/forum/thread/93274/fake-pigments-closetmustgo/90#post_1055659

Here's a second thread where Kerri lists one of her favorite pigments to be Chartreuse back in 2005 (comment #8):
http://www.specktra.net/forum/thread/22748/what-pro-pigment-do-you-recommend/

Here's a third where a girl asks if Chartreuse AB4 is eye-safe or not, no one tells her it's an obvious fake?
http://www.specktra.net/forum/thread/23495/chartreuse-pigment-question

Confused much? Oh yes. :p
Thank you so much for ALL your replies, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. :)

Rita Baumann

Here's one thread discussing Chartreuse pigment with batch number AB4, where one is said to be authentic:
http://www.specktra.net/forum/thread/93274/fake-pigments-closetmustgo/90#post_1055659

Here's a second thread where Kerri lists one of her favorite pigments to be Chartreuse back in 2005 (comment #8):
http://www.specktra.net/forum/thread/22748/what-pro-pigment-do-you-recommend/

Here's a third where a girl asks if Chartreuse AB4 is eye-safe or not, no one tells her it's an obvious fake?
http://www.specktra.net/forum/thread/23495/chartreuse-pigment-question

Confused much? Oh yes. :p
Thank you so much for ALL your replies, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. :)

What I am thinking is that perhaps there was a not eye-safe formula prior to 2006 at pro stores. Like I said, I wish there were more people to confrim this. I can't be certain in my mind of the Chartreuse in that old link. Perhaps it was an old formula - or she had two fakes. She did buy them both off EBay. IDK. Personally I am so done with EBay MAC. Lol.

I had a fake Chartreuse I bought 2 years back that I threw away. It had a good texture, but it stunk to high heaven (really pungent smell like the 120 palette has) and it had a gold undertone. The color was like Chartreuse and Golden Olive had a baby. I bought that and a Spiritualize which I posted on here - which pretty much confirmed I had fakes. Since then, I purchased a Chartreuse at the MAC Pro Store in Chicago and I got a genuine Spiritualize from a CCO.

The counterfitters (up until they changed the jars) had copied the jars just about perfect. Your best bet is to look at the color and texture of the pigment - Chartreuse is a shimmery green - but there is no gold undertone or dualchrome to it.

Pigments, eyeshadows and Hello Kitty items are the most counterfitted items right now - there is a TON out there. I am pretty much sticking to my MAC Macy's counter in Milwaukee, the CCO in Pleasant Prarie, and the Chicago Pro Store for my MAC items from here on out. :)

OH and BTW - If you can't get a hold of Chartreuse and have a Sephora around, MUFE #304 is an OK dupe for eyeshadow use. It's not as shiny, but the color is darn close.

Latest posts