Cheating spouse?

MarniMac

OK, so this is going to be long, but TIA to those of you who read and respond. So, about 8 months ago (a month after our daughter was born) my husband started showing his photography in a local gallery. He was frequently (on a daily or every other day basis, an hour or sometimes more, at a time) going over there to drop off his artwork, talk to the gallery manager and go to shows. I agreed to go to his first show with him when our daughter, Kelsie, was 2 months old. I sat on a couch with her and basically took care of her while he mingled and talked to people about his artwork. I noticed one girl in particular talking to him frequently, but I didn't really pay much attention to her since I assumed she worked there (she does) and I thought she was chunky and unattractive. Usually, I might get mildly jealous if I see a real hottie talking to my man a lot, hehe, but I didn't really feel threatened, just slightly annoyed that she wouldn't leave him alone. I didn't really think too much about it after that. About a month later, I came back with my husband to the gallery to drop off some of his artwork and I noticed that she acted really weird around him and me. She acted like I wasn't even there (everyone else in the gallery says "hi" to me when I come in and a lot of them make small talk) and she totally flirted with Mike...and he flirted back! In front of me no less! Still, I didn't really care, because I thought she was fat and ugly...not to mention acting like an immature school girl with a crush, which personally I think is really off-putting. I know its really shallow to call her fat and ugly, but I guess I wanted to somehow make myself feel better by putting her down. I never TOLD her I thought she was fat and ugly, in fact I have yet to speak a word to her, even though my husband interacts with her on a daily basis. So I started teasing Mike, my husband, about his "chunky new girlfriend." And he got really mad, which I thought was strange, because in the past when other women flirted with him, we would joke about it. He did admit that she flirts with him and comes onto him, but he doesn't feel comfortable telling her to back off because they have a "business relationship." Which I think is bullshit, lol. I came into the gallery a couple times more and its always the same thing...she flirts with him, tells him she wants to show him some new things and pulls him off by himself and pretends like I don't exist. I came in with him to the gallery today, after not coming in for a while, and I noticed that she dyed her hair blonde(before it was dark brown), put makeup on and lost some weight...and it was kind of creepy...like she was trying to look more like me. Anyway, the important thing is that my gut is telling me that something about the whole situation is weird, like its not just harmless flirting. Either she really has a thing for him (because this has been going on for 8 months) or they are having an affair. I don't have any solid proof...its just my intuition. I guess maybe I could just be jealous of the fact that she has the balls to throw herself at my husband in front of me, I just don't really know. I feel like there is no way to find out either, which is really frustrating. Everytime I ask my husband about it, he gets mad and he says its because he is forced to interact with her and I make him feel uncomfortable about it. I'm really bummed too because he has a huge show coming up this weekend and I was really excited to go and support him (I just bought a really cute dress for it yesterday), but now I don't even want to go, because I know she will be there hanging on him the whole time and scowling at me. I don't know how to handle this situation at all, so any advice or thoughts would be so appreciated...it feels good just to vent all of this too. Thanks guys.

Shimmer

urm. A sticky situation for sure.

I'm not going to say your man is cheating, I can only say that in that situation I trust my instinct.

I hope you get it worked out.

d_flawless

i can only agree with shimmer, i hope things work themselves out...
smiles.gif

MarniMac

Thanks guys. I've been thinking about it and I've decided to go to his art show. Its really unlike me, but if she flirts with him, I'm going to tell her to back off...I mean its at his art show, so I will do it in a quiet way, so I don't cause a scene. I really don't like conflict and I don't want to cause any drama (the bain of my existence) but I think that if she has the balls to flirt with him, I should have the balls to tell her not to. The truth is, at this point, I can only speculate about whether or not an affair is going on...which is obviously a waste of time. You guys think thats a good plan? I really don't know how to handle this situation. Ugh.

giz2000

Is there anyone you can have watch your baby the night of his show? I would definitely show up and check out the situation. I agree with the others...trust your instinct and confront her...hopefully she'll get the message...please let us know what happens...and hang in there...

MarniMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
Is there anyone you can have watch your baby the night of his show? I would definitely show up and check out the situation. I agree with the others...trust your instinct and confront her...hopefully she'll get the message...please let us know what happens...and hang in there...

Thanks for the support and advice! I don't know if I can get someone to watch her that night because I only let her grandparents (my husband's parents) sit with her and they will probably be coming to the show that night. Which is another problem...I don't want to tell them whats going on or embarrass my husband at his show, especially when they are there. They are kind of old fashioned (read chauvanist, lol) and they think I should just be ok with the flirting and be in denial to keep Mike happy. Whatever. Ugh...Shimmer is so right...sticky situation! I will let you guys know what happens. Keep the advice coming in, lol!

CrystalStars

Id still go to the show. Find someone to take care of your baby and sex yourself up. He could be having a wandering eye since you had the child because now more of your attention is on the baby. So take this chance to sexy yourself up and make that chick jealous that he is YOUR man. And really...it could be as simple as that. If not....maybe befriend some people at the gallery who would have you back and let you know if they heard anything.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

wear your cute ass dress , do your makeup . and look hot as hell!! Stick close to your husband looking all "arm candy" like lol, and
If she flirts with your man. tell her that you would like to talk with her and say I dont feel comfortable with you flirting with my HUSBAND .. of which I have a CHILD with.

Shimmer

I have to say, I thought about it a bit more, and subtlty simply isn't my forte. It's just not.
In this situation, I've done exactly this (and I'm offering this as a caveat: I am not telling you to do this, I am not telling you not to do this, I am only offering my reaction to similar situation(s))...
a) I recognized that as a stay at home mom I had stopped taking care of myself the way I should. I fixed that. I started getting dressed everyday, 'for no reason', so my husband could have a visual reminder of how hot I am, and more importantly, so I could feel better about myself. Schlepping around in sweats all day is comfortable, but it's not good for my mental health. I don't get sexed up everyday, but I do take time to make myself 'pretty'.
b) I started working out. Silly, really, but it makes a difference in posture and mind set.
c) I confronted him about his behaviour feeding into the situation, and explained that he, as my husband, owed me the courtesy of telling her plainly "This is my wife. I will not disrespect her by feeding into or allowing your behaviour to cross personal lines the way it has. Please keep your interactions with me on the professional level and respect me, my wife, and my marriage." in my presence. When she started making drama, he simply told her, "No, you don't understand, this is about the perception that you are making untoward advances to me despite my marital situation, if you believe you are not, perhaps you need to evaluate your own behaviour. This discussion is now closed, I'm going to spend time with my family now, have a lovely evening."
and finally
d) I did not make a scene with the woman. I did not confront her, I did not ever let her see me sweat. I was distantly polite while remaining completely disinterested in her when I had to deal with her. By doing so, I came out on top.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarniMac
They are kind of old fashioned (read chauvanist, lol) and they think I should just be ok with the flirting and be in denial to keep Mike happy.!

Ugh my boyfriends mom is this way..
It pisses me off..

MarniMac

Thanks so much guys for your ideas and support. I don't really think this is a case of me no longer taking care of my appearance...I'm the girl that does her hair and makeup everyday...in fact he teases me about how everything is a "fashion show" for me, because I always want to look nice. Besides, like I said in my post, that girl is not very attractive and she has to have at least 20 or 30 lbs. on me. I really think its more of a case of emotional neglect. I've been so busy with the baby...he probably feels like he is no longer "the baby." And he tells me that she really gushes over his photography and she thinks he is really cool...I think he probably wants me to do that a little more.
A small update: I talked to him about it again last night...and I tried to show him that its more about feeling like she disrespects our family by flirting with him and its not just that I'm being a crazy, jealous female, lol. He said he would try to talk to his boss about it, but he didn't want to piss anyone off. I'm definitely going to the show and I'm going to get my hair and makeup done...I'll probably post pics afterwards, so you guys can see. Its going to be tomorrow night, so...really I just hope there isn't any drama.
I really appreciate your advice Shimmer...it would be so nice if my husband would just do what yours did!

little teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
urm. A sticky situation for sure.

I'm not going to say your man is cheating, I can only say that in that situation I trust my instinct.

I hope you get it worked out.

i agree i would say trust your instinct and i would def keep my eyes open women do have a way of dectecting when things arent right and if her and your husband are rude enough that they cant control there self in front of you then you should say something to her good luck..

n_c

Go with your instinct...Im wondering why he gets upset when you bring the situation up. I would check the situation very closely.

sexypuma

i am glad about your final choice. Go to the show, stick with your husband and please do not confront her. She doesn't acknowledge you? then don't acknowledge her at all. Don't let her see that she has any impact on your marriage. The process of making her stop has to come from him. He is the one who needs to make her understand that this situation is disrespectful to his family and he will not tolerate it.

Shimmer

Not only that, but on the off chance you're wrong, if you confront her you run the risk of looking a fool. :/

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexypuma
i am glad about your final choice. Go to the show, stick with your husband and please do not confront her. She doesn't acknowledge you? then don't acknowledge her at all. Don't let her see that she has any impact on your marriage. The process of making her stop has to come from him. He is the one who needs to make her understand that this situation is disrespectful to his family and he will not tolerate it.

Took the words right out of my mouth lol.

Honestly, what it really comes down to is...some girls can be scandelous...they don't care if your with him, have a baby from him, more or less his wife but, it's all about how you handle these kinds of situations. Either let them get to you and cause drama for your marriage or take it as a compliment that you have a hot husband that some girls wished they had. But...seems like this has been going on for awhile now so I think it's up to your husband to address the situation and fix it so you can feel more comfortable. Mind you, the reason why this girl keeps acting the way she does is because your husband is allowing it (not because he likes it but maybe because he doesn't like confrontation) and hasn't said anything about it so she probably thinks it's ok to act a fool around him
lmao.gif
. I'm sure if and when your husband says something to her, she's gonna feel stupid and the next time you see her, things WILL be different.

Good luck...keep us posted on the final result!
smiles.gif

MarniMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Not only that, but on the off chance you're wrong, if you confront her you run the risk of looking a fool. :/

Oh god. Can you imagine. That would be the biggest foot in the mouth moment ever.

Latest posts