China Olympic Ceremony Little Girl Mimed (Real Singer Wasn't Pretty Enough)

ratmist

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | China Olympic ceremony star mimed

A pretty girl who won national fame after singing at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games was only miming.
Wearing a red dress and pigtails, Lin Miaoke charmed a worldwide audience with a rendition of “Ode to the Motherland”. But the singer was Yang Peiyi, who was not allowed to appear because she is not as "flawless" as nine-year-old Lin.

The show's musical director said Lin was used because it was in the best interests of the country. The revelation follows news that a fireworks display used during the opening ceremony was apparently faked.

'Smiling angel'
Speaking on Beijing Radio station, musical director Chen Qigang said the organisers needed a girl with both a good image and a good voice.

They faced a dilemma because although Lin was prettier, seven-year-old Yang had the better voice, Mr Chen said.

"After several tests, we decided to put Lin Miaoke on the live picture, while using Yang Peiyi's voice," he told the radio station. "The reason for this is that we must put our country's interest first," he added.

"The girl appearing on the picture must be flawless in terms of her facial expression and the great feeling she can give to people."

Singer Lin, who is being called the "smiling angel", has already become a media celebrity because of her performance. She told state-run China Daily that she felt "beautiful" in the red dress she wore during the performance. Her dad told the newspaper that she already had fans all over the country.

According to Chinese news reports, Yang said she did not regret the decision, saying she was satisfied to have had her voice featured in the opening ceremony.

This is the second "fake" story about the opening ceremony. Viewers around the world saw a display in which 29 firework "footprints" travelled across Beijing from south to north. But a senior official from the Beijing organising committee (Bocog) confirmed on Tuesday that footage of the display had been produced before the big night.

This was provided to broadcasters for "convenience and theatrical effects", according to Wang Wei, Bocog's executive vice-president.

"Because of poor visibility, some previously recorded footage may have been used," he told a daily press conference.
I think that's incredibly sad. Poor little Yang Peiyi! I thought she was very pretty, from the picture I saw on the BBC!

_44914738_girl_afp226b.jpg

Yang Peiyi

k.a.t

I think this is just so sad, and i'm a little disgusted by it. It's a perfect example of just how shallow our society has become. This constant need for 'perfection' is driving me mad
angry.gif
angry.gif

ginger9

Honestly I am tired of all these reports of criticism of the Olympic games. It's IMPOSSIBLE to please everybody, it's also impossible to be flawless in every execution.

I don't condone replacing the little girl but I rather look at the big picture. I think China did a spectacular job with the Olympics. I am tired of the protests. Everyone has the right to not agree with China’s political practices. However imo the Olympics are supposed to be a venue for athletic competition. I just want to enjoy the coming together of athletes around the world and the unison in which we appreciate and celebrate their achievements as human being and to just forget/put aside (for two week, every four years), the wars, the politics, differences in how each nation chooses to run their own country. I just want to enjoy, admire and celebrate the human race in the purest - the physical and spiritual, that is all.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger9
Honestly I am tired of all these reports of criticism of the Olympic games. It's IMPOSSIBLE to please everybody, it's also impossible to be flawless in every execution.

I don't condone replacing the little girl but I rather look at the big picture. I think China did a spectacular job with the Olympics. I am tired of the protests. Everyone has the right to not agree with China’s political practices. However imo the Olympics are supposed to be a venue for athletic competition. I just want to enjoy the coming together of athletes around the world and the unison in which we appreciate and celebrate their achievements as human being and to just forget/put aside (for two week, every four years), the wars, the politics, differences in how each nation chooses to run their own country. I just want to enjoy, admire and celebrate the human race in the purest - the physical and spiritual, that is all.

I agree with you, and I completely enjoyed the opening ceremonies. I thought the little girl singing for her country was spectacularly well done. Then I felt really upset when I read this news item. It just... well, I felt cheated, and I felt sorry for the little one that apparently wasn't physically pretty enough for her country, though her voice was clearly beautiful enough. Considering this is a makeup board and we're all pretty sensitive to topics about beauty, I thought it was a fair post to make.

zabbazooey

I think it's awful that she wasn't "pretty" enough. I think she's adorable. What kind of message does that send out not only to that little girl, but also to others?

Babylard

wow thats upsetting. to think society is already telling girls they aren't pretty enough at age 9ish... peiyi is adorable. i hope she doesn't grow up with self-image issues.

why does china do these things? it makes them look even worse when people find out about it lol

thanks for sharing

Shaquille

I saw that girl in red dress and thought "wow, she's good. I hope she's not lip sync-ing like the girl in Italy did". Winter Olympics opening ceremony, a 9 year old girl lip sync-ing her own voice because they thought she would be nervous and so that's what they did.

But this particular one is even worse. No wonder why people in Hollywood seem better. Look at Amy Adams from Enchanted.

If I were Yang Peiyi, I would refuse to sing. But what can a 7 year old do?

It's so pathetic. They could do something for Yang Peiyi, you know.. a little makeover that suits a 7 year old. Or they could put both in the stadium.. How sad..

Brittni

The girl who actually has the beautiful voice IS pretty enough if you've seen her picture. I don't seem much of a different in who is prettier imo. So just adding that in there that I find them really idiotic for doing this to the poor girl.

It might not bother her now but I hope it doesn't affect her self esteem as she grows up...because I could definitely see it doing that. :S

Beauty Mark

I think the girl they picked is prettier, but who cares? Both children are adorable. Furthermore, what kind person really cares that much about the kid they pick? The child just needs to sing well and make everyone go "Aww", which pretty much any talented singing kid could do.

I don't think this should just be a criticism of China, though. Quite a few people I've noticed have this superiority complex when it comes to the worst things China does, when I could totally see this happening in the US.

babiid0llox

What the? I saw this on the news and I couldn't tell which one they were talking about regarding the 'prettier' one. They're both gorgeous and so adorable. However I heard also it's because Yang Peiyi didn't have a straight enough smile..which is nonsense cause the other little girl didn't have perfect teeth either.

Also no matter how sad this is I too am getting sick of the constant criticism of China. What the chinese government do to Tibetan people and even their own citizens is terrible...but their not the only country that needs criticism and a whole lot of negative attention. There are other countries too (at the moment) that are openly, and not so openly denying people basic human rights. Such as Russia, Zimbabwe...and Israel...and the US.

redambition

i think it's a bit off... the poor girls.

never mind the 10 year old who was originally meant to sing that song - she got dumped a few days earlier (peiyi was her replacement) because she was "too old".

This comment also appeared in an Australian paper:

"Mr Chen said Lin may not have realised she was not singing, as her voice was similar to Yang's"

I'm taking this to mean that they didn't even tell the girl on stage it wouldn't be her voice?

I'm sorry, but regardless of where this happened, handling the situation like that just turns my stomach. how mortified would you be if you found out after you performed that the voice being broadcast was not yours?

yujia727

what's the point of critising all this after we all enjoyed the fabulous openning ceremony.. They did everything they could to try to please the audience.
i just felt like all the international media are taking their time on being super picky on the ceremony just because it's CHINESE!... i'm so over this ..

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by babiid0llox
Also no matter how sad this is I too am getting sick of the constant criticism of China. What the chinese government do to Tibetan people and even their own citizens is terrible...but their not the only country that needs criticism and a whole lot of negative attention. There are other countries too (at the moment) that are openly, and not so openly denying people basic human rights. Such as Russia, Zimbabwe...and Israel...and the US.

I suppose it depends on whether you think the Olympics are a suitable venue to air out political debate. I don't think this applies to my post... I wasn't being critical of China for its human rights record (though I could easily start up a new thread on that). I was just feeling bad for the little girl. I just thought it was awful.

That being said, I think it's perfectly fine to just want to enjoy the Olympics in the spirit it's intended. However, many people (myself included) don't see it just as a meeting of athletes competing. It's a corporate venture, rife with politics, and always has been. There are also a number of athletes who have signed their names to official protests at the Chinese government's treatment of Tibet. They're still competing, but apparently they think it's also important to be aware of the world outside of competition - the world that is experiencing a lot of suffering as a result of Chinese policies and has never had such an opportunity to be highlighted on a world stage.

Given the history of the Games in the 20th and 21st century, I don't think it's surprising people inject politics into the Games. I mean, it was a platform in Mexico 1968, when the Games were used to highlight the civil rights movement in America. It didn't make America look great then, but now we look back in pride at what Tommie Smith and John Carlos did.

Carlos-Smith.jpg

Also, the Australian wearing the silver medal, Peter Norman, supported this protest by wearing the Olympic Project for Human Rights badge.

So yeah, it may be tiring to hear the political side of Olympic coverage, but I don't think it's going to go away any time soon.
th_dunno.gif

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Quite a few people I've noticed have this superiority complex when it comes to the worst things China does, when I could totally see this happening in the US.

Aye.

I don't like some of the criticisms I've seen about the Olympics that are just thinly veiled (or not so thinly veiled!) excuses to bash the Chinese for having a Communist government.

I just thought they could've treated both of the little girls involved in singing during the opening ceremonies better. I mean, if one didn't know her voice wasn't being used... she may come to feel like a fraud. And the one whose voice was used, but wasn't pretty enough for her country.... she really didn't deserve that. It seems to contradict the very nature of the games - that it isn't about what you look like or where you're from, it's about your *talent*.

MAC_Whore

I think it's crap. However, if it had been in the US, I am sure we would have basically done the same thing. We would have just kept looking until we found a young girl with a pretty voice and face. Let's face it, the US is hung up on looks too.

I love how the young girl who actually sang said she was honored. Really? What else is she going to say? Even if she does actually feel honored, shame on her parents for letting her take honor out of that shit sandwich. Then again, what else could she say without the gov't coming down on them?

As far as China and the games, unfortunately I am suspicious of a lot of things that happen in the games. The Chinese gov't has already proven themselves to have taken great lengths to make these games "appear" perfect (imo,to a more extreme level than most countries would). To be clear, I have nothing against the people, as I feel like they are the victims of a shitty form of totalitarian government.

I have mixed feelings about the opening ceremonies. They were visually spectacular, but what a tremendous amount of money spent. $300 million is ridiculous and wasteful. I just can't help but feel like these ceremonies/games were at the expense of and built off the backs of a lot of the country's people.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I have mixed feelings about the opening ceremonies. They were visually spectacular, but what a tremendous amount of money spent. $300 million is ridiculous and wasteful. I just can't help but feel like these ceremonies/games were at the expense of and built off the backs of a lot of the country's people.

Idly, I wonder how much we spent on the 1996 Atlanta games.... I mean, I remember it was a lot.

Ah, Wikipedia gives a few references to this (1996 Summer Olympics): - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Atlanta Olympics, following the model set forth by the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, used no public money to finance the games. The Games cost US $1.8 billion to stage. Governmental funds were used for security, but not for the actual Games themselves. To finance the games, Atlanta relied on commercial sponsorship and ticket sales, resulting in a profit of $10 million.

So um. Wow. $1.8 billion. I wonder how much of that was for the opening ceremonies.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
what's the point of critising all this after we all enjoyed the fabulous openning ceremony.. They did everything they could to try to please the audience.

Because I think it shows the worst in how people can be re. looks. They're little girls. I think it's sad China did that, and I think it's even sadder that the government felt it was necessary to appease everyone else. What does that say about our society on a global scale?

I have no problem with criticizing something after the events, when new facts are revealed. It's fine you and many others enjoyed it, but there is something very wrong when a perfectly suitable child is told she is not good looking enough for the job and that values may indeed reflect that.

Quote:
I just thought they could've treated both of the little girls involved in singing during the opening ceremonies better. I mean, if one didn't know her voice wasn't being used... she may come to feel like a fraud. And the one whose voice was used, but wasn't pretty enough for her country.... she really didn't deserve that. It seems to contradict the very nature of the games - that it isn't about what you look like or where you're from, it's about your *talent*.

Of course. I'm not excusing it. I think that's a shitty moral to show people and instill in little kids, no matter what the event is or what country did it. I think you raise an excellent point of this not reflecting the spirit of the Olympics.