China Olympic Ceremony Little Girl Mimed (Real Singer Wasn't Pretty Enough)

fafinette21

I just think it's kind of ironic that all these efforts the Chinese government/organizers are taking to show the world their "best" are in actual fact showing their worst. Example, they wanted to clean up the streets so they started killing stray cats. They wanted people around the world to see amazing fireworks so they faked some of it. They wanted to find a pretty girl to sing so instead of just searching a bit more to find one who had both qualities, they demeaned a young girl because she wasn't "pretty" enough. And really, what person in their right mind would have looked at that girl singing and said "She's not pretty enough to be singing, they should have got someone better looking"? No one! I fail to realize how the outward appearance of a small child reflects badly on a country.

While some people may be sick of China being critisized, the fact is the entire world is watching when the Olympics are held. The spotlight is on them right now and they asked for it by bidding for these Olympics. Maybe this could have happened in the US, but it didn't. Maybe other countries deserve attention for their practices, but the whole world isn't watching them. Had China done this at any other time other than the Olympics, I doubt people would care as much.

I have heard the opening ceremony was amazing, but I don't think they should have done everything they could to please the audience at the expense of others.

seonmi

I'm sure the same stuff can happen anywhere, not just China because they don't respect human rights or anything like that. Every country wants to put the best image out there. And the little girl with the good choice agreed to do that and was happy to sing during the ceremony; it wasn't like she was forced to do so, that's human right, right?

yummiebitez

I think that's kinda sad what they did to Yang. Man imagine what it can do to her self-esteem? And especially how it's broadcasted or talked about worldwide. What does that teach our younger generation?

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
Idly, I wonder how much we spent on the 1996 Atlanta games.... I mean, I remember it was a lot.

Ah, Wikipedia gives a few references to this (1996 Summer Olympics): - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Atlanta Olympics, following the model set forth by the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, used no public money to finance the games. The Games cost US $1.8 billion to stage. Governmental funds were used for security, but not for the actual Games themselves. To finance the games, Atlanta relied on commercial sponsorship and ticket sales, resulting in a profit of $10 million.

So um. Wow. $1.8 billion. I wonder how much of that was for the opening ceremonies.

1.8m is obscene

Oh, I forgot to mention how impressed I was when Michael Phelps was receiving his first gold and they started the american anthem part of the way through, then cut it off before it was over. Yeah, the prez was in the stands as well.

I also question the hold-up with the gymnast last night (what is her name..starts with an S). That worked her nerves up and she binned that routine.

I just have a lot of doubts when anything goes wonky under the roof of such a calculating regime.

rbella

^^^I agree Mac. I know it's totally off topic, but that whole gymnastics ordeal was ridiculous, especially the scoring (balance beam in particular).

I feel bad for the little girl. I really don't feel like she had a "choice". I highly doubt she could just tell the Chinese government to F*ck off. She sang beautifully and I hope her self esteem stays intact.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seonmi
I'm sure the same stuff can happen anywhere, not just China because they don't respect human rights or anything like that. Every country wants to put the best image out there. And the little girl with the good choice agreed to do that and was happy to sing during the ceremony; it wasn't like she was forced to do so, that's human right, right?

Don't get me wrong - any country that would do this to two little girls would get a
thmbdn.gif
from me. Honestly, I'm not criticising China on the grounds of human rights (that's a whole 'nother topic that I'm just not prepared to get into while I'm typing away on a computer that was mostly made in China, wearing clothing that was probably manufactured in China, sitting in front of a television made in China, etc. Incidentally, I think if someone really passionately disagrees with what the Chinese authorities stand for, they ought to put their money where their mouth is and try to not support China's regime in any way - especially by choosing not to buy Chinese goods. Easier said than done!).

I'm just saying I feel sorry for the girls and I think China's official stance is something that cannot be supportable in any way. I also don't think children under the age of 10 can "make decisions" of this magnitude, no matter what country they're in. I wonder what Peiyi's parents thought about the situation, and whether they regret letting this happen to their daughter. I just can't imagine encouraging my daughter to end up in this situation, where her physical appearance is rubberstamped by officials as "not good enough". That has *got* to sting!

Nox

Here's the thing though, I think many non-Western countries have a totally different culture regarding children. Children can be seen as a barometer for how "well" a family is, or how "good" a country is. It seems to me that children are groomed from day one not to be a disappointment to their families, communities, and country. And with almost all children being a single child in the family, it is a lot of pressure on little shoulders. And that pressure is heaped doubly on them to be the best representations of society, even if it hurts them.

Check out this CNN exclusive video of what they put these babies through to be gymnastic stars for their country.

And then the whole underage gymnastics team thing... oy! I think I'm going to have to start another thread about that!

MAC_Whore

True, but I still don't agree with the whole pimping the child to please the "party". It's akin to all the stage moms who live vicariously through their kids in child beauty pageants. Most of the time, and this isn't always the case, it just seems like the kids are being used.

Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
True, but I still don't agree with the whole pimping the child to please the "party". It's akin to all the stage moms who live vicariously through their kids in child beauty pageants. Most of the time, and this isn't always the case, it just seems like the kids are being used.

Who said anything about agreeing that it was okay?

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Who said anything about agreeing that it was okay?

Just stating my opinion. You said it was part of the culture and it is. I accept that it is, I just don't agree with that aspect of their sociopolitical makeup.

stacey4415

It's a shame, but you know, it happens all over not just China, as does the corruption.

Many complain about the corruption, namely, in the government, but living in Britain, and witnessing and having to put up with corruption of the gov,t namely the home office, i am not too shocked

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I could totally see this happening in the US.

Hell yeah...I was just going to post that. It always comes down to image.

BTW...anyone see this story? I fail to see how this photo could be construed as anything but offensive. (Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but I thought it fit regarding other countries treatment of the host country)

user79

I thoroughly enjoyed the opening ceremonies, they were some of the best ones I had seen in a long time. It was extremely innovative and had an element of surprise to it. I think they did a tremendous job with it.

darkishstar

I think it's awful.
ssad.gif
Poor little girl.

But that said. I agree with MAC_Whore
The US wouldn't have done this, they would have just looked for a beautiful child star with a beautiful voice, to avoid such a thing happening.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar
I think it's awful.
ssad.gif
Poor little girl.

The US wouldn't have done this, they would have just looked for a beautiful child star with a beautiful voice, to avoid such a thing happening.

Or to avoid it getting leaked to the press. One wonders how this got leaked out in the first place.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Hell yeah...I was just going to post that. It always comes down to image.

BTW...anyone see this story? I fail to see how this photo could be construed as anything but offensive. (Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but I thought it fit regarding other countries treatment of the host country)

that is pretty poor taste. i think it's odd that some ad person/public relations person thought it would be a good idea.

fafinette21

Yea it was a tad inappropriate. If they wanted to show their "affection" for the Chinese they could have gone with the Asian peace gesture that they all do which wouldn't have been misinterpreted (as they say their gesture was). Plus I don't particularly like the stand that Calderon took on it. He didn't so much apologize but take a "I'm sorry if YOU were offended" point of view.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar
I think it's awful.
ssad.gif
Poor little girl.

Not that it would be any better in principal, though.
th_dunno.gif

lilMAClady

They are just being up front about what they do and others won't. People photoshop and crop and replace and use body doubles and its no big deal and now it is? I don't codone it, but its not like its an isolated incident there OR here. You can't please everyone. I just want to enjoy the Olympics. God will take care of the rest.