Clean and slightly dewey face

meiming

Hi everyone! I'm very new here, I just discovered this completely amazing place this morning. I was wondering if anyone can give me tips (MAC or non-MAC okay) on how to create a clean but pretty face with a few simple products. The picture I'm posting is a typical face for me. I have nothing on except a little bit of lip gloss. Suggestions-for-dummies appreciated, thanks!

nunu

appling moisturizer before your foundation gives you a dewy look. I use MAC studio tech foundation and i just dab some moisterizer on my face 3-5 mins before applying my foundation

meiming

Thanks. I'll try that.
smiles.gif

shimpaniac

no matter what people may say...clinique's dramatically different lotion works miraculously for me...apply a drop when your face is still moist after cleansing...and then something like...maybe some mac beauty powder, like Barbie's pearl sunshine wont hurt either!!
smiles.gif

umm...and yeah, splash your face with really icy cold water after you wash your face...it really makes the skin fresh and glowing...
good luck girl...hope it helps!!

meiming

Shimpaniac: I was looking on the MAC site and didn't see the MAC loves Barbie collection there. Is it still available? I found the product description elsewhere and it sounds so cute!

shimpaniac

OHHHH...i feel so bad disappointing you, but barbie loves mac was a LE thing...it just came and went...!! What i meant to say was you could use a bit of any of Mac's MSF's(mineralize skinfinishes)...and get a nice glowing effect...with the 187 brush...
I just got goldspill msf from the flashtronic collection,and despite what others might have to say about it, i think its gorgeous even without any blush under it at all...gives a gorgeous peachy,goldish(is that a word?
lmao.gif
) glow...
But keep checking out the upcoming mac collections for their beauty powders...there are sure to be more!!
Hope you find something soon...good luck
thmbup.gif

me_jelly

I think the easiest and cheapest thing is to spritz a fine mist of water over your makeup after your done (just a light layer)

shimpaniac

yep...thats a great idea...and let me tell you...rosewater works even better then regular water.Put some in a spraybottle and spritz some!!
smiles.gif

Dani

Quote:
Try Revlon SkinLights under your foundation

I loveee Revlon Skinlights!! If you live near a Big Lots, that's where I got mine. MAC's strobe cream might be good too (I have a sample of this and I'm not sure how it would look all over the face). And Fix+. That makes me glow everytime =)

meiming

Thanks for all the good replies and ideas. I like the idea of the rosewater because it smells so pretty too! As for Fix +, I was looking through some other threads and am actually tempted by MAC's charged water in Renewal Defense (the pink one). It seems like it gives the same dewey effect for many people plus it has the added protection and since I do live in good ole LA, might be a good thing?

flowerhead

Get Select Tint, it gives a lovely healthy sheen to the skin without looking oily. I'm a fan of the matte look but it's very pretty...

meiming

So I know it's a couple of months later, but I had to put this project on the backburner for a little while. I ended up getting Fix+ and it didn't quite achieve what I wanted, although it may also be blamed to the fact that I was using Studio Fix powder. =P

Finally yesterday I went to my nearby MAC counter and checked out and came out with strobe cream and select spf 15 liquid foundation in NC30 based on the MA's rec.

I have 2 concerns now. First, though I brought it up last night and she assured me that it didn't look strange, I thought that my face looked too white/neutral now compared to the more now prominent yellow tint of my ears and neck. Maybe that's typical and I shouldn't be concerned? Also, because of the strobe cream and the liquid foundation, I found that my face remained "liquidy" still a couple hours after the makeover. Since I've never used liquid foundation before, is this normal? Should it be sinking into my skin more? I felt like if I were to brush against something like clothing, the makeup would probably wipe off onto it and I could still see some coming onto my fingers if I touched my face.

Any advice greatly appreciated because overall I did like it and felt it helped achieve what I wanted for dewy and glowy face without too much shimmer.

meiming

Sorry I don't have a picture to show you guys of my face last night. By the time I got home, it was hours later and I felt it was smudged a bit already
ssad.gif
I'll try to do it myself soon and take a picture if people want to see it.

woolyowl

If you're looking for something with a bit of glowy shimmer, what about trying the Hyper Real foundation?

I use Select SPF 15, sometimes mixing it with my moisturizer, and for the places where I want a little glow I also mix in a little Glimmershimmer (in Sweet n Shy, now discontinued
ssad.gif
).

Re: your concern about the foundation, I'd have a friend help you check it out in different lighting conditions. Too pale, or otherwise not matching the rest of your head, I think that's a problem! But you might be able to make it work by applying a dusting of light bronzer around the edges of your face, below your cheekbones and next to your eyebrows (but not on the sides of the high points of your cheekbones) to segue the color into your natural, non-makeup'd skin. Hope that makes sense, sorry! I've found that helps make a subtle contour for the face, especially if you have a rounder or flatter face, as it helps the sides "recede".

Kiseki

For a dewy finish, you can try the following:

Giorgio Armani's Fluid Sheer in a flattering shade to your skin tone, you can mix it with your foundation or you can apply it after of your foundation on the bridge of your nose, brow bone, cheeks, Cupid's bow and chin (it's what I do), it has bit of shimmer, but wearable and not painfully obvious.

Another choice is Make Up For Ever's Shine On Pressed or Loose Powder, it is pearly without MAC's Iridescent sort of metallic finish that looks weird for day time wear. You aply Make Up For Ever's Shine On on selected areas to create artificial light catching spots. Last but not least you can try one of Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Bricks like Candlelight per example.

Foundation wise, Laura Mercier's Oil Free tinted moisturizer gives you a dewy finish and Giorgio Armani's Luminous Silk also has a dewy non-greasy looking finish.

MAC's Select Tint is not bad, but if you want a tinted moisturizer, then opt for Laura Mercier's.

meiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolyowl
If you're looking for something with a bit of glowy shimmer, what about trying the Hyper Real foundation?

I use Select SPF 15, sometimes mixing it with my moisturizer, and for the places where I want a little glow I also mix in a little Glimmershimmer (in Sweet n Shy, now discontinued
ssad.gif
).

Re: your concern about the foundation, I'd have a friend help you check it out in different lighting conditions. Too pale, or otherwise not matching the rest of your head, I think that's a problem! But you might be able to make it work by applying a dusting of light bronzer around the edges of your face, below your cheekbones and next to your eyebrows (but not on the sides of the high points of your cheekbones) to segue the color into your natural, non-makeup'd skin. Hope that makes sense, sorry! I've found that helps make a subtle contour for the face, especially if you have a rounder or flatter face, as it helps the sides "recede".

Thanks woolyowl, actually the ma initially wanted to give me strobe cream and hyperreal together...but it was a bit too shimmery for my taste. I like your idea of bronzer to soften the edges. I think it'll help me to gradient with my other skin color. Don't get me wrong, I do think she gave me the effect I wanted, I was just not used to being so made up? (i guess). I do have refined golden already so I'll try that soon!

Kiseki - I'm dying to try GA luminous silk but I can't afford it right now
ssad.gif
I think I first found out about it through snowkei's tuts/fotds and hopefully as I get more skilled with makeup I'll be up for a bit more of an investment. Right now I have to learn how to use liquid foundation. Part of the reason why I stuck with my studiofix powder was b/c it was so easy for me but i was told for a dewy look, powder's bad. Since I bought these already, I guess I aught to use them, but maybe next time I'll try the LM tinted moisturizer. Is it REALLY sheer or does it give some coverage? My skin tone seems uneven to me. =P P.S. Where does one find Make Up Forever products? I've never seen it.

Can anyone tell me if liquid foundation is supposed to still feel liquidy on my face hours later? Is this normal? I feel like I can rub it right off! Maybe too much was used? Maybe its because I've always used powder?

Kiseki

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiming
Kiseki - I'm dying to try GA luminous silk but I can't afford it right now
ssad.gif
I think I first found out about it through snowkei's tuts/fotds and hopefully as I get more skilled with makeup I'll be up for a bit more of an investment. Right now I have to learn how to use liquid foundation. Part of the reason why I stuck with my studiofix powder was b/c it was so easy for me but i was told for a dewy look, powder's bad. Since I bought these already, I guess I aught to use them, but maybe next time I'll try the LM tinted moisturizer. Is it REALLY sheer or does it give some coverage? My skin tone seems uneven to me. =P P.S. Where does one find Make Up Forever products? I've never seen it.

Can anyone tell me if liquid foundation is supposed to still feel liquidy on my face hours later? Is this normal? I feel like I can rub it right off! Maybe too much was used? Maybe its because I've always used powder?

If you want a dewy look with a powder foundation you can try highlighting it with a shimmer powder, like Mineralize Skinfinish, Shimmer Brick or a Beauty Powder or any type of shimmer pressed or loose powder. It won't give you the same effect as a liquid foundation would, but it's possible.

Laura Mercier's TM is sheer but gives you some decent coverage considering it's a tinted moisturizer, a lot more coverage than MAC's Select Tint, although it's a different type of consistency, MAC's Select Tint is more fluid than Laura Mercier's but doesn't have good staying power even when finished with powder.

If you feel you can rub it off, maybe you're not using the right kind of foundation or you're wearing too much. A light dusting of loose powder with a brush like the 129 or the 187 can help fix your foundation.

Investing in a good foundation is very important to me and although I'm addicted to try out new formulas, my two HGs are Armani and Laura Mercier, both are a bit pricy but Laura Mercier's TM has lasted me over half a year now, so considering how long it lasts, it's not terribly overpriced, as for Armani, I just started using it a month ago but the pump allows you to control how much you use and 1 1/2 pumps is enough for my full face without looking caking or obvious. Yes, it's expensive, but it's for everyday use and I've gotten so many compliments on my complexion that it's totally worth it, I'm now exploring the world of Fluid Sheers (which are shimmering highlighters) and I'm obsessing about them.

You can find Make Up For Ever in Sephora or order online, go either on the Sephora website or Make Up For Ever for store locations

meiming

I was interested in the MSFs before, but when I went to the MAC counter, it just seemed too shimmery for me. If I were to try it, where are the "highlighting" areas that I should target on my face?

Your reasoning in the foundation makes sense. I feel more tempted than ever now to seek out the Armani. Is Laura Mercier good for yellow toned skin?

I know this is a bit off tangent, but I always feel difficulty in going to a makeup counter. Especially like with the last visit, the ma ended up doing a full face on me (which I was not angling for or expecting. i just went in to try the strobe/foundation on a corner of my face). She was very sweet and helpful so even though I went in thinking just to try the foundation and strobe cream and decide after wearing for a while and seeing how I liked it, I felt obligated to buy because she put so much time in me. Now I sort of regret getting it (buyers remorse) because if the Laura Mercier TM does what you say, I would rather get that and just use one product instead of 2, especially if it lasts better. Of course I would test it first.
smiles.gif
I would hate to return the MAC though. I hear they just junk the returned products even if you never used it or opened it because they can't be sure of tampering (which I can understand but still, what a waste!).
th_dunno.gif

Latest posts