Clean and slightly dewey face

Kiseki

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiming
I was interested in the MSFs before, but when I went to the MAC counter, it just seemed too shimmery for me. If I were to try it, where are the "highlighting" areas that I should target on my face?

Your reasoning in the foundation makes sense. I feel more tempted than ever now to seek out the Armani. Is Laura Mercier good for yellow toned skin?

I know this is a bit off tangent, but I always feel difficulty in going to a makeup counter. Especially like with the last visit, the ma ended up doing a full face on me (which I was not angling for or expecting. i just went in to try the strobe/foundation on a corner of my face). She was very sweet and helpful so even though I went in thinking just to try the foundation and strobe cream and decide after wearing for a while and seeing how I liked it, I felt obligated to buy because she put so much time in me. Now I sort of regret getting it (buyers remorse) because if the Laura Mercier TM does what you say, I would rather get that and just use one product instead of 2, especially if it lasts better. Of course I would test it first.
smiles.gif
I would hate to return the MAC though. I hear they just junk the returned products even if you never used it or opened it because they can't be sure of tampering (which I can understand but still, what a waste!).
th_dunno.gif

Regarding the MSFs, you're asking the wrong guy, I look like an oil slick with them, if you're not super oily (like me), you might get an allover glow, I've used them to highlight but overall I prefer MUFE's Shine On Powder. Usually if I do any highlighting I'll go for the bridge of the nose, on top of my cheeks, my Cupid's bow, my chin and my brow bone and sometimes a triangle shaped area below my eyes, but it's usually something you should study and experiment.

Laura Mercier has a good color selection for yellow toned skin, I haven't tried another foundation of that brand other than the tinted moisturizer. I can understand you feel awkward at trying on products at a counter and then feeling obligated to buy them, I however whenever I'm unsure of a new product, I'll choose a time of day where the counter is not like super busy and will tell straight up that I'm not buying, that I'd like to get matched and then I go out in natural daylight and give my foundation and/or concealer a test drive. If you're honest about it, I don't think the MUA at the counter is going to feel cheated, I think it's a lot worse when people pretend they're going to buy and they don't.

As long as you don't do it everyday, I don't think it's something they would mind.

meiming

So I tried out the strobe/Select SPF combo today and it actually came out a little dry. So its probably all about the application and I know that's something I'll have to work with. I'll keep it and hopefully improve my techique. I like Strobe cream, I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive. Hopefully I'll find something comperable that fits my wallet a bit better. I'll definitely look into Laura Mercier soon to test out their tinted moisturizer because I see it as something handy for me as a quicker solution for days I run late. I tried out Prescriptives based on someone else's suggestion, but my skin started getting bumpy (not pimples) and feeling gross.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

lethaldesign

I have the same problem when I go into MAC &get a makeover. If they use liquid foundation, my skin feels wet ALL day. I don't know if its because they use too thick of a layer or don't let the moisturizer dry, but I HATE feeling like I have makeup on, especially a THICK layer (I could literally scrape some off with my nail). It was like it never "set" properly, even though she dusted loose powder and set with Fix+.

Anyway, I prefer Everyday Minerals mineral makeup in the Original Glo formula for a soft dewey look. You can pick up a free sample kit (that includes 3 colors of your choice of foundations, 1 concealer, 1 blush) - you just pay the shipping. I have dry skin, but I'm not a big fan of liquid foundations. I really love mineral makeup &EM is the only one that has a formula that doesn't make my face look dry.

http://www.everydayminerals.com

meiming

lethal design, that's exactly how i felt! when she was doing it, it seemed like a lot of product at the time, but i thought since i was unfamiliar with liquid foundation that it was typical. i'll try your suggestion. i like the idea of a free test kit to see if your skin is okay with the product. its funny, i only recently found out i have dry skin. all this time i thought that it was kinda oily...what a difference
tong.gif

lethaldesign

I'm a C3/NC25 so I'm a bit lighter than you, but we have the same undertones. In the winter I use Sunkissed Fair & in the summer I use Medium Summer, so you would definitely want to go with darker shades, but maybe in the same undertone sections. The swatches on this page are pretty close to the real thing: http://www.everydayminerals.com/g?t=...ram=ColorGuide

Also, if your samples dont match you exactly, the great thing is you can always mix them together to create a personal shade that could be just right for you!

Good luck!
smiles.gif

meiming

So this is what I ended up choosing. It was pretty hard, actually. If it's not right I guess I might just order another sample kit with different colors
smiles.gif

• foundation: (Cool) Cool-Medium 2.5g Intensive
  • blush or face color: B&B 2.5g
  • foundation: (Cool) Cool-Medium Summer 2.5g Original Glo
  • foundation: (Olive) Olive-Golden Medium 2.5g Original Glo
  • concealer: Mint Color Corrector 2.5g
Searching for foundations is hard!
tong.gif

meiming

Kiseki - hahaha, I wish I could get as excited as you over this
smiles.gif
Thanks everyone for your imputs. I have a feeling that soon I'll have 2 or 3 different ones to alternate with. As much as I'm starting to really get into makeup, I don't really wear it enough to justify and I gots bills ta pay too
tong.gif

lethaldesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiming
So this is what I ended up choosing. It was pretty hard, actually. If it's not right I guess I might just order another sample kit with different colors
smiles.gif

• foundation: (Cool) Cool-Medium 2.5g Intensive
  • blush or face color: B&B 2.5g
  • foundation: (Cool) Cool-Medium Summer 2.5g Original Glo
  • foundation: (Olive) Olive-Golden Medium 2.5g Original Glo
  • concealer: Mint Color Corrector 2.5g
Searching for foundations is hard!
tong.gif

I hope one of the foundations works out for you! If not, you could always try another sample kit if you like the product.
greengrin.gif
I looove their mint color corrector, its great for hiding blemishes. I havent tried the B&B, but have liked all of the faces colors I've gotten in samples. Ive actually never bought a full size one though because i have so many samples of the face colors, I never run out!