!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

X4biddenxLustX

I can't believe how unprofessional and "shady"(with changing the warning I guess you could call it regarding the silica powder on their site) CS was. That is no way for ANY business to be run. They didn't just lose one customer, they lost way more. Because this person is gonna hear about it and tell their friends and then family and so forth. Word of mouth can spread like wild fire.

I have personally never ordered from CS before but I had been thinking about ordering some unrefined shea butter off of them when I seen it listed on the site. I had heard a lot of people talk about CS and buy a lot of their products so I thought it may of been a good idea to order from a company that many others have been familiar with. But nope not now.

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaxmac
I have one brush from Coastal Scents and was planning on ordering a few more this week, but there has been something in my head telling me not to. I know it's the powder's thats caused the controversy, but who knows if their brushes are being contaminated to. SO glad I listen to the little chatter going on inside of my head.

Okay, lets get our facts straight: nothing is contaminated!

and the brushes are not made by coastal scents! they are from Crown Brush company, a company that in my books have a very good reputation, and I own 25 brushes and a brush belt from Crown Brush. Lets not start pointing fingers at things that don't need to be pointed at.

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlierae26
Or, at the very least, a warning should be issued on the package to not breath this stuff... and let us as consumers, take that risk with out harm to the company that produced this stuff. And since this is fine powder, you can easily "snort" this stuff.

When I bought my Silica powder from TKB trading, there was a warning label stating not to inhale the dust. Not sure if CS has the same label, but I heard MUFE doesn't have a warning label...

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxter

Also how can Coastal Scents sell customers Silica to use cosmetically ..when EVEN ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE..IT"S LISTED AS AN INGREDIENT TO ADD TO OTHER POWDERS. ITS LISTED AS A FILLER.. NOT AS A FINISHED COSMETIC FOR USE AS A FINISHING POWDER. So who knows how this has been processed..?
YOU RECEIVE A PLASTIC JAR WITH POWDER AND NO ACTUAL INGREDIENTS LIST FROM THEM OR WARNING LABELS.

MUFE Silica = spherical silica ~ 7 µm* (according to a MUFE MUA on HSN. Youtube video available)
TKB Trading Silica = spherical silica ~ 5 µm* (according to their website)
Costal Scents Silica = spherical silica ~ 10-14 µm* (I think, according to their website)

*average

Ingredients for all powders = silicone dioxide. What else is there to list?

meeta

Hi all, my mother creates makeup for a pretty large makeup company, so I asked her about this, figuring she might know something that would be helpful. She said that there is both commercial and cosmetic grade silica, and that cosmetic silica undergoes pretty rigorous, frequent testing, is FDA approved, and is safe to use. She said that the inhalation precautions are the same for silica as they are for talc and mica. All three are only unsafe when inhaled in extremely large doses, like if there was a misshap in a manufacturing plant and 1 ton of powder filled an enclosed space. She says that talc is actually currently more controversial than both silica and mica, as there has been a recent study where some rats were adversely affected by it.

According to her, U.S. FDA approved cosmetic grade silica and mica are perfectly safe. The problem is that because coastal scents' makeup is made in china, we can't know if its ingredients have been FDA approved. They could potentially use commercial grade silica or silica that hasnt met the US cosmetic silica standards.

Don't know if that helped much, but that's what i got
smiles.gif

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeta
The problem is that because coastal scents' makeup is made in china, we can't know if its ingredients have been FDA approved. They could potentially use commercial grade silica or silica that hasnt met the US cosmetic silica standards.

How do we know that they get their ingredients from China? I know their palettes are from China, but I don't think they say where the ingredients come from, do they?

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Hi all, my mother creates makeup for a pretty large makeup company, so I asked her about this, figuring she might know something that would be helpful. She said that there is both commercial and cosmetic grade silica, and that cosmetic silica undergoes pretty rigorous, frequent testing, is FDA approved, and is safe to use. She said that the inhalation precautions are the same for silica as they are for talc and mica. All three are only unsafe when inhaled in extremely large doses, like if there was a misshap in a manufacturing plant and 1 ton of powder filled an enclosed space. She says that talc is actually currently more controversial than both silica and mica, as there has been a recent study where some rats were adversely affected by it.

According to her, U.S. FDA approved cosmetic grade silica and mica are perfectly safe. The problem is that because coastal scents' makeup is made in china, we can't know if its ingredients have been FDA approved. They could potentially use commercial grade silica or silica that hasnt met the US cosmetic silica standards.

Don't know if that helped much, but that's what i got
smiles.gif

That is why I guess I don't buy makeup from smaller companies that aren't able to afford all that special testing. I know it still doesn't completely guarantee that whatever I'm putting on my face isn't going to cause problems but I feel like it lowers the chances of that tremendously. This may or may not be true, but it makes me feel better and a bit more reassured lol.

caffn8me

Quote:
The problem is that because coastal scents' makeup is made in china, we can't know if its ingredients have been FDA approved. They could potentially use commercial grade silica or silica that hasnt met the US cosmetic silica standards.

I've already posted a link to a full analysis of the silica used by Coastal Scents and it's well within the required purity levels. You can see it here

meeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
How do we know that they get their ingredients from China? I know their palettes are from China, but I don't think they say where the ingredients come from, do they?

My mistake, I assumed the ingredients were from China, but I don't know whether they are international or not. Her thoughts on silica etc applied to any ingredients from outside of the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
I've already posted a link to a full analysis of the silica used by Coastal Scents and it's well within the required purity levels. You can see it here

I just read the first page of this thread, then asked my mother for her analysis of silica and safety, and posted. So I hadn't looked at your link. She just checked out your link, and she agrees that the analysis meets guidelines.

Again, all I was trying to do was provide an unbiased opinion from someone with knowledge of silica and safety, and what potential hazards there could be from a company that sold silica. Seacrest out
smiles.gif

candicenoelle

Found more info on this "controversy" from The Beauty Brains

Quote:
Is Silica Powder in MakeUp Forever HD powder dangerous?

HeyHazelHazel…
Recently I’ve heard that silica powder, like Coastal Scent’s silica powder spheres can cause Silicosis. I thought it was the same thing as Make Up Forever’s HD powder, which is also listed it’s ingredients as 100% mineral silica powder. Are they really the same? Are either of them going to cause Silicosis if I breath them? Both of them float around in the air really easily when you open their jars.

The Right Brain replies:

For those of our readers who aren’t familiar with Silicosis, it’s a lung condition caused crystalline silica is inhaled. This chemical is toxic to the lining of the lung and causes a strong inflammatory response. Over time this inflammation causes the lung tissue to become thickened and scarred. Symptoms of Silicosis include: chronic dry cough, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping and nails with a bluish tint. But before you start thinking this blog is called the Bronchial Brains, let’s get back to cosmetics.

Mineral Makeup
Fortunately for those of us who love mineral makeup, the kind of silica powder used in cosmetics is not a problem. Hydrated silica (aka silicone dioxide) is a mineral used in many mineral makeup products including Makeup Forever HD and Coastal Scents. This type of silica doesn’t react with lung tissue like the crystalline form does so these products are safe to use. As Forum member Guiness pointed out, additional information on hydrated silica can be found at Cosmeticsinfo.org. So you can stop fuming about your foundation.

The Beauty Brains bottom line
We’re glad we can help clarify the difference between confusing chemicals. There are many kinds of chemicals with similar names and sometimes it takes a chemist to really tell them apart. That’s what we’re hear for!

Phillygirl

Re: PLEASE READ:about coastal scents(very bad news)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpucu
Wow that video was very interesting.I heard before that many people have many problems with their costumer service.
This is very unprofessional - Coastal Scents Shame on you
nonono.gif

I'm not so sure about the health risks but I will play it safe and just not buy it. I'm more concerned about the customer service here more than anything. Who wants to deal with that?
ssad.gif

MissResha

btw, i dont think being called ignorant is necessarily an insult. its an honest word to be used when someone is talking about something and they dont have ALL the facts. i'm not gonna stop shopping at coastal scents because of all this drama. its not like kathy called her a bitch.

spacegirl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
btw, i dont think being called ignorant is necessarily an insult. its an honest word to be used when someone is talking about something and they dont have ALL the facts. i'm not gonna stop shopping at coastal scents because of all this drama. its not like kathy called her a bitch.

i dont really think so either. its still unprofessional...kathy should have just stayed out of it.
but the girl IS ignorant in this instance.

MissResha

i dunno, if it were me, i would probably have to correct the issue too. like, if someone were blasting your product isn't safe when it is, you kinda have to say something. kathy is a presence on youtube also, so for her to not say anything would make it seem as though that chick was right (i dont know her name, sorry). she's well within her rights to rate her a 1 or reply with a rebuttal. it may seem childish/unprofessional, but i would rather her say something than not.

Phillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha

your right , it is not necessarily an insult but the way it was said/written it was meant to be an insult. This is not the 1st time this person was rude and just by how she commented on a past video shows how childish she is. I personally would not want to give someone like that my business. People are very divided over the whole issue and it is sad how many people she lost as customers and future customers.

blindpassion

Customer service aside, I think its really sad that CS has lost a ton of customers due to concerns about their product safety... even though its thoroughly been proved that there is no risk, but now they have lost many customers due to this safety scandal, due to fear mongering, and due to folks making accusations before they do the proper research.

And I feel bad for the girl who so strongly made those videos saying that they wear suits and masks, not for cosmetic grade silica... she fought pretty hard for something that she did not have hard facts about.

KristyVictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
That is why I guess I don't buy makeup from smaller companies that aren't able to afford all that special testing. I know it still doesn't completely guarantee that whatever I'm putting on my face isn't going to cause problems but I feel like it lowers the chances of that tremendously. This may or may not be true, but it makes me feel better and a bit more reassured lol.

It's not true - it all comes from the same places that require it to meet the same standards.