!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

xKiKix

^^^ I agree, I also just purchased their products not too long ago and I'll probably still purchase again... I just think that it is a little too extreme to just quit using one product brand ever again, you know?

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillygirl
what were the other videos about?

She made ordinary tutorial videos
winks.gif

amyzon

Again I'm just wondering what it is you think Coastal Scents would have to gain from legal action against some random girl?
th_dunno.gif
A couple hundred dollars from her bank account or an apology?
th_dunno.gif
th_LMAO.gif
A person expressing an opinion is not slander, and if it was, I don't think anyone would be vlogging or blogging these days, about cosmetics much less anything else. Half of YouTube would be sued! Clearly a very good argument supported by fact has been made for the safety of silica in cosmetics, however it's not as if her concerns came out of nowhere. Also, Coastal Scents doesn't even make the products they sell, just resells them, so is she really attacking their products? Nah. People will make up their own minds about whether or not to buy from CS. They annoy the crap out me with their sky-high shipping prices but I believe I will continue to be a customer because of the convenience and because I've enjoyed their products.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyzon
In regards to several comments... Legal action, really? This girl posted a YouTube video discussing her experience expressing concerns in regard to a product and Coastal Scents very apparent disregard for her inquiry; she did not begin a smear campaign against Coastal Scents. There is a huge difference. Why would she be sued for relating her experience with a company on a website? It's free speech and it would be absolutely ridiculous for her to fear legal action. She didn't run to the press and slander the company. Not to mention what exactly would Coastal Scents stand to gain from it? They're not a huge corporation with some stellar public reputation to protect, and this YouTube girl has nothing to hand over to them! Just sayin.

Actually she did,... her post instigated the entire debate of ANTI CS. So, yes, really. I am not suggesting that CS would or should sue her, but they very well could. This girl not only linked the company directly with a chemical alledgedly used in their cosmetics and intimiated that it was dangerous, she deliberately raised unproved concerns over the product safety and did it publicly knowing that. She initiated a massive upheaval over the product saftey in a select group of users, without actually having any evidence that 1) CS was even using commercial grade silica, or 2) that what they were using was harmful.

Free speech often shares the tightrope with slander. The fact is really that anything that amounts to character assasination (in this case the company) can be litigated over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnna-lee
I think that is why it wasn't dealt with better. Now that I know the facts believe me, I am now looking at this girl like she's an idiot also. Before I was like "YOU GO GIRL!!!" As you can see some are still not changeable and dead set that this is a harmful product. This will hurt CS, that girl knew full well that it would.
thmbdn.gif

Kathy could have handled it better by tagging her videos and making people's fears subside with a clear statement. I still say CS has legal grounds to go after this girl. So she gave her video ONE FREAKIN STAR... and called her what she is be it IGNORANT!!! Come on people, this girl isn't all that smart in certain respects, but she sure knows how to word things to hurt a company. That is wrong! If you don't get what I mean fast forward to the end statement and tell me she isn't on the school yard trying to destroy another girls reputation because she was picked on. You have to watch what you say about a company, this isn't simple gossip heard between friends, this is worldwide. She got this out to a lot of viewers and changed people's minds. Do not think this stops at YouTube... we are watching it, aren't we!
thmbdn.gif
I'm just glad we have smart beautiful people here to inform us, not everyone else has that luxury.

Exactly.

Suri

I used to use MUFE HD powder, and I always cough as the powders are flying all over my sink or in front of my mirror.. I never seen any of my other powders do that so I thought well, it's the powder. When I kept on coughing using it, I stopped using the powder all together... I didn't know that silica would do that..

Anyway, I don't use the MUFE HD powder anymore, instead I used Laura Mercier loose powder or my AlimaPure mineral foundation powder.

This lady is really knowledgeable, and thanks to her that I know what makes me cough whenever I use MUFE HD.

Meisje

If they do decide to take legal action against her for this particular YouTube video, I won't buy from them again. It'd just be... too ridiculous.

spacegirl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suri
I used to use MUFE HD powder, and I always cough as the powders are flying all over my sink or in front of my mirror.. I never seen any of my other powders do that so I thought well, it's the powder. When I kept on coughing using it, I stopped using the powder all together... I didn't know that silica would do that..

Anyway, I don't use the MUFE HD powder anymore, instead I used Laura Mercier loose powder or my AlimaPure mineral foundation powder.

This lady is really knowledgeable, and thanks to her that I know what makes me cough whenever I use MUFE HD.

not really...

cherryice

I don't really think any beauty product is *good* for you, outside of improving self-esteem of course. Even the mineral cosmetics contain silica. So I take this whole thing with a grain of toxic salt (I couldn't resist, caffn8me!). If you head over to that Skindeep database, you'll find that almost everything is a carcinogen according to them.

That said, Coastal Scents is a just a back-alley unprofessional company. I've heard of many complaints outside of this girl and makeupsquare. One blogger received a package from them containing the mineral pressing fluid and found it leaked all over. She apparently had a hard time getting a refund from them. And that's just one of the stories. Professionalism is not CS's strong suit and something tells me it never will be.

I've bought from them twice in the past, without issue, but the products were crap. So while I recognize this girl's video is a little misguided, I do strongly disagree with how they treated her and they will not be receiving any more of my business.

The 88 palette was awful, BTW. I have no idea what to do with it.

-KT-

I think the most appalling aspect for me is how they treated the other girl who did an unfavorable review of their brushes. You're not going to get a stellar review every time, get over it.

CreamPuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Actually she did,... her post instigated the entire debate of ANTI CS. So, yes, really. I am not suggesting that CS would or should sue her, but they very well could. This girl not only linked the company directly with a chemical alledgedly used in their cosmetics and intimiated that it was dangerous, she deliberately raised unproved concerns over the product safety and did it publicly knowing that. She initiated a massive upheaval over the product saftey in a select group of users, without actually having any evidence that 1) CS was even using commercial grade silica, or 2) that what they were using was harmful.

Free speech often shares the tightrope with slander. The fact is really that anything that amounts to character assasination (in this case the company) can be litigated over.

Please stop talking. Thank you.
greengrin.gif

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamPuffer
Please stop talking. Thank you.
greengrin.gif

You've got to be joking. Don't make me link "How to behave on an internet forum".

ohnna-lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Man...wow this is still going....

Yep, break out the bikinis babe, it be Jello wrestlin tyme!
lol.gif

CreamPuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
Right back at'ya girl
winks.gif

Ok....that was rude even for me. I'm sorry for being such a meanie.
cry.gif

As far as all this talk about how CC is going to take a huge hit in their profit department. Yea, ok! If they take a hit, it will be mostly because of their unprofessional behavior. This isn't the first time they behaved this way and because of this whole silica issue, more and more people are becoming aware of this fact. Also how many people were buying this $4 silica powder to begin with? I doubt it brought much profit to the company and they basically have been making money out of their palettes/brushes to begin with. Which by the way are on ebay for cheaper.
th_wink3.gif
They were bound to loose customer as the same products they sell, have been (recently) flooding ebay.

Also this whole talk about legal action is silly. There is always someone who has to take it one step further and start talking about lawsuits. Let's not give those jerks at CC any ideas please. Not too mention, it will be a waste of their time and the whole thing is just taking it too far.

In conclusion, to all you "I love CC and Kathy is so wonderful"........enjoy your free stuff suckers. Hope that $20 palette is worth selling your soul, well (_I_) anyway.
devil.gif
th_devil.gif

Man, I love these smileys. hahahaha

panda0410

I dont think anyone was debating the lack of professionalism.. we pretty much all agree on that.

As for lawsuits, the youtube poster herself was the FIRST person to publicly mention that she was considering contacting a lawyer and she says it in her video for reference.

Issues stemmed from that, similar to the whole silica debate it too was debated. TBH I really doubt we are giving them any ideas that either of them havent already thought of... if this were the case she would never have mentioned seeking a lawyer to begin with.

jaclynashley

THANK YOU!
I'd rather dish out $40 and get SAFE silica powder if I ever do buy it.
I will never buy from CS,they lost 2 customers because my Aunt almost bought from them too...
Also, they have a really freaky warning when you check out like how their stuff may be harmful?!?!
I thought it was about the red eyeshadow in the palettes but whatever,saving money on makeup no thanks if I'm going to risk my health!

astronaut

*sigh* Some people just want to ignore the fact that there's a difference between crystalline silica and amorphous silica.

READ. READ. READ.

And after that, there's the argument that silica is not safe in a pure concentration. It needs to be diluted. What is the MUFE powder then?
th_wallbash.gif

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MUFE SILICA POWDER AND THE OTHER POWDERS (CS, TKB) IS PARTICLE SIZE.
noworry.gif