!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclynashley
I'd rather dish out $40 and get SAFE silica powder if I ever do buy it.

I thought it was about the red eyeshadow in the palettes but whatever,saving money on makeup no thanks if I'm going to risk my health!

Two questions;

• What is SAFE silica powder? Please name some and explain why it is safe but Coastal Scents silica powder isn't
  • What risk is there to your health from Coastal Scents silica powder that isn't present in other silica powders such as MUFE HD?

jaclynashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Two questions;

• What is SAFE silica powder? Please name some and explain why it is safe but Coastal Scents silica powder isn't
  • What risk is there to your health from Coastal Scents silica powder that isn't present in other silica powders such as MUFE HD?

Hmm well I'm sorry if I offended you but I read on a site that because the MUFE has a smaller particle size and isn't hazardous.
But I really don't need to explain myself to anyone,I'm just going to look out for my own safety and I doubt I would even purchase the MUFE powder.
Anyways the hazard on their site when you purchase items states that they are selling hazardous materials to your eyes and face,If it is indeed hazardous why are they selling it?!?!
Not everyone reads the agreement,take a look at it sometime you may think twice about purchasing their products if not for their service.

astronaut

Quote:
Hmm well I'm sorry if I offended you but I read on a site that because the MUFE has a smaller particle size and isn't hazardous.

I'd actually be more concerned the smaller the particle size is. Not that the MUFE is dangerous since it is in the micron range. When it gets to the low nanometre range is when I've read it can get dangerous. Just saying.

Quote:
Anyways the hazard on their site when you purchase items states that they are selling hazardous materials to your eyes and face,If it is indeed hazardous why are they selling it?!?!

To save their butts just in case someone does something stewpid, like make their own custom pigment eye drops or something.

Buying a plate from Walmart can cause cancer. Nail polish at Ulta can cause cancer. They all have signs warning so in the store. Walking through a parking lot can cause cancer.

caffn8me

Quote:

You haven't offended me at all but you've got very confused. Smaller particle size, as astronaut says, is more dangerous, not less. I'm a scientist. I used to teach a class in laboratory safety and first aid at my old university. None of the available evidence supports your claim that smaller particle size is less dangerous.

Quote:
But I really don't need to explain myself to anyone,I'm just going to look out for my own safety and I doubt I would even purchase the MUFE powder.

In order for you to look out for your own safety you have to be able to interpret evidence properly and filter out claims for which there is no evidence. Go and have a look at the actual evidence rather than postings on web forums by people who don't have a clue.

Quote:

You are in the USA. You are 185 times more likely to be shot dead (in the whole of the USA) than you are to die from a silica related disease through occupational (i.e. industrial) exposure to silica powder.

You are 252 times more likely to be killed in an automobile accident than you are to die from industrial exposure to silica.

Those facts (with links to references) are here.

If you are worried at all about breathing silica from cosmetics you must also leave the USA for somewhere that has significantly lower automobile and gun ownership. To do anything less shows that you haven't understood the real health risks of using silica powder as a cosmetic at all.

I shall repeat;

THERE IS NO HEALTH RISK TO CONSUMERS WHO USE COSMETIC SILICA POWDER SENSIBLY.

If you snort it, you're on your own!

alka1

What I didn't like about the MUFE HD powder is the fact that a big cloud of powder would burst out each time I used it (even though I was extra careful when applying it.) It tends to fly everywhere. It also left a weird metallic smell that would linger in the air for a few minutes each time.

I don't like having to hold my breath each time I apply a loose powder. I don't feel like I have to hold my breath with any of the other powders I have...

I understand there's other things around me that are hazardous to my health and pose a big risk - but there's something about microscopic particles coming from my makeup and flying into my lungs that I find disturbing

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by alka1
I don't like having to hold my breath each time I apply a loose powder. I don't feel like I have to hold my breath with any of the other powders I have...

I understand there's other things around me that are hazardous to my health and pose a big risk - but there's something about microscopic particles flying into my lungs that I find slightly disturbing :/

What about holding your breath when your head goes underwater in the swimming pool? Don't like having to do that?

Inhaling water can be very dangerous indeed. I would be amazed if there weren't more drownings in the USA every year than deaths from silica exposure. I haven't checked the facts yet so may be wrong.

OK - just checked. I was right. Deaths from drowning in the USA in 1999; 3,529 [Data source]

Deaths from industrial exposure to silica in USA in 2004; 166. [Data source]

Please let's get a sense of perspective about the real risks associated with silica powder.

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
What about holding your breath when your head goes underwater in the swimming pool? Don't like having to do that?

Inhaling water can be very dangerous indeed. I would be amazed if there weren't more drownings in the USA every year than deaths from silica exposure. I haven't checked the facts yet so may be wrong.

OK - just checked. I was right. Deaths from drowning in the USA in 1999; 3,529 [Data source]

Deaths from industrial exposure to silica in USA in 2004; 166. [Data source]

Please let's get a sense of perspective about the real risks associated with silica powder.

I was just stating my opinion.. I'm not going to go into statistics, facts, and figures. For the record, I'm not sure I would compare drownings to silica exposure. and 166 deaths seems like a lot to me anyhow

Indeed I don't like having to hold my breath underwater. I wish i could swim freely like a mermaid

ohnna-lee

Can anyone post all the make up that has this silica in it so that the consumers can be better aware and not buy these items
greengrin.gif

Thank you in advance.

ohnna-lee

oh, and food also, I read somewhere in this long ass thread that food has silica in it also.

Much appreciated!

Thanks again for your time
kissy.gif

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnna-lee
Can anyone post all the make up that has this silica in it so that the consumers can be better aware and not buy these items
greengrin.gif

Thank you in advance.

Ummm... are you trying to prove a point? lol

ohnna-lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
Ummm... are you trying to prove a point? lol

I hope I didn't use to many big words and kept it rather brief for those busy folks.

Septemba

Trying to get her other two vids about it to load.

You know I think it's pretty obvious she's being vindictive if she herself says that in her first vid she was singing the praises of CS and being open-minded about the silica, and then all of a sudden goes on to stress the possible dangers of it in her second vid after they 'attacked' her.

I've never bought from Coastal Scents. But there are nearly 1,000 comments on that video and nearly all of them are claiming to boycott CS... She has over 3,000 subscribers. I think it would be a different story if she was vlogging about silica in cosmetics in general, but it's been made to look that CS is the posterchild for silica.

So I'm really curious about what their next move will be? I would think that if she's spreading misinformation about CS (such as the spiel on the info section of YouTube - PLEASE WATCH!!!: Coastal Scents Silica IS NOT Make Up For Ever HD Powder (can't link without embedding the vid for some reason) and it is hurting them financially then they are well within their rights to take it to the next level.

wifey806

i bet a lot of the people "concerned with silica" are some of the same people who use MAC Glitter on their eyes, and body-only Pigments on their lips. It's like REALLY?? What doesn't have a warning label these days?!

laguayaca

^^^i know right...I have HD powder but rarely use it because its leaves me white spots when i take picture it looks like i was just done doing crack lol...so is it good or is it bad im still confused!

KristyVictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnna-lee
greengrin.gif

Thank you in advance.

Have you missed the entire point of this thread? Silica used in cosmetic products is *not* hazardous!

KristyVictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suri
This lady is really knowledgeable, and thanks to her that I know what makes me cough whenever I use MUFE HD.

That's not true, *any* particle that gets in your throat will make you cough, it is not because there is silica used in this powder. Please read the entirety of this thread.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyVictoria
Have you missed the entire point of this thread? Silica used in cosmetic products is *not* hazardous!

Ah, sweetie - that ladys post was made rather tongue in cheek
winks.gif
It wasnt meant literally
smiles.gif