Collection vs. using?

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybun
"if i don't buy it now and it gets discontinued, i'm going to regret it later"

I think that is exactly the MAC strategy for their frequent LE launches, to get people to buy more because it's exclusive and won't be around forever. I try not to buy into that because by now we know, down the line MAC will realease a "new" LE e/s or l/s that will look exactly the same.

I buy stuff I use, but some of the things I have purchased, I don't use very frequently.

amelia.jayde

i do always buy things with the intention of using them, but it doesn't always work out. for example, i bought rose pigment and thought i would use it pretty often, but i just don't.

ChanelAddicted

I'm a sucker for pretty things... I try so hard to buy stuff i'll use, but stuff falls throught once in a while lol

I was sooo good with Flastronic! My husband was proud! lol

eowyn797

swapping has saved my wallet, seriously. there's a lot less guilt involved when i can swap away the things i bought unthinkingly in the past for new stuff. that way i don't have to worry so much about whether or not i'll really use it - if i find i'm not using it and it's not unique enough to keep just for the sake of having it, i can just swap it away for something else.

i do buy things i know i have dupes or similar shades in, but i try really hard not to buy anything just because it's LE. i haven't bought an LE quad since Take Wing, and before that it was Thunder Eyes. the last collection i bought more than 1 thing from was Raquel Welch.

redambition

i only buy stuff i know (or i think) i will use.

i may not use it often, but it will come out once in a while.

i only buy things i will use, and i try not to buy dupes, but i have an awful lot of pink and red lippies. i skip entire collections. i bought nothing from c-shock.

flowerhead

Well, as far as collecting goes, collecting MAC is pretty damn fabulous! But I know what suits me and I'll only buy something if I really love it and i'll use it alot.

AppleDiva

I buy products that work well for me and I will purchase extra of e/s that I love. I have one extra pigment from the D'Bohemia line. I realize that I only need one pigment...

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I think that is exactly the MAC strategy for their frequent LE launches, to get people to buy more because it's exclusive and won't be around forever. I try not to buy into that because by now we know, down the line MAC will realease a "new" LE e/s or l/s that will look exactly the same.

I buy stuff I use, but some of the things I have purchased, I don't use very frequently.

Yeah it is so a mind game, but it is one that is working on my unfortunately. Like I said earlier, I only buy things I like and will use, but I still find myself wanting to collect things, like the Sheer Shimmer Powders or the Iridescent Pressed Powders. That way I can collect all of them, and they are still something I can use. Other than that I can't rationalize simply collecting for the sake of collecting, but I love the idea of having a massive collection of makeup that I use. If a color is totally wrong for me (esp. a lip gloss or lip stick) I just will not buy it, no matter how cute the packaging is. And if it is a matter of getting things from collections, just to say who have something from XYZ Collection, there are usually enough things to choose from so that you can find one that is flattering.
If I were a billionaire maybe I would open a MAC Museum and even find a way to buy the collection displays, but I'm not, so I can't afford to obtain all the MAC in the world (and just thinking about all of the hard to find items one would have to hunt down gives me a migrane); I still want to come close though
thmbup.gif

chipmunkvoice

im more of a collector ... which totally sucks for my side pocket but i just cant say no to pretty colors *o* iloveeyeshadows
i hardly use any makeup. Everyday i just curl my lashes, prime and mascara them up, add a bit of lip gloss and im ready to go. A bit of a pity seeing that my makeup collection doesnt get flaunted as much as it probably should but um... T-T i buy things "just in case" i need to use them later on???

jenii

I have so much makeup, that it's hard to use everything on a regular basis. Some stuff goes months without being used. But, I do use it. Even if it's only on occasion.

YOOTOPiA

everytime a new color story came out i walked up to my fav ma and said "i want one of everything"
i bought from the standpoint of collecting...
now i've grown out of this phase (i'm assuming retail therapy was the cause of all the madness)

most of the mac makeup i use are the non le products
the le sits pretty by itself

but now its up in the for sale thread!!! =) (shameless plug)