Color Seasons

MandyVanHook

How many of you go by your color season when shopping for cosmetics (or clothing for that matter), or does concept of limiting yourself to certain colors feel too old fashioned and outdated for you? Maybe you don't believe in the color season theory at all! If you do use your color season when shopping, just how much does it influence your purchases? Do you only purchase the colors that fit within your color season, or do you make exceptions and break the "rules" from time to time?

For me, as a bright/clear winter, I am supposed to gravitate towards bright tones and high contrasts in both my makeup and my clothing. I can attest to the fact that brights work really well on me and never appear "too much". Candy Yum Yum harmonizes with my coloring and doesn't appear at all neon on me despite its reputation, and like other bright winters, muted shades aren't typically the best match for my coloring so I have to be more careful with them. I definitely break the rules quite frequently, though, because I don't like being tied down or limited in my choices, but sometimes it is nice being guided in the right direction nonetheless.

So, what is your color season, and do you think it is worth following?

Here are a couple of sites that might help:
http://diaryofacolouraddict.blogspot.com/2013/07/counterpoint-seasons-freedom-of-choice.html (source for the images above)
http://www.truth-is-beauty.com/
http://seasonalcolor.yuku.com/

There are many other resources available online as well.

Dolly Snow

The idea of limiting myself to certain colors is ridiculous imo! I buy what I want when I want. Any color, anytime, whenever. I have never sat there and based a purchase off what my color season is. My grandmother and mother always taught me to wear what I feel good in.

MandyVanHook

My grandmother and mother always taught me to wear what I feel good in.
We all know that's how you roll, Dolly, and I think that's awesome! I have never limited myself, either, and I try to expand my range of colors as much as possible. It's a big hobby for me haha.

Not everyone is so fearless, though, and enjoy a little push in the right direction, especially those who don't feel amazing in every color under the sun like some of us do. Plus, it helps some people narrow down their wishlists when they know what colors suit them the best.

MandyVanHook

I'm more or less the same way. You get to try and find a few products that may not be for your "season" I'm all for experimentation.
I think the makeup hoarder in me refuses to limit myself as well...gotta collect them all!
lmao.gif

Dolly Snow

We all know that's how you roll, Dolly, and I think that's awesome! I have never limited myself, either, and I try to expand my range of colors as much as possible.  It's a big hobby for me haha.   Not everyone is so fearless, though, and enjoy a little push in the right direction, especially those who don't feel amazing in every color under the sun like some of us do.  Plus, it helps some people narrow down their wishlists when they know what colors suit them the best.
Agreed it does help the not so bold people pick. As my sister is in the field of beauty. The teaches always tried to get all the girls and guys to follow said color season wheel. Some followed it and showed their clients in the right direction. But the color season wheel is so old fashioned. My grandmother used to talk about it and try and follow it. Well some of the shades did suit her from her area. The rest did not. In my opinion every color suits every person. No one should limit themselves. But the subject isn't about what suits a person. It all goes back to how comfortable a person is in the color picked. For example super pale gals are supposed to be able to wear baby pinks and have no issues. Well some would say the baby pinks, well they looked good to the outside world. But would feel that to themselves the color was horrendous and washed them out. It all goes back to being comfortable.

Dominique33

We are a bit complied to do so because clearly Fall collections are not Summer ones but I love buying both the 4 Seasons collections and other products. Burgundy will be one of the Fall 2014 colours well that is not really MY colour. I love red, pink and practically all colours except a few ones ( I hate yellow for some reason ) and I will purchase deep red shades as usual. I purchased a Red lippie from Illamasqua ( a brand I have been admiring for years ), Summer 2014 is more a coral/pink/ summer well never mind I am buying red lipsticks and other colours too. At the moment I am wearing light shades but in a week or so I will probably switch to bold and vibrant colours. With the exception of yellow, I do love all colours ! :)

MandyVanHook

For example super pale gals are supposed to be able to wear baby pinks and have no issues. Well some would say the baby pinks, well they looked good to the outside world. But would feel that to themselves the color was horrendous and washed them out. It all goes back to being comfortable.
Exactly. Baby pinks are often a no go for me as well, and I'm pale! Of course I'm a bright winter, so softer shades in general aren't usually recommended for me. However, neither are really vampy dark plum lips (more for dark winters) or oranges (more for springs and autumns) and I love both, and I feel pretty in both.

Dolly Snow

Exactly.  Baby pinks are often a no go for me as well, and I'm pale!  Of course I'm a bright winter, so softer shades in general aren't usually recommended for me.  However, neither are really vampy dark plum lips (more for dark winters) or oranges (more for springs and autumns) and I love both, and I feel pretty in both.
I guess I lucked out then. I have always been told I was the rare all season.

MandyVanHook

Also, it's hard to fit everyone into a category. Not everyone fits perfectly into one category. Then there are people like my mother in law, though, who is a summer through and through (I would say most likely a soft summer, specifically), who seriously can't pull off bright makeup. It just never works for her no matter what she tries. It always just turns into this bright feature that seems plastered to her face but is never harmonious with her coloring. The makeup wears her rather than the other way around. On the other hand, with the right soft shades, she is one of the most beautiful women I know.

Kaidan

This is such an interesting and cool topic, Mandy Van Hook. :)

I guess I'm light summer/bright winter judging by the colors I use from the color wheel/chart. I'm all for blue, black, grey, coral, orange, aqua, turquoise, mint, green, pink, taupe, and some purple. Despite liking green and purple, I barely have any clothing and makeup from those colors, but purple is a tricky color for me because it can either look good or clash with my skin tone. Red is a color that I only use in lipstick and rarely on clothes. Burgundy, dark purple, and plum are colors that I usually avoid at all cost because on clothes they make me look older and bruised when worn as makeup. Another color I rarely use is yellow but that's because I hate it, however, the only yellow tones that suit me are pastel and Pikachu yellow. Earthy tones such as terracotta, copper, bronze, and dark green are colors that I always ignore. Brown and beige/cream are hit or miss on eye makeup but I usually avoid them on clothes. I live in a country in which there's no winter and the dominant season is summer, so it's rare seeing people wearing fall and winter colors unless they travel overseas.

MandyVanHook

This is such an interesting and cool topic, Mandy Van Hook. :) I guess I'm light summer/bright winter judging by the colors I use from the color wheel/chart.  I'm all for blue, black, grey, coral, orange, aqua, turquoise, mint, green, pink, taupe, and some purple.  Despite liking green and purple, I barely have any clothing and makeup from those colors, but purple is a tricky color for me because it can either look good or clash with my skin tone.  Red is a color that I only use in lipstick and rarely on clothes.  Burgundy, dark purple, and plum are colors that I usually avoid at all cost because on clothes they make me look older and bruised when worn as makeup.  Another color I rarely use is yellow but that's because I hate it, however, the only yellow tones that suit me are pastel and Pikachu yellow.  Earthy tones such as terracotta, copper, bronze, and dark green are colors that I always ignore.  Brown and beige/cream are hit or miss on eye makeup but I usually avoid them on clothes.  I live in a country in which there's no winter and the dominant season is summer, so it's rare seeing people wearing fall and winter colors unless they travel overseas.
Thanks! It's fun to play around with even if I don't typically follow the "rules". What foundation shade are you in MAC? Would you say you are more warm or cool toned? Also, what color are your eyes and hair? I'm kind of getting a Spring vibe based on some of the colors you mentioned.

LiliV

Im definitely all over w my colors. I think I'm technically a Light Spring, I feel really lucky with my skintone bc I look good in warm tones and I look good in cool tones (I personally think cool tones are harder for a lot of people to pull off. Not like a blue based red lip but I mean like the Daphne Guinness Interior Life quad with the blueish Cremesheenglass. I love how that combo looks on me!) I'm around NW10 but I also have a tiny hint of olive which I get from my grandma so it made me like a cool toned olive if that makes sense? Lol I think that's what helps me wear both sides of the spectrum so easily. The one color I can't wear is brown lip colors. They make me look like I don't know what lol a lipstick can't even be the slightest bit brown, I'll look crazy! I'm also not big on green eyeshadows bc I have green eyes so sometimes I think it's just too much green going on. I'll wear greens still just not all the time. My fav shades to wear for makeup are Eyeshadows- golds, creams, warm browns, mint Lips- corals, reds, red based deep purples

veronikawithak

I posted about this a few months ago but I'm a Soft Summer and those muted colors are definitely the most flattering on me. :) I wear makeup to enhance my features so brights and bolds are out and I'm happy to leave them behind. Whenever I try to put them on I look in the mirror and cringe before taking them right back off again lol!

MandyVanHook

Im definitely all over w my colors. I think I'm technically a Light Spring, I feel really lucky with my skintone bc I look good in warm tones and I look good in cool tones (I personally think cool tones are harder for a lot of people to pull off. Not like a blue based red lip but I mean like the Daphne Guinness Interior Life quad with the blueish Cremesheenglass. I love how that combo looks on me!) I'm around NW10 but I also have a tiny hint of olive which I get from my grandma so it made me like a cool toned olive if that makes sense? Lol I think that's what helps me wear both sides of the spectrum so easily. The one color I can't wear is brown lip colors. They make me look like I don't know what lol a lipstick can't even be the slightest bit brown, I'll look crazy! I'm also not big on green eyeshadows bc I have green eyes so sometimes I think it's just too much green going on. I'll wear greens still just not all the time. My fav shades to wear for makeup are Eyeshadows- golds, creams, warm browns, mint Lips- corals, reds, red based deep purples
Yes, I definitely know what you mean. You can definitely fall on the cooler side of olive. That's a very pretty skin tone.

MandyVanHook

I posted about this a few months ago but I'm a Soft Summer and those muted colors are definitely the most flattering on me. :) I wear makeup to enhance my features so brights and bolds are out and I'm happy to leave them behind. Whenever I try to put them on I look in the mirror and cringe before taking them right back off again lol!
Exactly the same as my mother in law. She is a soft summer and really can't make the brights work. The sorts of shades that are my favorites turn into clown makeup as soon as they are applied to her. I would be so sad. I love my brights!

allthingsglam

The idea of limiting myself to certain colors is ridiculous imo! I buy what I want when I want. Any color, anytime, whenever. I have never sat there and based a purchase off what my color season is. My grandmother and mother always taught me to wear what I feel good in.
I agree I feel the same way

Latest posts