Comparing NYX to MAC

astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet
i've read reviews on makeup alley that say the trios are less pigmented than the singles. but i have yet to try any myself.

Ack. I'll be sure to get the singles next time then.

jenii

Quote:
i've read reviews on makeup alley that say the trios are less pigmented than the singles. but i have yet to try any myself.

I haven't noticed that, myself. I have like four or five trios, and a bunch of singles, but I never noticed any difference between them as far as pigment goes. But, I wasn't looking for it, so maybe that's why.

milamonster

i must admit that i dont think they are comparable. In my experience, some shadows from nyx show up, but some of them are simply not pigmented enough to show up on my skin like white, gray, orange, yellow etc, whereas when i have tried those colors that are similar in mac they have. I think NYX is a great brand but I do not feel their shadows are pigmented enough for someone who's complexion is as dark as mine.

milamonster

Quote:

i have never tried the singles, i have the trios
what i wrote above was directed towards the trios though... maybe ill try out the singles nex ttime

GothicGirl

NYX came to my town last month. Before that, I had an eyesahdow trio which I ordered online — and was very pleased with it, good pigmentation, nice colors, smooth texture and easy blending. Now that I can test the products, I´m shopping at NYX quite often, hehe. I bought one Ultimate Pearl e/s, with great color payoff and texture. Comparing to MAC, I think both the trio and the single e/s measure up quite well. After that, I´ve got two jumbo eye pencils, which are great, they are very smooth, long-lasting and work wonderfully as e/s bases, with more color options than MAC; the only point that makes Shadesticks better is that MAC´s s/s crease less than the Jumbo Eye Pencils. I´ve also got the Concealer in a Jar in lavender, and I´m in love. The texture just glides on skin, and stays put without creasing. I´m definetely buying another concealer, this time on my skintone, since, of course, lavender is just a correcting color. Cán´t compare to MAC concealers, I don´t own any

MiCHiE

I find that the trios are chalkier than the singles. I have 2 singles and 3 trios and there is definitely a difference in the quality of them.

shriekingviolet

I may have just had good luck with choosing trios, but the two I have (one is all greens, the other has an copper/orange, a bronzey brown and a deep pink) are of similar quality in terms of pigmentation and texture to some of MAC's frosts. I also didn't notice them being any poorer in quality to my single of tropical.

Karen_B

I have a few NYX shadows and I love them all. Unfortunately they aren't sold in my country so I depend on friends going to the US and doing my shopping for me, LOL!
Anyway, I've heard that Rust is very similar to MAC Cranberry, but since I don't own Cranberry I can't compare them myself.

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneplum
WOW! thanks 4 posting this lani.. i've heard u talk about NYX on lj b4, but i've never seen what they look like! they're very pretty and look very pigmented!

They have them at Ulta...you know, the one on Kendall Drive next to DSW....
thmbup.gif

lovelylisa

i like NYX better than Milani for some reason. i have the singles and they are pigmented and the texture is really smooth. Milani for me is a hit or miss.

anaaliyahfan03

i just purchased my first nyx eyeshadows online and got them yesterday in the mail and i am very very pleased..mac is not that expensive but it aint cheap either and nyx is truly another brand that i will keep buying in eyeshadows..i got the singles by the way..i always buy their lipglosses though..i almost love them more than mac (ALMOST!)
smiles.gif

Karen_B

I bought MAC Twinks the other day, and then as I got home and tried it on it felt kinda familiar... so I swatched it on my hand and compared it to NYX Walnut Bronze, and they are sorta similar. NYX is lighter, but a close enough match. (I still love my Twinks though!)

sleepyhead

i find that a lot of NYX shadows & pigments do not stick to the skin very well (just like MUFE star powders), so they do not look pigmented without a base

mzkrizzlerocks

Thanks for the swatches.

I curently don't own any NYX makeup but, seeing these swatches makes me wanna get some ASAP.

I'll probably get some today. Hopefully they have some here. Thanks agian!

red

I just got into NYX. They are highly pigmented, but you need to use a base such as UDPP to make them last all day long
smiles.gif

Naturally, they don't have the color nuances Mac does, but they sure are pretty.

I purchased the little "pigments" in the bottle [loose pearl eyeshadow] (see pic below)

I swatched the following colors (L2R):
Rust
Yellow
Fanta
Orange
Penny

outdoor no flash

indoor no flash

here's a photo of what I bought:

100_2614.jpg

100_2616.jpg

yummy411

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
Okay so I was driving around new places around my area that I never bothered to venture off to today because I was bored and I went into this shopping center/plaza. They had three of those forever 21 wannabe stores right next to each other and the first one I walked into turned out to have every single NYX product on the website (except for the train case)! The singles were 3.99 and the trios were also 3.99 so of course I got the trio. I got three of them. I liked the colours when I applied them to my hand but now I have to see if they look good on my eyes. I'll let ya'll know and maybe post pics!
smiles.gif

I also have a question, is there a difference in quality between the trios and the singles??

yes, the trios can be chalkier and more matte.. depending on the color... but can give better color if you use a heavy hand.

the singles color payoff is like a veluxe pearl, but rubbing my finger on the single has a grainy/chalkier feel.... which contributes to fall out. jmo.

here are a few swatches from my blog
http://yummy411.blogspot.com/2007/08...yeshadows.html

(click on entries, bottom left)

GlamDiaries

I absolutely love NYX! IMO it is the best drugstore brand and I often feel that it's just too damn cheap. They offer way more than what we pay. Such great quality and good amount of pigmentation. I love their cream blushes. Try the one in the shade Glow. Omg such a gorg colour! It's like a hot barbie pink! <3

Admin edit to remove blog link - link must be posted within your signature.

Latest posts