Confess - you paid over retail and you'd do it again

sbetsy

I've seriously tried to avoid it, but I find myself considering paying over retail for items I really want. For example, before Xmas I didn't have extra money with which to buy myself the olive brush set, even though I really wanted it. I just found one for sale for $50 and bought it. I also bought a porcelain pink for $30. I'm considering a shimpagne for $40. You get the picture.

I've found some bargains out there too and ended up paying less than retail at my CCO or thanks to some sweetie on LJ who was just doing a CP and not trying to profit... (coco, deckchair, provence, leisuretime, lucky green, rayothon, copperfield).

So...confess - how much over retail have you paid? For what? Was it worth it? Now, consider that one item that you wished you had purchased (parrot, stereo rose, whatever) - how much would you pay for it?

user2

I bought my beloved Flash of Flesh Lipglass for $19.50
I bought a Stereo Rose for almost $30
But I had a lot of great deals on Ebay too....!
I got an Hot Poppy Eye Kohl for $3, a Copperfield Glitter Eye Liner for $3....I could go on like this forever!!

pumpkincat210

I got my Liza pm quad for $70. It was worth it. I like all the colors and just looove kicky blue.
I wish I got an all girl pigment, but i'd only pay retail now.

Isis

$25 for Petalwink e/s
icon_eek.gif
The pink LE color from the Asia exclusive Flutterfly quad.

:lamer:

This has been my only insane splurge.

user3

funny, I will buy and buy but I won't pay over retail.
I am like that with everything. I get most of my m/u online and I won't buy it unless I get free shipping or have a product code.

joytheobscure

I bought lucky green on ebay I think I only paid a $1 over retail though. I also bought belle azure on ebay for over retail...I think I'd pay quite a bit for a back up flash of flesh.

Shawna

I paid $50 for a jewel eye palette, but considering that they retailed for $42 and then add on pst and gst, I think it's only a couple of dollars over retail. Oh, that included shipping too
smiles.gif

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
I paid $50 for a jewel eye palette, but considering that they retailed for $42 and then add on pst and gst, I think it's only a couple of dollars over retail. Oh, that included shipping too
smiles.gif

Was it the one with parrot?
Here's how I feel about palettes and brush sets and such. You probably got what, 6 shades in that palette? Plus a little brush? 6 shades, even at pro pan prices, would be $60, $90 in pot form. And the brush would be another $18 (but it would be longer). So $50 isn't such a bad deal. Especially considering the $42 retail price. So that's not too bad.

Me, with my $50 brush set that retailed for a little over $40 - It has 5 brushes that would retail for $18 or so (more or less). So, it's worth $90? That means that $50 isn't outrageous. Am I totally ridiculous?

Shawna

Yep, it was the one with parrot. I wasn't appalled by the price so I guess it was worth it to me. As for the brush sets, they retailed for $55 here and I still think they were a great deal. I got 5 brushes out of it and a cute bag to carry them in. I think you got a pretty good deal too
smiles.gif
Oh, I also justify buying premade quads that way too. $42.50, but I get 4 shadows which are $16.50 each normally so it makes sense to buy the premade ones if you don't have the colours.

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
Yep, it was the one with parrot. I wasn't appalled by the price so I guess it was worth it to me. As for the brush sets, they retailed for $55 here and I still think they were a great deal. I got 5 brushes out of it and a cute bag to carry them in. I think you got a pretty good deal too
smiles.gif
Oh, I also justify buying premade quads that way too. $42.50, but I get 4 shadows which are $16.50 each normally so it makes sense to buy the premade ones if you don't have the colours.

Seriously, if it was the one with parrot, you got an amazing price! Personally I'm not into blue shadows. I'll experiment with them and I'll wear navy ones but I just haven't gotten into bright blues in a big way yet. But even I understand what a treasure you got in that palette. Good find!

The brush sets retailed for $55? Huh. Where are you? I can't remember exactly how much they retailed for here in Florida, but I don't think it was that much. Yes - I'm the same way with premade quads. I think I'll even get Laze.

Ereticka

I was going to get Ruby Red pigment off ebay for about $60.00 CA. My BF was getting it for me (then I"d pay him back) and its been over a month so we're getting refunded. But yeah, I was more than willing then to pay a stupid amount of money, and I'm willing now....I'm such a mac addict.....

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereticka
I was going to get Ruby Red pigment off ebay for about $60.00 CA. My BF was getting it for me (then I"d pay him back) and its been over a month so we're getting refunded. But yeah, I was more than willing then to pay a stupid amount of money, and I'm willing now....I'm such a mac addict.....

Sounds like he's a pretty nice guy! I'm sorry that the purchase didn't work out. Yup, we're hopeless.

Ereticka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbetsy
Sounds like he's a pretty nice guy! I'm sorry that the purchase didn't work out. Yup, we're hopeless.

Yeah, culture bloom is going to hurt the bank account, maybe I should get another job...... :p

user4

i cant spend over 200 bucks in one trip to MAC and not think twice about spending that much but i refuse to pay a penny over retail for anything!!! as much of a collector as i can be, it's just not in me!

Dreamergirl3

I buy LE items or discontinued ones from collections back over retail. Anything that is permanent, or that I can get whenever, I always pay retail or less. Like Primpin Kitty Golden, I bought for 25, but it was d/c'ed and I reeeeeally wanted it
smiles.gif

sbetsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamergirl3
I buy LE items or discontinued ones from collections back over retail. Anything that is permanent, or that I can get whenever, I always pay retail or less. Like Primpin Kitty Golden, I bought for 25, but it was d/c'ed and I reeeeeally wanted it
smiles.gif

I's amazing what supply and demand can do...
I'm a behaviorist and we would call d/c'ing an item "increasing the establishing operation that makes that item a reinforcer."

Jude

I will sooo pay over retail for an item that I want that is unavailable in stores. Right 'Nessa?
winks.gif

I got the following for above retail and have no regrets...
Parrot
Shimpagne
DeMenthe

michy_mimi

I bought one of the full mini bottles of coco beach pigment on ebay last week. I paid 15 for it. I am not sure if this over retail, but wow it was worth it....an awesome shade. But it was one of those fight to the death auctions. I won in the last 3 seconds..lol

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by michy_mimi
I bought one of the full mini bottles of coco beach pigment on ebay last week. I paid 15 for it. I am not sure if this over retail, but wow it was worth it....an awesome shade. But it was one of those fight to the death auctions. I won in the last 3 seconds..lol

You lucky girl! You actually paid UNDER retail ($19.50)!

Summer

I haven't and wouldn't pay over retail because if I did, I would always question the source from which it came. Is it real, was it used? I won't buy anything used or lightly tested and I don't trust ebay or swap. Now if a store decided to raise their price, I would trust the store, and then I would buy over retail, but that doesn't happen.

Latest posts