Consultation with Carmindy from "What Not To Wear"

StArCaNdY

So I was on Carmindy's website and noticed she does private one-on-one makeup consultations. It says "the makeup consultation takes around 1 1/2 hours and includes brow grooming, makeup application with lesson, personal makeup bag analysis, shopping list of products, diagram of your customized look and constant contact information." I emailed to check the cost of this and guess what...its $1000!!! Thats ridiculous in my opinion. But hey everyone has to hustle one way or another. I'd do it if it were around $200 maybe $300. Oh well...

nics1972

:what::holysheep:
jawdrop.gif

Beauty Mark

That's what you get for wanting to go to a celebrity of sorts. I wonder how much bigger names can command.

kittenluvsmac

I just watched Carmindy on WNTW, and it seems that she always use the same products and gives the women the same kind of look. She wrote a book called "The 5-Minute Face," but IMO the information isn't groundbreaking. I get much better information and tips on sites like this one and MakeupAlley.com.

What I think is really gross is that I've seen her blow on her brushes to remove excess powder. That is so, so unsanitary.
puke.gif

I can think of better things to spend $1000 on!

archangeli

When she released a while back her book she did a guest signing and special appearance at the Sephora at the Toronto Eaton Centre. People could sign up for a free 5 minute consultation/ mini-makeover with her. Had I known those 5 minutes would have been worth $80+ I might have gone
winks.gif

SparklingWaves

I guess she is a makeup Diva now. I would be thrown out of my house if I paid $1,000 for a makeover. Hmm, I wonder how much my stash of makeup is worth. Anyway, I would want to see some permanent improvement on my face for her charges.

aeni

One of my instructors at school was laughing at her makeup. I'm sure she'd laugh harder when I tell her about this.

Takes another objective eye to help a face look its best. And artists (not just MAs) tend to imprint themselves in their work.

Jacq-i

I love her makeup, but the makeup she puts on other people isn't that amazing... But hey, if I become a multi-millionaire anytime soon I'll be there!
greengrin.gif

NutMeg

I think she's not bad.... But not bad does not mean that I am going to spend $1000 for her time. No offense, but I'm pretty damn good at doing my own makeup, and I doubt she could do it better.

StArCaNdY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
That's what you get for wanting to go to a celebrity of sorts. I wonder how much bigger names can command.

Yea..I wonder how much Jay Manuel from ANTM, Mally, and other celebrity MA's command
hmm.gif

captodometer

A haircut with Nick from WNTW is about $400. For a master stylist in NYC, it's not actually all that bad. And I was quite impressed with the style he did for the woman with the 'fro in the $50,000 episode.

I have natural hair and finding anyone who can actually work with it is probably priceless. I was actually going to go, but I lived upstate and could never find the time to make the trip down: 7 hours each way
ssad.gif

But no way would I pay $1000 for a makeup consultation! Not even if it were for my wedding.

Bernadette

I think the most ametuer counter artist at any brand could do what Carmindy does. First off, she has too many rules... "NEVER wear lipliner." Never this, never that. She does the same looks on everyone and they are usually color washes with no diemnsion. I also think it's gross that she applies products the back of her hands, especially lip products, uses the actual lip wands that are attached to lip products and blows on her brushes. $1,000 for a consultation is a joke and I'm guessing that she is too within the industry.

aeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
I think the most ametuer counter artist at any brand could do what Carmindy does. First off, she has too many rules... "NEVER wear lipliner." Never this, never that. She does the same looks on everyone and they are usually color washes with no diemnsion. I also think it's gross that she applies products the back of her hands, especially lip products, uses the actual lip wands that are attached to lip products and blows on her brushes. $1,000 for a consultation is a joke and I'm guessing that she is too within the industry.

I always thought you could use the back of your hand as a quick palette as long as your hands have been washed and used a antibacterial gel before hand? I wouldn't mix colors on the back of my hand but would use it if I had too much product on the brush initially. All the rest are absolute no-nos.

hawaiian_mele

WTF2.gif

I watched an episode the other day where a 24 year old woman who wore extreme eyeshadow came on for a makeover. When Carmindy came in for her consult she said she was excited to work with her because she obviously loved e/s. Carmindy told her that she was essentially going to show her how she could still use bold colors but have a more "fresh" look.

Okay so I totally understand having a more toned down face when at work but this girl was also a DJ at night so when it came time for Carmindy to do a more funky look I was horribly disappointed. Her eyes looked practically bare with some taupe shadow then black liner with a little bit of green liner on top to "funk it up". It was SO boring! I felt so awful for the girl, yes at work she needs to tone it down a bit but at night when she's going out and doing her DJ thing she can get away with something more exciting than green liner!

To hear that Carmindy's consults are $1000 is absolutely insane!
th_crazy2.gif

SingFrAbsoltion

She's not even that good. I think I can do my makeup better than what she does. It's the same look on everyone and when she puts on the pencil liner it always looks so sloppy it makes me cringe.

Latest posts