Cosmetologists, unite!

Sabrunka

Howdy, I'm an esthetician and sort of a make-up artist lol.. We were taught that as well in my esthetics course. I work part time at a spa and part time in the beauty boutique at shoppers drug mart in canada, we carry benefit, smashbox, lancome and clarins and stuff!

khmershortay

Just got my Cosmetology licensed in Maine. Plan on taking the state boards in NH and MA as well, because I plan on moving to MA. Currently I'm employed for a traveling spa company, I do up do and makeup for bridal parties. Love it! Trying to get a job at a salon as well but its hard to find a place that offer part time at first, I want to do this full time but i need to make sure the money is stable because of Loans and loans

PnmnianPrincess

Me Me Me! I'm a cosmetologist!! Despite going to THE worst school in my area, I still got my license. I went back to visit the school and found out the school has a 5% passing rate at state board!!! I should've known better than to have high expectations from a school that taught us that we didn't need to do even haircuts because state board didn't check that (totally serious). After school I had a hell of a time trying to find a salon because most salons in my area are so small they didn't take assistants and I wasn't strong enough as a hairstylist to work on my own. But now I'm working at a salon where the owner is an absolute DOLL and helps me out with everything. I couldn't be happier!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnmnianPrincess
Me Me Me! I'm a cosmetologist!! Despite going to THE worst school in my area, I still got my license. I went back to visit the school and found out the school has a 5% passing rate at state board!!! I should've known better than to have high expectations from a school that taught us that we didn't need to do even haircuts because state board didn't check that (totally serious). After school I had a hell of a time trying to find a salon because most salons in my area are so small they didn't take assistants and I wasn't strong enough as a hairstylist to work on my own. But now I'm working at a salon where the owner is an absolute DOLL and helps me out with everything. I couldn't be happier!

My school was TERRIBLE also, Its unfortunate to spend money on something that totally sucks.

PnmnianPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
My school was TERRIBLE also, Its unfortunate to spend money on something that totally sucks.

Isn't it? I spent $20,000 on my school and found out that the school my teachers liked to bash most was $7000 cheaper, had a huge inflow of clients, and has the highest passing rate in our area.
bangdesk.gif

Courtney <3

i start paul mitchell the school next month, im going for cosmetology. i might go back for my esthetician (sp) liscense in a few years. here in kentucky we have to have 1800 hours, which aparantly is the highest amount in the country?
im really excited to start school, it'll only take 13 months, if i dont miss school for anything. and im only seventeen so im getting an early start.

anyone have any advice about school in general for me? itd be greatly appreciated.

sinergy

well we only need 1500 in texas, but i think california needs about the same as you, i might be wrong...good luck with school, i hope you have an amazing experience, i was lucky enough to go to a great school with great educators. have fun and take everything in, even if you dont agree with the way something is being taught to you or someone elses technique, learn from it and take what you can out of everything. in this industry you can never really stop learning so use the internet and product line websites to further your knowledge. check out places like behindthechair.com for stylists/students or web forums of other students so you can share your experiences or see what others are up to and if you can check out a few hair shows, i was able to go to quite a few while i was in school and its helped now that i am out working in the real world, i make time to go to them still.

anyhow, good luck!! and let us know how it goes =)

MissAlexisDDD

Halfway through my 2100 hours! Ive been experimenting more with dry hair cutting (my school doesn't teach it) and I've been doing 90% of my cuts dry!

urthebhlder

Im a licensed stylist and i absolutely love wut i do...i started at a regis salon which is where i pickd up a lot of diversity (which is a great plus in this field) The school i graduated from was expensive but didnt teach much and i believe it is sad that alot of schools are that way but i am now self- employed and loving how much more money i am able to bring in; the main thing with this field is continuing to educate yourself and keeping up with the latest so that you never fall behind, a broader mind brings in more money!!and if it is truely your passion your work will speak for itself...
smiles.gif

MissAlexisDDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by urthebhlder
Im a licensed stylist and i absolutely love wut i do...i started at a regis salon which is where i pickd up a lot of diversity (which is a great plus in this field) The school i graduated from was expensive but didnt teach much and i believe it is sad that alot of schools are that way but i am now self- employed and loving how much more money i am able to bring in; the main thing with this field is continuing to educate yourself and keeping up with the latest so that you never fall behind, a broader mind brings in more money!!and if it is truely your passion your work will speak for itself...
smiles.gif

This! I hate how the majority of my instructors don't want to learn new techniques. Like I said in my last post, I'm teaching myself how to do dry cuts and I'm getting alot of flack for it yet alot of people I talk to that are currently working in salons, say it's becoming more and more popular and a good skill to learn. Makes me sad how people aren't open to learning.

But, on a different note. Anyone know any good blogs that devot themselves to hair stylists?

Courtney <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAlexisDDD
Halfway through my 2100 hours! Ive been experimenting more with dry hair cutting (my school doesn't teach it) and I've been doing 90% of my cuts dry!

the school im going to attend teaches dry cutting. which seems a little scary to me to be honest. ive been cutting/coloring my own hair for a few years now but the dry cutting just seems ... i dont know. hard lol

i guess i just dont like change?

MissAlexisDDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney <3
the school im going to attend teaches dry cutting. which seems a little scary to me to be honest. ive been cutting/coloring my own hair for a few years now but the dry cutting just seems ... i dont know. hard lol

i guess i just dont like change?

Just play with it
smiles.gif
Ive been trying to find different techniques and how to's online but what I find best is just playing with my mannequin. Its pretty much the same but, you can actually see what the outcome will be instead of wondering how it will dry. Its especially nice with curly hair!

PS: Jealous your school teaches you that.
ssad.gif

xsnowwhite

i loove dry cutting! i have super curly hair (and never wear it curly) so when i get it cut my friend straightens it completely then cuts it dry its alot easier that way to see what it will really look like.