Crappy valentine day candy/crappy gifts

melliquor

Last year, my husband and I weren't on speaking terms and skipped the whole day. I was so miserable and upset. i consider that to be my worst v day. This year... he made it up to me with flowers, candlelight dinner, and jewelry. The best valentines day that I ever had.

Briar

Saddest v-day gift ever... When I was a freshman in high school I recieved a rose at school on Valentines'. The card read "from a secret admirer". I went around the entire day on cloud-9 thinking someone in the school actually liked me. I should have known better... the rose was from my Mom.

Still don't know why she thought that was a good idea.

*KT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
Oh, geesh! No, I don't want anything cold and slippery. That's a turn off.

They're ok every now and then, but because they're so smooth and silky, the top sheet and our down comforter tend to want to SLIDE off the bed together. I feel the opposite about them though, I tend to feel too warm in satin sheets compared to the Egyptian cotton sateen that I'm accustomed to. I like my bedding to feel fresh & cool when I slip into it, but after that I want it to keep me comfortable/regulated. I get too warm in the satin.

Hilly

Oooh I got another silly v-day story (this is a lil late).
When I was in 4th grade, this boy who sat in front of me gave me a
halloween pin (for valentines day) with a big spider on it. But ya know, I still own it!

Phillygirl

My husband and I do not normally do anything for valentine's day, we are married 21 years and he spoils me daily anyway but this year he wanted to buy me an expensive handbag and I said no so he knows I kind of like vera bradley bags and took me to get one and I took him to dinner. It was a nice change. I do like the converstion hearts I ate the ones my sons g/f gave him, now he got his g/f a nice gift, a tiffany choker and they have been together 5 months,I love tiffany but it does not like me. I always mean to sell it on ebay but forget. They turn black on me in 4 days so I buy the knockoffs.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
Well, it wasn't for Valentine's day that I received something really unusual. I was taken care of an elderly lady and she passed from natural causes. We were very close. She was a living little doll. Her son wanted to give me something special for taking really good care of her. He gave me all of his mother's unused enemas. It was a total of 72 boxes.
icon_eek.gif

I saw the title of the thread and somehow my mind linked it to that memory. Who in Hell, but me receives enemas? Yes, it's the thought. I know. Wait! ???

OK. I clicked the "thanks" button for Lara's post about being grateful for any gift that you receive, but I just don't know what I would think in that situation. Maybe: "Oh, wow! You shouldn't have! No, really. You shouldn't have." :X

Phillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
OK. I clicked the "thanks" button for Lara's post about being grateful for any gift that you receive, but I just don't know what I would think in that situation. Maybe: "Oh, wow! You shouldn't have! No, really. You shouldn't have." :X

I must have half read the OP or not paying attention but that is just strange!

AmberLilith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
....I hate when people are anti-Valentines Day.

..Sorry, I'm not into Valentine's day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate
I don't need a special day to spoil my wife......which is why I think it's lame.

^^That's one reason.

I also don't like being bought stuff 'because tradition says this is the day we honour our relationship'. No, that's what our anniversary is for, if we want a particular day.

I really prefer spontaneity. Gifts just because I saw something he might like n randomly bought it... surprise, no expectations...

I also hate that shops get flooded with tacky red stuff. And that all the card displays get reduced to make space for V-day cards (same happens at Yule etc) so it's harder to find a nice birthday card for someone whose birthday is near then.

As for gifts, i once got a box of chocolates. Not from my current boyfriend. The only reason that was not so good is that it signified that he didn't know me very well.

Phillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLilith
..Sorry, I'm not into Valentine's day.

^^That's one reason.

I also don't like being bought stuff 'because tradition says this is the day we honour our relationship'. No, that's what our anniversary is for, if we want a particular day.

I really prefer spontaneity. Gifts just because I saw something he might like n randomly bought it... surprise, no expectations...

I also hate that shops get flooded with tacky red stuff. And that all the card displays get reduced to make space for V-day cards (same happens at Yule etc) so it's harder to find a nice birthday card for someone whose birthday is near then.

As for gifts, i once got a box of chocolates. Not from my current boyfriend. The only reason that was not so good is that it signified that he didn't know me very well.

I like it. I even do a little something for my children. My husband and I do not need reasons to give gifts, yesterday I was down and he surprised me with a clinique lipstick called Beauty just because he knows how much I like lipsticks.
Other than that I look forward to valentines day and the decorations.

STolEn_KisS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate
If you have to buy a valentine's day gift and you have been in hte relationship for more than a year....I feel sorry for you.

Lmaest shit ever!

What's wrong with buying gifts for valentines? I love buying stuff for my bf and we've been together for 3 yrs. I also love getting gifts from him.

Phillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by STolEn_KisS
What's wrong with buying gifts for valentines? I love buying stuff for my bf and we've been together for 3 yrs. I also love getting gifts from him.

I am married 21 years and agree. I feel a certain sense of bitterness maybe sadness in the post you quoted.
ssad.gif

To each his own but no one needs to feel sorry for me as I am doing just fine:p

STolEn_KisS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillygirl
I am married 21 years and agree. I feel a certain sense of bitterness maybe sadness in the post you quoted.
ssad.gif

To each his own but no one needs to feel sorry for me as I am doing just fine:p

smiles.gif
that's awesome that u've been married that long.

Phillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by STolEn_KisS
smiles.gif
that's awesome that u've been married that long.

smiles.gif
21 yrs and going strong and have celebrated every valentines day too! mothers day,hanukah,christmas etc.. I swear i am perfectly fine, sure everyone has some bad times and if I want something I do not have to wait for this days to get it. It breaks up the months and little niceties to look forward too. My 20 yr old even called me from sephora last week and asked what I wanted. I was shocked but so pleased.

gatsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
I've never received a "crappy" gift from anyone. A Gift is a Gift and its never mandatory..., and its the thought that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
A gift is a gift, regardless of what the gift actually is. Don't be ungrateful about it, just appreciate the sentiment behind it.

Yeah, but sometimes a crappy gift can be worse than no gift at all. Like a present that says, "I can't even be bothered to think of something you'd like, I just bought you something cheap and undesirable for form's sake." So I guess you're right, it is the thought that counts :p

As an example (OT) I'm reminded of the "gifts" that Starbuck's gives their baristas at Christmas. This year, baristas got a teeny-weeny little keychain, and everybody got the same one. The things literally broke by the end of the day. Nothing says "we cares about you" like useless, poorly-made crap. It left a worse taste in baristas' mouths than if the company just hadn't done anything at all.

redambition

the only valentine's day gifts i've ever really gotten are from my mum. the SO just doesn't do valentine's day.

*shrug*

melozburngr

I got the flu for V-day, it was amazing.
smiles.gif
I got to enjoy it (and a week of unpaid vacation) for almost 2 weeks! YAY!\

also, I'd like to agree with the post about a bad , thoughtless gift is worse than nothing at all. It just shows that the person doesnt care enough to think about you, I'd much rather something inexpensive and thoughtful than something expensive and generic.