Deneuve wears fur?

pucci

Fur fan Deneuve takes a faux pass

Fur-bearing movie star Catherine Deneuve won't be cowed by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

"Before you ask, it is real fur," the warmly dressed French icon revealed the other night at a Grand Classics screening of her 1998 film "Place Vendome." "I can promise you that I have never worn fake fur and I never will. These people PETA - who go around throwing things at people - are ridiculous. I don't agree with people being told what they can and can't do. And for me, there are more important things in the world to get upset about."

PETA President Ingrid Newkirk isn't a fan. "Perhaps Ms. Deneuve should change her name to De-vieux," Newkirk hissed, using the French word for "old," "since she thinks in a very old-fashioned way that animals are nothing more than objects waiting to be made into movie stars' coats." She added that PETA has sent videos to the 62-year-old Deneuve "that would make most women weep."

Meow.

I was just wondering how some other ladies felt about this? I know MAC's stance on animal welfare is quite satisfactory to me, which is another reason I
eyelove.gif
it so. I guess I am a little disappointed they would market a woman who openly wears fur. What does everyone else think? (I hope this is in the right section).

karen

It doesn't bother me, really. I don't personally wear fur, but I do wear leather.
It would hypocritical for me to say one is okay and one isn't.

amandamakeup

I have to say the same thing, I wear leather, I have alot of leather jackets, I wear leather shoes, and I eat meat.
I know its wrong to kill animals, but I would be a hippocrite to say anything bad about it.

theleopardcake

I don't really have a problem with wearing fur, although I understand where PETA is coming from. However, I also think it's a bit immature of the organization to be harrassing women who choose to wear fur.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theleopardcake
I don't really have a problem with wearing fur, although I understand where PETA is coming from. However, I also think it's a bit immature of the organization to be harrassing women who choose to wear fur.

I agree with you. I have seen some of those PETA videos and the treatment of animals is wrong. But at the same time I eat meat and wear leather shoes and accessories. But I also think that the tactics PETA uses are too much sometimes. My mom wear fur and she said she wishes someone would try to throw paint on her!

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theleopardcake
However, I also think it's a bit immature of the organization to be harrassing women who choose to wear fur.

Someone has to speak up for the animals. They can't do it themselves and for sure, if someone was to wear a fur coat made of puppies you would most likely have a problem with it but why are their different cercumstances for different creatures? Why is ones life more valuble than anothers? Just a little food for thought.

afterglow

I think it's interesting that MAC would feature her, when they're against animal testing. Or maybe I have it wrong, and they not against it, but just don't do animal testing. But it doesn't really bother me, because like most people here, I eat meat all the time, and yeah, I have leather bags and shoes. I just think it's funny because they featured Pamela Anderson for Viva Glam V, who is a rep of PETA, and then now they also have Catherine Deneuve who obviously has opposing views on the subject matter.

exodus

I have a very limited knowledge on how fur products are made compared to leather/meat products. The major difference that I know of is that most fur products are made from baby animals (their fur is much softer) and they are killed in an extremely inhumane manner so that their fur would be in tip top condition. Whereas cows, chickens etc are killed quickly and (supposedly) painlessly for their meat and leather is generally a by-product of the process. I might be completely off the mark though, and if I am please do correct me.

user4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamakeup
I have to say the same thing, I wear leather, I have alot of leather jackets, I wear leather shoes, and I eat meat.
I know its wrong to kill animals, but I would be a hippocrite to say anything bad about it.

u know i never really looked at it that way... except that things like mink are used solely to make fur coats and they use like dozens of minks for one fur coat... and the rest is garbage... at least the meat i eat is used to feed people and the remainder or the cow is used to make clothing... mink anyone? i dont, however, see a HUGE problem with it. i would never buy a fur coat, i think it's cruel (and not very nice looking imho) but i cant really go screaming at someone who choses to.

shriekingviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterglow
I think it's interesting that MAC would feature her, when they're against animal testing. Or maybe I have it wrong, and they not against it, but just don't do animal testing.

Maybe it's because they think there's a difference? I know I do, as do many of the nonvegetarians out there who find animal testing cruel. It's one thing to kill an animal quickly so you can eat its flesh or use its fur and hide, it's another to torture it to death or other injury over and over again to test the safety of a luxury item. Not to say that people can't feel both are wrong, but to many of us giving a quick death to an animal is hardly the same thing as (say) dropping nail polish on a bunny's eye over and over again and recording the results, and then testing another bunny to see if the same thing happens.

There are plenty of good ethical cases to be made against fur, but I don't think it's an identical issue so stances on each can differ.

MeganGMcD

missing a word

I think it's interesting that people riot against fur but still are OK with the buying Diamonds. If you knew the loss and suffering of human lives diamond costs would you protest people who chose to wear diamonds?
I just find it crazy that people will lay down their lives for mink yet still support an industry that supports Genocidal warloard and Al Qaeda.

pucci

I wonder if they invited Pammy to the launch! I think she'd have a thing or two to say to Catherine!
For what it's worth I loved KFC as well, and drool everytime I walk past, but I still haven't eaten meat for 4 years.

pucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganGMcD
I think it's interesting that people riot against fur but still are OK with the buying Diamonds. If you knew the loss and suffering of human lives diamond costs would you protest people who chose to wear diamonds?
I just find it crazy that people will lay down their lives for mink yet still support an industry that supports Genocidal warloard and Al Qaeda.

Some people have different goals, not everyone can save everything/one from mistreatment. I'm sure there are people out there who protest against diamonds. Who has been rioting over mink? Also, Australia is fighting the war against Al Qaeda (terror), not the war against Mink wearers. People are able to disagree with many things at once. Being anti fur does not make you pro-diamond, does it?

shriekingviolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci
Being anti fur does not make you pro-diamond, does it?

I don't think she was making that statement, I think she was saying that anti-fur movements have much more traction in our culture than the anti-diamond. I happen to agree with her on that one. People wearing fur always seem to stir up comments, while the abuses of the diamond industry aren't nearly as well known but as just as bad if not worse, so you didn't see many people harassing diamand wearers. There wasn't much moral uprising against the bling trend that I can recall. I personally wouldn't wear one, unless I knew for a fact it was either lab created or came from Canada with the Polar Ice company. Otherwise, it's likely a DeBeers diamond, so who knows if the one you're buying came from Australia or somewhere like Tanzania or Sierra Leone?

But then that's just me. I've so many pictures of African kids in mining areas with limbs cut off to make examples out of them, that I can't not cry when those stupid "Diamonds Are Forever" commercials come on TV.

Hawkeye

I dont mind people who takes a stand against fur. I personally wouldnt wear it unless it was a life or death situation. Someone does have to give a voice to other species but theres a time and place and a WAY to do it that is much more effective.

HOWEVER, I personally do not like PeTA in any sense of what they are. They are an extreamist group that values the life of a rabbit over a human. I find them very fanatical and I am usually offended by half the stuff they bring out (the holocost anybody? The Slavery issue? They actually compare ANIMALS to this!)

I personally believe that animals have rights and they shouldn't be put up to cruel and unusual deaths or anything of that nature. However these same people that throw such fits about cruelty are also the same ones who say that its OK for an animal to be euthenized. But I thought they didnt want them to die in the first place?

Personally, I have to agree with Catherine on this one. I mean I cannot respect a group of people who try to force people to believe what they believe. I can't do it. I can't respect people who will dress up like slaughtered cows in public in front of children who are very impressionable, who resort to violence and throwing eggs and such at people (yet these are the same people who interestingly enough will tell you that the war in iraq is bad and violence is not the answer), and I cannot respect an organization who would even think to consider and COMPARE the civil rights movement to animal cruelty or the holocost.

OK now that my rant about Peta and how I find it a completely useless organization because it does more harm then good...why did mac choose her? Well it's kind of like this, just because they associate with somebody who does something doesnt mean they themselves promote it. EX: I am very conservative but my best friend is very liberal. Just because I hang out with her I love her family doesn't change what my values are. Those are her values not mine. But we still respect each other. They are two different entities with a mutual respect for one another.

Now I've read someone wanted to know why a little animals life is less valuable then anothers (ie: A rat versus a cat) this is the way the people at PeTA think (and I was a former member and I'm so glad I stopped-but I SHOULD tell you that I believe all life should be respected).....

There is no differentiation between the life of an animal and the life of a human (that's how the PeTA folks think). For example: They are actually WILLING to kill a human for an animal (in the most extreame cases). Now no life among the animal kingdom should be differentiated (and it isn't in their mind) yet here's the thing: If it weren't for some of the animals (and this kills me to write it but I will to put it in more perspective) that have died due to scientific studies-we would not have a lot of the medicine that we have to help cure people. How many more people would die due to something like small pox? Or Polio? Or TB?

At this point you have to weigh the perspectives. Which would be the most beneficial? I guess I'm just annoyed that people are sometimes so close minded saying: Well just because so and so wears fur I dont like them and wont be buying stuff from them. Thats just as silly as me saying, " Well just because a lot of hollywood stars are against George W. Bush I'm not going to watch their movies!" It's silly and it's close minded. You have to look at it from every perspective to make a fair and balanced decision.

And it gets even sillier when people are like in a position where they are on their death bed and they have the choice to take a drug that has been proven time and time and time again to heal whatever sickness it is (lets say pneumonia) and this drug has been tested on animals. You have the choice to take it and it will cure you you can live another 60-70 years whatever but you decided you won't take this drug because it was tested on animals. You refuse to take a medicine that can cure your pneumonia because you dont like the fact it was tested on animals. Then you get worse and worse and you refuse to take the drug and then you die. (theoretically of course)

I mean I think thats what frustraites me the most about these animal activists. MANY (not all) will do the above. They would rather die and cut their own lives short for the lives of some rats. It just irritates me.

And you know I am against animal testing in the cosmetic world because I think there are other ways now with modern technology.

Now I know a bunch of people will hate me for this post but oh well, if people can get upset over this I can get upset over Peta
smiles.gif

OK now I'm off my soap box. Thank you for allowing me to lecture
smiles.gif

Hawkeye

One more thing-Shrinking Violet-I actually had the opprotunity to go to South Africa a few years back. I saw some of those kids...its heart wrenching.
ssad.gif