• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Depotting so so so easy [text]

User27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennah
I think this is the best way to de-pot!

I made a video tutorial on this method...
YouTube - 7Rennah's Guide to De-Potting MAC Eyeshadows

I always put the black tray upside down on the paper towel and pop the tin out once it's heated. In the video, there's a part where you pry the pan out via the side but popping it out while upside down gives you less of a chance to chip the sides of your eye shadow. I've got a steady hand almost always and have broken 2 eye shadows my whole run.
yes.gif

Retropinuplady

I finally did it,i depotted them,i did kinda break two as well when i was getting the hangof it but no worries theres plenty of tips on ebay about how to fix them x

User27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropinuplady
I finally did it,i depotted them,i did kinda break two as well when i was getting the hangof it but no worries theres plenty of tips on ebay about how to fix them x

It took me watching a video Resha did to get the nerve to try again. Now I don't know what held me up so long and am like god, the beauty of a palette instead of those loose single eye shadows.
th_DANCE.gif
I keep around alcohol just in case I need to fix one but the 2 I broke are ages ago now but like a girl scout, I'd rather be prepared.

Shypo

I've been trying to get all of my shadows depotted - I've screwed a couple of them up but c'est la vie!

I actually use a pair of bamboo tongs (small ones from Pampered Chef) to hold the both shadow pot and the empty container (to get the label off) and it works quite well without me burning my fingers. Both containers fit very well in the ridges of the tongs. I hold the shadow pot under the dryer for about 45-60 seconds (sometimes longer if the glue is stubborn) and about 10 seconds for the label. I'm using a Babyliss tourmaline hair dryer (don't know how many watts, it's downstairs
001_unsure.gif
). I then use the exacto to pry the metal shadow pot out (I can't seem to just 'pop' them out for some reason).

I've decorated my palettes (see Traincase) so that I know what colors are in which one.

obscuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by queli13
oh wow, i definitely prefer blow dryer to candle or lighter! much safer!

Yeah, the whole candle/lighter thing freaks me out because I am afraid I will burn myself.

My depotting method uses my flat iron. I just put a piece of wax/parchment paper over it and then rest the potted item on it for 2 minutes. Works like a charm.

laulovesbilly

Does anyone know how to do this with the new NYX trios? They don't have a snapout piece anymore, the bottom part is one entire plastic piece. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
ssad.gif

Latest posts