Desperatly in need of your help

Pascal

Ok hello everyone I am in desperate need of your help on my situation and I thank you in advance for reading and replying to me.

Ok so I am 25 years old and I moved out of my parents' house in June of this year, now I swore that I would have never left my parents' house before I was married but my family has really fallen apart this year and it was too much for me to cope with. My parents constantly argued over my younger 24 year old sister, my mother has completeley lost all patience and yells at me and threatens to throw my things out, without me doing ANYTHING to her and she never use to do that to me, so that is why I left I couldn't take it anymore, the stress was an OVERLOAD and I was carrying the WEIGHT OF THE WORLD on my shoulders. Everytime my parents had an argument I had to be there beside my mom comforting her, or on the phone with my dad trying to reason with him to please come back home, just imagine the song FAMILY PORTRAIT by P!NK, That's the world I was living in. So I had to save myself and my sanity because as you all know I have been suicidal in the past and staying at home would have drivin me right back onto the edge of suicide. So anyways the important thing to remember is that now my lease will be up and I have to give the leasing office an answer in regards to if I want to continue my lease or I need to give them a 30 day notice, I had already decided I wasn't going back home until my parents were completeley stable, and ther aren't there all the way yet, they've just begun behaving and controlling their emotions and actions. But it came up in a conversation about a month ago between my parents and I , and my mom seriously has hope that I will be coming back home to live with her and my dad again, but it is not in my plans any time soon until they fix their issues because I cannot be subject to their environment. So for the past month I have been losing it, I don't know what to do... Should I go back home? my parents said they promise that for my sake they will not fight ... Should I stay out living on my own until things cool downa little more between the family? my mom says to me that if I just came back home she would be so much happier and she wouldn't be depressed, she says that losing me was the worst thing that ever happenned to her and that when she walks into my room and sees thats its empty that it just breaks her heart and she cries. I know my mother is sincere, but is she going to be patient and not yell at me like she promises ? What I do know is that my mother became emotionally worse when I left, she fought with my father 10x more then when I was around, in other words I think that my parents felt bad to fight infront of me so they fought less when I was around, but increased when I left because they have their freedom to argue and not be ashamed of their fights. My mother aknowledges that too.

I like living out on my own becasue I have my own appliances I do my laundry when I want to I do everything on my own schedule rather then on my moms, I do not bring over guys and boink them lol. I'm a very disciplined girl for my age and I respect myself, I just wanted PEACE OF MIND and I have it living out on my own. Also I feel like I have something that meakes me feel like an independent woman ... my own little place. I still go to my parents' house on the weekends and stay there and when it's time for me to leave in the mornings my mom asks me "do you want to come back and spend the night again"? I tell her " No I have to wake up early tomorrow, maybe next week" and she gives me this look like I feel so guilty to say not to her or I am gulity for liking being out on my own. I leave my parents house crying for the past month but they don't know, I sleep crying and wake up crying becasue I don't know what to do... I am so confused I mean this is as big a step to go back as it was to leave the first time. Am I going to regret it if I give a thirty day notice? Will it be better for my mom emotionally? I mean heres what eating me up inside. If I stay at my apartment and sign a new lease my mom will get more emotionally sad and more lonely, and I will be happy with my space and living situation, or if I move back in woth my parents and my mother doesn't stay patient with me and starts to yell at me again what will I do then? my family is the only thing that pushes my to the edge of the cliff, they are the only ones who cause me to feel like I am worthless, and a waste of a human when they are having problems, ther are the only ones who will cause me to want to kill myself because as you all know I am a very weak person when my mother says something hurtful to me and in order for me retalliate against her I will try to hurt the one person that means the world to her .... Myself....

Sorry for writing all of this but I have no friends to turn to and I need an opinion rather then a hers or my dads.

Thanks for your help....

Shimmer

Quote:
my family is the only thing that pushes my to the edge of the cliff, they are the only ones who cause me to feel like I am worthless, and a waste of a human when they are having problems, ther are the only ones who will cause me to want to kill myself

Then why go back?

Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Then why go back?

Hi Shimmer, well like I said my mom gives me a guilt trip everytime I leave and I always consider other peoples feelings more important than mine, then I start to wonder if I am selfish for living out on my own ???? It's just confusing and driving me crazy....

Shimmer

Not at all, IMO.

If you're entering into a toxic environment willingly, there's a problem.
If your mom is laying on the guilt trip just tell her "I really like living on my own. I like my independence. Moving home wouldn't be good for me. I know you miss me, but you can shoot me an email or a text message anytime."

Your mom's a grown woman, you're not responsible for her feelings or perception of the world...you're only responsible for yourself and your actions.

Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Not at all, IMO.

If you're entering into a toxic environment willingly, there's a problem.
If your mom is laying on the guilt trip just tell her "I really like living on my own. I like my independence. Moving home wouldn't be good for me. I know you miss me, but you can shoot me an email or a text message anytime."

Your mom's a grown woman, you're not responsible for her feelings or perception of the world...you're only responsible for yourself and your actions.

I know and she totally knows that if she wants me to come over I'm a phone call away, I live down the street from her too... She can see my apartment complex from her balcony, I mean I didn't even move a freeway exit awy from her, just down the hill... she's super close to me and anytime she needs me I never say no to her, I just feel like emotionally it's better for me to stay out of the house because they have just clouded my mind, ruined my ambitions and made me feel miserable this year. This has been the worst year of my life too becasue of my sister, and my parents, I actually think I ran away from all three of them and now it's like I'll be running be back into the tornoado you know !!

ginger9

The family guilt can be a very powerful thing. But everything you've said points to misery and destruction if you go back. You need to realize you can't fix their problems (even though you're being a good daughter) they are grown people and need to sort it out themselves.

Fyi strictly side note, after one year I think you shud be able to go into a month to month leasing agreement. Its quite common in Toronto anyway...you might want to ask for that. More flexibility for you. Also don't worry too much about signing leases the economy's in the sh#tter landlords will be falling over each other to get to you. So don't stress take a deep breath. Sounds like you're doing well otherwise kid.
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

I would stay on your own. Why would you go back? I figure you love your mother very much, but I think you also need to realize she sounds rather selfish and manipulative.

I ask you two questions. How is moving back home going to help YOU? How is it going to possibly hurt YOU? You need to look out for yourself, since it sounds like going back home is ultimately leading to unhappiness.

I also hope you have support system in place where you are. A therapist (I hope you have visited one), friends, etc. Good luck.

NutMeg

I think you should do what is best for you. I know it's hard to see your family in the state they're in, but you are not responsible for their happiness or their emotional well-being. Does it suck that you have to see them like that? Absolutely. Should you feel guilty for the fact that you are taking positive steps towards being a happy and fulfilled individual? Not a chance. It's not your fault, it's not your responsibility. You have a responsibility to take care of yourself, and I think you should do that in whatever way you see fit.

Holy Rapture

Pascal, though I don't know you, I can really tell what it's like ... The most important thing right now, should be YOU. Had your stayin home meant so much to your parents, they wouldn't have fought in the first place! I know they tell you if you come back, they'll try to better it n stuff. Don't take that b/c they're grown up people, they will not change their ways! It's true, even if they might want to, they will jus not be able to ... I also get from your post that you really enjoy stayin on your own ... Well, of course, you're 25 n totally sensible ... Independent as well, then why not stay that way ? It's not like you're livin half a world away n you cannot c or meet them ... You'll be there for each other but, no matter how much time passes, it'd be really good for you to stay on your own ... Have faith in your actions more than anything else! G'luck .. Hope you make the right choice
smiles.gif

stacylynne

You can not be your mom's security blanket. Of course you love her very much, but you have your own life to live. You're holding onto anger & guilt that does not belong to you.

The anger is between your parents & your younger sister.
You moving back in will just put a band aide on the situation in the begining & u'll be living in a toxic environment. Soon enough it will go back to the same old thing.

I totally understand family issues are very difficult to control & to overcome. But you are 25 years old & you have to live life for you nor for your mom. You don't want your whole life to go by & you had to protect your mom. She has to learn how to talk her own battles & confrontations.

I don't mean to come off harsh. If I do, I appologize. But I have been down this road before w/ family.
We all have family issues. You are not alone.

I strongly suggest you go into therapy to talk out your issues. Suggest to your mom she should go into therapy as well (DO NOT share the same therapist).

I wish you the best of luck & do what's good for you & only you. This is not being selfish @ all. You have to do what's good for you

Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylynne
You can not be your mom's security blanket. Of course you love her very much, but you have your own life to live. You're holding onto anger & guilt that does not belong to you.

The anger is between your parents & your younger sister.
You moving back in will just put a band aide on the situation in the begining & u'll be living in a toxic environment. Soon enough it will go back to the same old thing.

I totally understand family issues are very difficult to control & to overcome. But you are 25 years old & you have to live life for you nor for your mom. You don't want your whole life to go by & you had to protect your mom. She has to learn how to talk her own battles & confrontations.

I don't mean to come off harsh. If I do, I appologize. But I have been down this road before w/ family.
We all have family issues. You are not alone.

I strongly suggest you go into therapy to talk out your issues. Suggest to your mom she should go into therapy as well (DO NOT share the same therapist).

I wish you the best of luck & do what's good for you & only you. This is not being selfish @ all. You have to do what's good for you

I agree with the idea of a therapist, because I use to see one all the time when I was depressed years ago, and I saw her again in the beginning of this year before I moved out, but I have been able to deal with the family issues on my own up until a month ago, I have been walking on eggshells. I also suggested that my mom take ANGER MANAGEMENT courses , I gave her the phone # to Kaiser to get some help so she can control her emotions and reactions to things that make her angry. I know this would help her because I have been to an anger management class before and it helps you a lot, even just going once would help open her eyes. But she thinks there is nothing wrong with her, and that her yelling is justified no matter how loud she was, and that one of us caused her to become so angry. My mom and I are very close almost like sisters, we laugh, joke and have fun together, however she is very dependent on my emotionally, and last night she told my dad that she will not accept the fact that I may not move back into her home, she said that if I don't move back in with her that she is going to move back to the middle east, where we are originally from. She doesn't know that I know she has said that, but by me hearing about her reaction to me possibly NOT coming back home to her home puts me in a corner, like I HAVE TO go back home and she won't accept for me to stay out on my own, and she blames my dad cause I work for him and earn a living from him, she said to him that if he didn't pay me as much as he does, that I would have stayed at home living with her and my father and I wouldn't be able to affird to move out. I remember times when she wanted the house to herself in the mornings she would tell me " it's 8:30 aren't you supposed to be at work by now?" she would sometimes ruch me out of the house, like she wants me there at night but needs me out early in the mornings, and if it's past 8:30 am holy shit I have to run.... or I may get yelled at. It is a very difficult situation becuase I love her so much and I feel like my moving out has caused her to become what she is, but that is not fair is it? Also my mom grew up in a worse environment , her mother yelled and so did her father, there was never abuse of any kind, but just my mom grew up with her parents fighting over her brother, and she cou;dn't take it anymore so after 1 year of knowing my father she married him, and she couldn't wait to run away / get away from her parents and her brother, and it seems as if that is also my situation, I ran awy from my family and rightfully so. She doesn't understand that I ran away from my family the way she ran awy from hers, only I am not married, I am single. and she swears up and down that if I was married that she wouldn't have a problem with me living outside of her home simply cause I'd be a married woman, what difference does it make when our family is dysfunctional ? wheather I'm married or not ? and my mom promised my dad about 3 weeks ago that if he came back hoem she would get help but she didn't, maybe she just agreed to get help to get my dad to come back but never intended on it, I cannot deal with this anymore, I can't tell if she's manipulative, or what anymore I am very confused.
crybaby.gif

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal
I can't tell if she's manipulative

She is. Do not go home. You will regret it as soon as you walk through the door.

How old are you?

Shadowy Lady

Hey Pascal, some ppl like to be in control all the time and for gaining that control, they go as far as manipulating other ppl (especially those close to them) emotionally. I agree with many of the other posters. At this point in time, do what's best for you. Even if your mom threatens to go back to Middle East, just do your own thing. This type of ppl mostly just threaten to get you to listen and do what they want...to be in control.

I know this is a difficult situation but you have to be strong and think of you only for now. Please feel free to pm me if you want. I'm around your age and also of middle eastern background...and I've been in a situation very similar to yours
smiles.gif

Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
Hey Pascal, some ppl like to be in control all the time and for gaining that control, they go as far as manipulating other ppl (especially those close to them) emotionally. I agree with many of the other posters. At this point in time, do what's best for you. Even if your mom threatens to go back to Middle East, just do your own thing. This type of ppl mostly just threaten to get you to listen and do what they want...to be in control.

I know this is a difficult situation but you have to be strong and think of you only for now. Please feel free to pm me if you want. I'm around your age and also of middle eastern background...and I've been in a situation very similar to yours
smiles.gif

Hi, well i spoke with my mom today and she was still asking me what my decision was going to be... I told her that I have 15 days til' I have to give the leasing office a notice ... and that I think its best for me to stay out of the house. She said "well do you not love me, do you not miss me ? what about all of those years I spent raisng you and loving you?"
I said "it has nothing to do with missing you or loving you, theres not doubt I miss u alot and that I love you alot, theres just an unhealthy environment in the home and that day I decided to move out you had lost all patientce with me because you had so many things on your mind, you threatened to throw out my belongings, I did nothing to you that day and you took it out on me" and she responded " well ofcourse all parents are going to yell at their kids, it doesn't mean you have to move out and never move back in, and plus if you sign another lease then I know you will NEVER come back home to me" This whole middle eastern bullsh*t really gets to me, the way they think, the way they fuc*ing are, and if I sign another lease it doesn't mean I am NEVER going back home to my parents, it just means that I need to see improvement.

And btw, she and my dad promised that they would do their best not to fight for my sake, so they can prove to me that they are stable, and they have been but I have been out of their home since June 2008 and we are in November, why wait all this time??? Just to get me back home??? I mean she has asked me before if I was coming home and I always said I don't know yet, and that was a truthful answer and it still is, but when I hear her cry on the phone and I feel like I have caused her to cry I breakdown and cry too, so I am very emotionally sad and confused as the week goes by ... Arab parents or not, family problems plague all races of human beings.

Shadowy Lady

^^ Pascal, I'm Persian. I think middle eastern parents can be a lil too dramatic, your case is a good example.

I really don't see why you should go back and live with your parents. You are 25 and you have a right to live on your own, especially in a situation like this. Moving out does not mean divorcing your parents, it mean that you will be away so you can get emotionally stable. If you feel depressed and God forbid suicidal, how on Earth will you help them?

Please try to understand that it is not your duty to emotionally baby sit your parents, it should be the other way around really. I think again this whole thing about her saying that if you don't move back means you don't love her is a clear case of manipulating you emotionally. You know you love her, she knows you love her; there's nothing to prove there. It's just your mom trying to gain control...

Best of luck girl, try to stay positive, plz don't move back home and take care of yourself only for a while

Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
^^ Pascal, I'm Persian. I think middle eastern parents can be a lil too dramatic, your case is a good example.

I really don't see why you should go back and live with your parents. You are 25 and you have a right to live on your own, especially in a situation like this. Moving out does not mean divorcing your parents, it mean that you will be away so you can get emotionally stable. If you feel depressed and God forbid suicidal, how on Earth will you help them?

Please try to understand that it is not your duty to emotionally baby sit your parents, it should be the other way around really. I think again this whole thing about her saying that if you don't move back means you don't love her is a clear case of manipulating you emotionally. You know you love her, she knows you love her; there's nothing to prove there. It's just your mom trying to gain control...

Best of luck girl, try to stay positive, plz don't move back home and take care of yourself only for a while

my father says she likes to control everyone
also it's maybe hard for me to see it as control because I grew up 25 years with her and I have only been out for 6 months so maybe Im use to it ...

Beauty Mark

Quote:
I can't tell if she's manipulative, or what anymore I am very confused.

If she's guilt tripping you, threatening to move back to the Middle East (I wouldn't be surprised if she knows that you'd find), and wants your father to pay you less in order for you to live at home, she is being manipulative and controlling.

Lauren1981

imo i think you should stay on your own.

you basically said she treated you like shit while you were there but now that you're out on your own she throws the guilt trip on you..... i mean, no disrespect to your mom but her emotions are a little unstable and to make you feel guilty for wanting to get out of that is pretty damn selfish if you aske me. her problems with your dad are strictly that: HER PROBLEMS ARE WITH YOUR DAD. not you. if you've been suicidal and she knows that then i'm sure she's aware that these actions are pushing you back in that direction but she wants you to live in that???? it's selfish and inconsiderate and i think you'll do much better on your own and i personally think you should stay on your own. not just until things cool down because the degree of the fighting and arguments is pretty severe to just be solved in a matter of days or weeks, ya know?

she can figure things out on her own but she doesn't need to bring down with her in the process. like i said, no disrespect to your mom but you need to be comfortable wherever you live and to be able to live your own life without the weight of someone else's drama on your shoulders

i'm sure you're much happier on your own, right? i wouldnt let the guilt trip have any effect on me if it were me. and i know that's easier said than done but why don't you, instead of going over there so much (because you said you always leave crying) just make sure you call her on a normal basis. YOU have to be the judge of whether or not YOU'RE comfortable going over there again. not her.

but in the end, the decision is totally up to you so i hope it all works out
yes.gif

Latest posts